Moving from Alexandria, VA to Pittsburgh next month

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Erik

Moving from Alexandria, VA to Pittsburgh next month

Postby Erik » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:33 pm

Helllo, I just found this website and thank goodness I did. I just found out about a transfer next month and will need to move from DC to Pittsburgh. I have information for Beltway Movers, Craig Van Lines and World Movers. Beltway seems to be pretty highly recommend on this site and World seems to have had several incidents. Any other movers to look at or avoid?
Thanks

Diane

Re: Moving from Alexandria, VA to Pittsburgh next month

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:42 pm

Hi - click on the link below my signature, read the first post, and scroll down to "Virginia," "Maryland," and "District of Columbia" to see what has been said here about companies in your area. Beltway is good but probably not ideal for a move of your distance. Choose a company with several good reviews that has done interstate moves, not just local moves, and you should be OK.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:13 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll call Victory Van Corp and Von Paris tomorrow. Will I be able to get them to come for an in-home estimate even if I want to move within the next month?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:21 am

I don't know - they might be pretty booked up. You might have more luck with some of the smaller companies in MD. I would try Matthew Moving, Moyer & Sons, and (especially) Town & Country.

Also - does your employer have an account or special relationship with any moving company? You can often get better service if it does. Is your employer paying for the move?

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:21 am

My employer is paying for up to $3000, but has no relationship with any mover.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:47 am

I think Beltway could handle Pittburgh just fine.

sh1981

Postby sh1981 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:40 am

I used Beltway Movers for my recent move (which all took place within Montgomery County, MD) and I thought they were excellent -- professional, courteous, and fast.

They did say they did moves all along the East Coast, so Pittsburgh wouldn't be a problem. I would definitely give them a call.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:07 am

Thanks for the review. How big a place did they move for you, how many hours did it take, and what was the price, if you don't mind me asking?

Return to “Open Community”