Local Northern Virginia Move ?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
farscape66

Local Northern Virginia Move ?

Postby farscape66 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:21 am

http://www.movemedc.com/

Anyone know about these folks? I found them on craigslist. They gave me a great price of $50 an hour , approx 4 hours.

2 bedroom apartment movinig 8 miles to another 2 bedroom apartment.

Is this too good to be true?

Other quotes were for 3 men, from 90 an hour to $125 an hour, varying from 3-4 hours to 9 hours.

MusicMom

Re: Local Northern Virginia Move ?

Postby MusicMom » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:28 pm

Even $90 per hour seems awfully low for the DC Metro area, so $50 is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off. I'm guessing more like $110-120 would be a good company's price. They probably have no insurance, a rental truck, and are using day laborers untrained for properly lifting and loading boxes for safe transport. If they do actually have all these things, there's no way they will stay in business with those costs and those prices. Not to say they won't do good work, but you don't want just anyone moving your entire household.

The phone number listed is an AT&T Wireless cell phone, and the website was created only on Feb 16 of this year.

Did the 9 hour quote give you less men than the others? Can I ask which companies you've spoken with?

Carlos

Postby Carlos » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:22 am

Yes, i have used them. They are very good--they have special tools like straps and lifts. They asked us how well protected we wanted our furniture and only spent extra time on the items that needed extra attention, like wrapping our big couch in shrink plastic because we wanted that. No scratched walls. Very good communication, before and during. I don't think we could get better movers at any price.

Booster

Postby Booster » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:05 pm

I would definately agree with MusicMom here - $50 sounds WAY too low, considering what other reputable places in the area seem to charge.

I just got quotes myself about a week ago for our move from Alexandria to Annandale, and firm prices ranged from $150-$185 per hour, depending on it being a weekend or not. I ended up reserving for 8/28 with JK Moving, who gave me a price of $165/hour with 4 hour minimum (1 hour travel included), 1 truck, 3 men.

The Allied agent (Ambassador) I spoke with was $175/hour (4 hour min. + 1 hour extra travel), All Star out of Fairfax was $150/hour with no min. execpt 1 hour of travel, and the United agent McCollister's would probably be about $120/hour (quoted $185, but that was time+1/2 due to originally wanting a weekend date, they had no availability the week after though).

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:40 pm

If Carlos was able to get a good move for $50 per hour, then there have to be corners being cut somehow. Workers not being paid, taxes not being paid, trucks not being kept up, lots of possibilities. A mover cannot exist in this city charging that little.

I also find it interesting that Carlos ended with the exact same sentence as MoveMeDC.com's letter of the week:
Carlos wrote:Yes, i have used them. They are very good--they have special tools like straps and lifts. They asked us how well protected we wanted our furniture and only spent extra time on the items that needed extra attention, like wrapping our big couch in shrink plastic because we wanted that. No scratched walls. Very good communication, before and during. I don't think we could get better movers at any price.

Letter of Reference wrote:Thanks for the excellent care you showed during yesterday's move. I've been around a lot of movers and I was really surprised to see how much you cared about taking care of the house and the furnishings. I will definitely recommend you to others. I don't think I could have gotten better service at any price. Thank you!
Michael Carr
Washington, DC

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:42 pm

Sept 08, 2006.. Count me as a satisfied customer.. I just used movemedc to relocate a business copier from Fairfax to Rockville and was impressed with how attentive to carefully disasemble, pack for transit and hand carry the expensive and fragile copier. They made extra effort to show up with only a couple hours notice and the price was very reasonable for better than expected service. Charge for 2 men and a truck was $138 for the first hour, $38 per hour/man additional (1/4 hour increments). I'll call on them again and recommend them to my friends. Put me down as another "I don't think I could have gotten better service at any price" :D

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:00 pm

OK, but moving a large and fragile copier does not equate to moving household goods. Even the prices you were charged were very different.

Very Satisfied Customer

Postby Very Satisfied Customer » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:55 pm

Movemedc is THE most amazing moving company. I, too, was skeptical because their price was so low. The night they arrived, I put my laptop computer, portable printer, and my pearl jewelry in my car because I expected to never see my belongings again. But Greg and his crew turned out to be not only very organized and careful movers, Greg is a tremendous person who is committed to social issues that are bigger than all of us.

In December 2002, it cost me $1,200 for 2 Guys and a Truck to move me six miles, from Sterling, Virginia, to Reston, Virginia. Movemedc charged me $624 to move 278 miles from Reston, Virginia, to the Raleigh, N.C., area. Unbelievable!

I was so worried about the move that I considered going with much more expensive movers. I asked them for references. Four out of the five references responded with accolades. I thought they were impressive but wondered if those references were fabricated and were actually his friends and relatives. But now I know they were not. You can add me to the long list of satisfied customers.

Movemedc is awesome! You will be amazed that you got your move done for such little money!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:05 pm

I just can't beleive this one at all. How do they stay in business charging half of what everyone else does?

Oh yeah! They don't pay for licenses and insurance!

PHX Mover

Postby PHX Mover » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:42 pm

That last good post reads just like an advertisement to me. I have never once seen a customer talk like this about a company on here. Maybe there employees/owner shouldn't make it so obvious. =)

Noone

Postby Noone » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:49 am

I think it might be an MO of many scam companies to perform extremely good service during winter months, and not for the good publicity the few happy customers will bring. The reason has to do with having good sales staff for the summer, when they make their money. That's not to say I would use a suspect mover in the winter, nor am I saying that the above two "recomendations" seem legitimate to me. Quite the opposite on both.
What I am saying is that every new company (less than 5 years) should be viewed with the highest level of scrutiny. Even if it has genuine reccomendations.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:56 pm

Genuine recommendation or not, MoveMeDC has no interstate license to take this person from VA to NC.

TheStanleysinva

Postby TheStanleysinva » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:12 pm

We used MoveMeDC with our move from Fairfax to Stafford because they were recommended by our realtor. Red flags should have gone up when we questioned the calculations of the total price on the contract. But we moved forward and used them anyways; we packed all the boxes, and broke down all the furniture (i.e. beds, dressers, tables ect.) Well the day of the move arrives and we are expecting 4 movers and 2 trucks to move a 2800sq ft home at 8:30 in the morning. 2 movers showed up with a 16' Budget rental truck at 9:30; then at 10:30 the other two show up with a 24' truck that leaked oil all over the driveway. Needless to say the total move took 10.5 hours and they did not move the whole house. My husband and I spent the next 5 days moving the remaining items. Once we received the final bill the Math was once again off and Greg refused read his own contract and go over the numbers in person. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY AT ANY COST, Price may be good, but you get what you pay for.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:00 am

And I bet you called your Realtor right up and get him/her the whatfor, right?

Return to “Open Community”