Georgia Pack and Load

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jbhdawg2002

Georgia Pack and Load

Postby jbhdawg2002 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:31 pm

I am trying to hire a moving company in Atlanta, GA. I've used Georgia Pack and Load before, but upon further investigation this time around I have discovered that they have a "red flag." According to movingscam.com, if a company has "NO" listed under Insurance Type: Cargo on their FMCSA report, you should run like hell. Can someone explain what this means and how it effects me?

Has anyone had a negative experience with Georgia Pack and Load in the past? I originally signed up with US-1 Van Lines, but now I see that they are black listed and have started researching again.

Please advise! Thanks!

MusicMom

Re: Georgia Pack and Load

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:56 pm

I thik there is soemthing wrong with the FMCSA's report when Pack& Load's license was transferred in 2002. They have BIPD insruance listed, and teh Cargo is under the Transferred. Perhaps you shoudl call P&L and ask them if they can provide you with an insurance certificate?

I don't see anything out of the ordinary after my usual glance. There are 5 BBB complaints, but only one from the last year, resolved.

jbhdawg2002

Postby jbhdawg2002 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:50 am

I moved on Saturday using GA Pack and Load and everything went very smoothly! Read was able to fax over their insurance certificate, although he was not able to explain why their FMCSA report was wrong.

A team of three movers arrived at my apartment at 9:05. They were courteous, efficient, and paid close attention to detail (i.e. scrathes that were already on the furniture). At our next stop, I gave one of the movers a CD to listen to - something to take our minds off the unbearable heat!

Our entire move - two apartments into one house - took five hours. We tipped each mover $20. I'm not sure if this is standard or not, but it seemed like the right thing to do. We really appreciated the fact that they were easy to work with and nothing came broken or damaged.

I would definitely recommend GA Pack and Load!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:16 am

Thank you for coming back to report on your move. Glad everything went well.

mypaperanchor

Postby mypaperanchor » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:06 pm

Hi-
I know this is sometime later, but I am talking with the people over at Georgia Pack and Load to do a move of a 1 bedroom apartment from Athens, GA to Chicago, IL. Does anyone else have any experience with them?
http://www.gapackandload.com/default.htm

Thanks in advance!!!

farrah7031

Re: **Georgia Pack and Load

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:26 pm

They appear to be on the up and up:
http://www.psc.state.ga.us/transportati ... rsdata.asp

They've been licensed with the FMCSA for interstate moves since 2001.
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

It only has 3 complaints at the BBB:
http://atlanta.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.a ... rm=9000301

I'm not sure that a company with 3 trucks is large enough to do an interstate move well, so I'd get at least 2 other in home estimates from other companies.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:37 pm

I am familier with movers in the Athens area. The best Van Line Agent in Athens is Lindsay Mayflower. The cheapest is probably the North American Agent. Your best option overall, would be to call McCollisters-United or Berger-Allied in Atlanta, as they are not very far from Athens, they both have locations in Chicago, and could probably give the best rates and service.

I couldn't think of a reason to use Georgia Pack and Load for a long distance move. That is not really their specialty, and they are not located in Athens.

whodat1b

Postby whodat1b » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:04 pm

BigMove - Do you know something about Georgia Pack and Load that is not common knowledge?

I couldn't think of a reason to use Georgia Pack and Load for a long distance move. That is not really their specialty, and they are not located in Athens.

Granted they are located in "A HOTBED FOR SCAMMERS" Norcross, but from what I hear they are cool.

farrah7031 - Does bring up a good point with the fact that they only have 3 trucks unless that has changed (the number of trucks).

Some questions the shipper needs to ask them.

Are you going to self haul?
Do you have some LONG DISTANT customers I can contact.

From Norcross to Athens is about 55 miles, which is not really a great distant. I know people that commute that distant everyday to work.
Do Unto Others, As You Would Have Others Do Unto You!

mypaperanchor

Postby mypaperanchor » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:12 pm

Hey! thanks for the replies...

So far I have contacted a few different movers. Georgia Pack and Load has been the nicest to talk to by far (actually seemed like real people, etc.) and all I can find on them is good things. However they are a bit too pricey I think for my needs. I'm sure this is mainly due to the gas involved in a long distance trip for them.

The thing I really liked about them is that they have a 20 foot straight truck which is what I need. In Chicago, I believe big semi type trucks aren't allowed where I live because of 9/11 restrictions. They also do all the work themselves. The moment they finish loading the truck, they drive directly there with my things and unload them.

So now I'm on to Lindsey Mayflower, many people have actually suggested them and I will also look into the other two you mentioned bigmove.

I really do appreciate this site. I've moved a lot using myself a rental truck and some friends, but never used a professional mover and it is a daunting task to find one.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:23 pm

whodat1b; I am interested in why think Georgia Pack and Load can offer the same service as McCollisters-United, Berger-Allied. I personally have no bias towards any of these companies. I would pick the van lines mentioned above for the following reason.

1. They have access to a large nationwide network of agents, and have the ability to handle the move from start to finish and repair damages.

2. They are much stronger financially, and have the ability to pay Owner Operators more, they probably have better trucks, they will be able to easily get a backhaul, and they will be able to fill up the rest of the truck.

3. Both of these companies have offices in Chicago as well as Atlanta.

How could Georgia Pack and Load be better than McCollisters or Berger to handle this move? I don't know anything about them which is not common knowledge. I have actually heard good things about their local service.
Last edited by bigmove on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:32 pm

mypaperanchor; I think calling those three companies would be your best choice. I'm thinking Berger and McCollisters will be the most price competitive, and they also have locations in Chicago. In Chicago they will have a warehouse with plenty of smaller trucks to make the final delivery.

whodat1b

Postby whodat1b » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:13 pm

whodat1b; I am interested in why think Georgia Pack and Load can offer the same service as McCollisters-United, Berger-Allied. I personally have no bias towards any of these companies. I would pick the van lines mentioned above for the following reason.

Just like you BigMove I have no bias towards any of the mentioned movers.

1. They have access to a large nationwide network of agents, and have the ability to handle the move from start to finish and repair damages.

Georgia Pack and Load will self haul, so that means the items will not be loaded at the house, then unloaded onto a 18 wheeler, then unloaded onto a smaller truck in chi town then unloaded at the house. Everyone knows what it is like in chi town driving a big rig. You need a special map just to get around the city in a big truck.

2. They are much stronger financially, and have the ability to pay Owner Operators more, they probably have better trucks, they will be able to easily get a backhaul, and they will be able to fill up the rest of the truck.

Financially I'm at a lost for words on both companies. As for the owner operators it could be pot luck you don't know what you will get "until they show up at your door". With GPL you will get one of their drivers and workers. Equipment wise I did see a few older internationals and a freightliner which could be a 05 or a 06 on their website. As far as the backhaul I am certain that they have taken that into consideration. It is not as hard as people think it is to get a backhaul.

3. Both of these companies have offices in Chicago as well as Atlanta.

As far as having offices/agents in both cities, that really doesn't come into play. The shipper wants their items picked up and move in one smooth tranaction. Looks to me like GPL is offering two or three day service.

mypaperanchor is that the case? What type of turn around are they offering?

BigMove I can't say for certain, but the same person that packs the truck will be the same person that drives the truck. This will give the shipper a chance to get a feeling for the movers.

How could Georgia Pack and Load be better than McCollisters or Berger to handle this move? I don't know anything about them which is not common knowledge. I have actually heard good things about their local service.
Last edited by whodat1b on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do Unto Others, As You Would Have Others Do Unto You!

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:17 pm

I would be surprised if Berger or Mccollisters would even go to Athens for a small shipment. You can't go to too much trouble or logistical shenanigans on shipments that are borderline profitable. Bigmove has it right, you should work with an agent of the van line that is in Athens, There are enough movers in Athens, there is no reason to go from Atlanta to Athens to bid on a small move. Sorry, but facts is facts.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:39 pm

WHODAT1B: I understand all that. I owned a small independent company and had some problems competing while driving a small truck across the country, handling claims in other parts of the country, and attracting and keeping real professional movers. I could always get a backhaul, but my prices would always be rock bottom on the backhaul. I was making money on the initial move, and covering expenses on the return load.

Georgia Pack and Load could be an exception, but from what I have witnessed, Van Line owner operators are much better than anything a small company can keep on the payroll. Van lines seem to have more shipments, and the drivers make a lot more money. In theory, whoever can offer the most money, will get the best workers.

I agree that loading the truck, driving directly to Chicago, and having the same crew handle the whole move is an advantage. I'm sure McCollisters and Berger would self haul, but the shipment might be transfered to a different truck in Chicago. At the same time, Van Lines can handle problems at both the origin and destination. What if the truck breaks down on the way? What if something is damaged? How does a company in Atlanta handle claims as well as a Van Line agent with an office in Chicago? Finally, this is probably a 2,000 pound move, and how can Georgia Pack and Load make money driving a 2,000 pound shipment all the way to Chicago in a 24 foot truck?

At one point I would have agreed with you, but not anymore. I'll die 20 years early because I tried to do long distance moves as an independent.
Last edited by bigmove on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:43 pm

Archie is right. I chose those two because they are the closest, and are probably closer to Athens than many parts of Atlanta. But a 2000 pound shipment, they might not be interested.

Return to “Open Community”