Stevens Quote that seems high...Any Advice?

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Erin&Paul

Stevens Quote that seems high...Any Advice?

Postby Erin&Paul » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:38 pm

Hello there to all. I've been very appreciative of this sight, no doubt it's already saved me money! My husband and I are moving from Texas to New Zealand in December. We plan to go with bare minimum (we're newlyweds, 2 years out of college...aka, poor). After reading this site forwards and backwards, I contacted Stevens and Rainier for quotes. Rainier hasn't responded and it's been like 3 weeks. But I don't want to write them off just yet, since they're so recommended. Stevens contacted me right away and sent out a local agent. THe local guy estimated we had between 1600 - 2000 lbs. Stevens then didn't send me any word of what kind of quote this would translate into...I emailed them and they got back to me with a quote that was nearly $5000. I thought that seemed a little high for how little we're sending. Everything we're taking is 'box' stuff, like clothes, kitchen pots, and some books. We have virtually no furniture going. Should I just try to seek out other quotes? Does this seem high to anyone else? I feel like on the experience forums everyone with about our pound-age said they spent like $3000, not $5000. Is is inappropriate for me to try to barter with them a little?
Erin & Paul
Texas ---> New Zealand Dec 06

thethinman

Re: Stevens Quote that seems high...Any Advice?

Postby thethinman » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:56 pm

First off, where in Texas are you coming from, and where in New Zealand are you moving to? Different cities make a difference. Secondly, how many cubic feet were estimated? Were they sending this in lift vans or were they using a 20' container? All of this makes a difference in working up a quote. We love giving our opinion, but we need all of the details to really let you know.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:34 am

I would most definately get another quote from another company.
Southern Winds might be an option or Berger Allied or another name brand agent- United-Atlas-Norht American
intlmover

quote="Erin&Paul"]Hello there to all. I've been very appreciative of this sight, no doubt it's already saved me money! My husband and I are moving from Texas to New Zealand in December. We plan to go with bare minimum (we're newlyweds, 2 years out of college...aka, poor). After reading this site forwards and backwards, I contacted Stevens and Rainier for quotes. Rainier hasn't responded and it's been like 3 weeks. But I don't want to write them off just yet, since they're so recommended. Stevens contacted me right away and sent out a local agent. THe local guy estimated we had between 1600 - 2000 lbs. Stevens then didn't send me any word of what kind of quote this would translate into...I emailed them and they got back to me with a quote that was nearly $5000. I thought that seemed a little high for how little we're sending. Everything we're taking is 'box' stuff, like clothes, kitchen pots, and some books. We have virtually no furniture going. Should I just try to seek out other quotes? Does this seem high to anyone else? I feel like on the experience forums everyone with about our pound-age said they spent like $3000, not $5000. Is is inappropriate for me to try to barter with them a little?[/quote]

Erin&Paul

Postby Erin&Paul » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:15 am

The cubic feet they quoted was 275 to 300. The didn't say anything about whether it would be in a container. I know that we don't have any 'odd shaped' items or anything. I definately want to get some other quotes, I'm just so nervous about going with the wrong company. Can I talk Stevens down, or is that considered inappropriate?
Erin & Paul

Erin&Paul

Postby Erin&Paul » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:17 am

Oh, and we're going from Lubbock Texas, a mid-sized city south of Amarillo to Christchurch, New Zealand (which is the largest city on that island).
Erin & Paul

Jules P.

Postby Jules P. » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:59 am

I'd get more quotes if I were you. When we got quotes for our move from Sacramento, CA to Canberra, Australia, Stevens was the highest by a long shot. We got quotes from Rainier and Southern Winds.

Southern Winds was the least expensive but also had the best customer service from the sales office by a long shot. Rainier's local agent was very good, I have to say, and if we had gotten more responsive treatment from the sales office, I might have gone with them.

I don't think price alone is a reason to choose one company over the other, but for us the cheapest also offered the best customer service and we felt comfortable with the origin and destination agents.

In the end Southern Winds did a great job for us. I don't know if they do much to NZ but maybe you can give them a try?

- Jules

Erin&Paul

Postby Erin&Paul » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:05 am

Thanks everyone-- I'll check out Southern Winds. I still haven't gotten a response from Rainer...I'm a little disappointed about that. Hardatwork pointed out that it may just be higher since I'm smack dab in the middle of the US, therefore not close to the west coast-- but hey, that's part of why we're moving accross the world to somewhere more beautiful. I keep you all posted on our progress. I appreciate the help.
Erin & Paul

Return to “International Moves”