I got quote from two companies

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Leesa

I got quote from two companies

Postby Leesa » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:08 pm

The others never contacted me........so they are out of a job. One showed up unannounced when I wasn't home so my mother met with them. However, he was unable to ever work with me outside of Business hours.............that was United. Quote is missing some items because my mom forgot them.......not her fault! both gave total not to exceed...They have dot numbers.......United was $2057.68 this is without the insurance. And like I said some stuff wasn't taken into consideration..not a whole lot.
North American was the second one. He was able to meet me after I got home from work and that quote was $2193.07. I'm forgetting what other things I need to consider. Oh, and those of you you haven't read my post I am moving from KS to FL. I am leaning toward North American.

Diane

Re: I got quote from two companies

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:41 pm

What specific companies (agents) are you considering?

Leesa

Postby Leesa » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:29 pm

Diane wrote:What specific companies (agents) are you considering?

The United one is FryWagner Moving and Storage out of Lenexa, KS and North American is Kings Moving and Storage in my town, Lawrence, KS. The North American guy said he they moved the Treasures of the Czar. He talked about their policy if something gets damaged......what is covered....what insurance would cost......
The companies that didn't call back.....Allied and Professional Movers...(PMS). PMS is local as well. I've known of 4 people who have used them locally. I left a message with the person on Saturday. She never called back. My guess is she doesn't want the business. At any rate, two of the people who used them (my sister and my aunt were happy with them, a friend of my mom's was not because I guess they scratched her baby grand piano, and my friends used them and they refused to move some furniture up the stairs so my friend's step-father and brother in-law had to do it and they were really late to do the pick up because the person they moved earlier was not ready when they arrived. Oh and Atlas never called. My aunt and uncle used United YEARS ago when they moved from Oregon to KS and were happy with them, my paternal grandmother apparently was not happy with them when she did the same move I guess a chair got damaged and she did get reimbursed. My parents used North American YEARS ago...1972 I think, when we moved here from Virginia and were happy with them. However, I realize they were going through different agents.
Now my car has to go into the shop! GRRR.....stupid O2 sensors again. I'm just a little stressed about moving. One might think I don't really want to move and I'm beginning to wonder myself. Oh well. I still am.

Leesa

Postby Leesa » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:11 pm

Here's something to consider.............apparently, United will keep my stuff on their truck once they are loaded until they are unloaded at the destination. North American will put the stuff in a warehouse to be picked up and loaded later. So, in this way, United sounds like a better deal. Oh...what to do? Of course this requires getting ahold of that guy to see if he can come out when I'm available.

:roll:

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:18 pm

With this additional bit of info, I am more certain that you should choose Fry-Wagner. I don't see why the rep has to come back (?). Just tell him the items that you want to add.

Leesa

Postby Leesa » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:34 pm

Diane wrote:With this additional bit of info, I am more certain that you should choose Fry-Wagner. I don't see why the rep has to come back (?). Just tell him the items that you want to add.

I just e-mailed him actually. We shall see. I do get the feeling that he doesn't care if he gets this job because it's the minimum, although, he told my mother it would cost more to use U-Haul. I dunno'. I told him I wanted the insurance too.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:15 pm

There are so many people moving these days that most days will find sales people doing 3 - 4 surveys.

Most companies have a policy not to call sales people while they are on a survey, but most of them have voice mail. Leave your concerns there, and the sales person will generally check and call between appointments.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Leesa

Postby Leesa » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:38 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:There are so many people moving these days that most days will find sales people doing 3 - 4 surveys.

Most companies have a policy not to call sales people while they are on a survey, but most of them have voice mail. Leave your concerns there, and the sales person will generally check and call between appointments.

Well, I left a voice message with a local person last Saturday and she never called back. I just e-mailed her earlier today. So we shall see. The plus with PMS is that it's the same people moving your stuff the whole time. Profesional Movers........I don't remember what the S stands for.)
So it is more risky that stuff might get lost of it is dropped off at a warehouse and then picked up later, correct?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:23 pm

Leesa, Professional Moving & Storage (MC #397078) with website www.pmsmoving.com looks OK but they say on the website that they move shipments "direct" if they are more than 5000 pounds - they don't make that promise for smaller shipments. Most likely (if they can move you at all in your time frame) they will have to hold the goods in a warehouse until they have enough shipments going your way to fill a truck.

BigLee and I can't predict what will happen on your individual move, but "chances are" you will have a better result with Fry-Wagner as long as it can assure you that you will have a direct move. Although your mother liked the North American sales rep, it's better not to decide these things solely on the basis of liking the rep. I'm sorry to say that moving the treasures of the Czars doesn't mean very much because nearly every moving company has moved some bigwig or other.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:04 pm

Diane is correct about the bigwigs being moved... Every van line will lay claim to some sort of advertising ... We used to move NFL and Major League baseball players.

We've moved movie stars, and entire estates.... But so has all moving companies at some point. The fact is that no company in its' right mind is going to put forth a second rate crew to move the Czar or Donald Trump..

And sales people are no different than you and I. Depending on the time and day of the week the sales person your mom saw could have had a day where no one booked. And some just have dry personalities, but are very good at what they do.

Fry-Wagner is large enough that they should have no problem offering a direct load shipment.

One other thing to consider is that when a company says they will have to take a shipment back to their warehouse for pickup, chances are if the pickup will be the next day (if a driver is a day behind) it will not come off the truck. What will happen is the truck will be backed up to a dock, or put in the warehouse, and the long haul driver will load truck to truck.

So instead of house to truck, then truck to warehouse, then warehouse to long haul van, you only have house to truck, and truck to truck.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Leesa

Postby Leesa » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:10 pm

Diane wrote:Leesa, Professional Moving & Storage (MC #397078) with website www.pmsmoving.com looks OK but they say on the website that they move shipments "direct" if they are more than 5000 pounds - they don't make that promise for smaller shipments. Most likely (if they can move you at all in your time frame) they will have to hold the goods in a warehouse until they have enough shipments going your way to fill a truck.

BigLee and I can't predict what will happen on your individual move, but "chances are" you will have a better result with Fry-Wagner as long as it can assure you that you will have a direct move. Although your mother liked the North American sales rep, it's better not to decide these things solely on the basis of liking the rep. I'm sorry to say that moving the treasures of the Czars doesn't mean very much because nearly every moving company has moved some bigwig or other.

Thanks for the info...the gal from PMS is coming over Wednesday evening so we shall see. One thing I do like about them is they say it's the same crew to load and unload but who knows if my smaller load will be the same. Guess I will find out in a couple of days.

Leesa

Postby Leesa » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:13 pm

Diane is correct about the bigwigs being moved... Every van line will lay claim to some sort of advertising ... We used to move NFL and Major League baseball players.

We've moved movie stars, and entire estates.... But so has all moving companies at some point. The fact is that no company in its' right mind is going to put forth a second rate crew to move the Czar or Donald Trump..

And sales people are no different than you and I. Depending on the time and day of the week the sales person your mom saw could have had a day where no one booked. And some just have dry personalities, but are very good at what they do.

Fry-Wagner is large enough that they should have no problem offering a direct load shipment.

One other thing to consider is that when a company says they will have to take a shipment back to their warehouse for pickup, chances are if the pickup will be the next day (if a driver is a day behind) it will not come off the truck. What will happen is the truck will be backed up to a dock, or put in the warehouse, and the long haul driver will load truck to truck.

So instead of house to truck, then truck to warehouse, then warehouse to long haul van, you only have house to truck, and truck to truck.[/quote
I also e-mailed the guy from Fry-Wagner because he had said to do so and I haven't heard back from him. I feel like because I'm not moving an entire house I'm being snubbed by that company. I will have to ask for more specifics about "warehousing" my stuff........It did cross my mind actually.......to ask about whether it would actually leave the truck...or the back of the truck. I don't know big rig terminology! :wink:

Leesa

Postby Leesa » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:44 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:Diane is correct about the bigwigs being moved... Every van line will lay claim to some sort of advertising ... We used to move NFL and Major League baseball players.

So instead of house to truck, then truck to warehouse, then warehouse to long haul van, you only have house to truck, and truck to truck.

YAY! I heard from Fry Wagner just now.........same driver and he will either bring a helper or get one in Orlando. So he's going to do another estimate and refigure it and the company just started giving out extra discounts........! I can't commit though until the other person comes out on Wednesday. Bummer. :(

Return to “Open Community”