Newtown PA to Cornelius, NC (Lake Norm/Charlotte)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Noah

Newtown PA to Cornelius, NC (Lake Norm/Charlotte)

Postby Noah » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:35 am

Hi just looking for a little help here. Here is the situation.

8 Months ago I moved from NJ to PA using A. Professional Movers (BIG SCAM) ended up paying double - sued them and got $700 back. Good lesson learned. Now I'm getting ready to move again for a Job Relo to NC and I browsed around trying to find some good companies to get extimates from for a full service (pack, load, move, unload) GNTE move.

Here are the companies I selected to get quotes from, all offer a GNTE quote.
1. University Van Lines (ATLAS - NJ)
2. O'Briens-Glose Moving & Storage (ALLIED - PA)
3. Ware's Van & Storage Co. Inc (United - PA)

Should I be safe with any of these three? How should I evaluate their offers? I live in a 2100 Sqr Ft Townhome 3Bdr (8 Rooms Total)

consumer advocate

Re: Newtown PA to Cornelius, NC (Lake Norm/Charlotte)

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:56 am

Go to this thread and read the first post by Diane:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=30

Then scroll down to find a listing of reviewed movers in Pennsylvania. We don't recommend movers here but this is a list of movers in your area that have gotten both favorable and unfavorable comments. O'Brien's and Ware's have both been favorably reviewed by moving company employees who volunteer on this site so you should be okay with either one of those. University in New Jersey has also been favorably reviewed but I'm not sure if you want to use a mover in New Jersey since you're in Pennsylvania.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:04 am

I agree with CA - I think University is too far from you. The other two sound good to get a quote from. Also, try to find a company that will self-haul the shipment using its own truck and driver. I think Bayshore Transportation (Allied) might do that.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Noah

Postby Noah » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:08 am

Diane,

Yea I tried to get Bayshore as well but they said I was too far away. I check with University and they will come and do a quote for me - so I figured it dosn't hurt to get the info.

Where I am in PA is right on the NJ/PA line - I'm the first exit off I-95 after you leave NJ - literally directly across the Delaware river from NJ. Do you know of any other independants that would self-haul the shipment? I just didn't see alot of them in the Philly area that I would trust is the problem.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:11 am

I just checked into companies in your area that often self-haul and I think Bohrens (United) in Robbinsville and McCollister's (United) in Burlington might be other ones to consider. They are not independents but they have large hauling fleets.

Noah

Postby Noah » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:53 pm

Thanks Diane - I will make sure to update as the process goes along.

Noah

Postby Noah » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:10 am

Okay I've recieved 4 out of 5 qoutes and here is how it breaks down:

1. University Van Lines (Atlas)
-Weight - 11,000 lbs
-Binding Charges $6165.52
-Non-Binding Charges (Storage 30 days) $4432
-Total - $10,597.71

2. Bohren's (United)
- Weight 12,300 lbs
- Binding Charges $7646.78
- Non-Binding Charges (Storage 30 days) $5022.70
- Total - $12669.48

3. McCollister's (United)
-Weight 9,900 lbs
- Binding Charges $7752.82
- Non Binding (Storage 30 Days) $6407
- Total - $12710.08

4. O'briens Moving & Storage
- Weight 9,947 lbs
- Binding Charges $5416.52
- Non Binding (Storage 30 days) ??? 360/month $1500 move in/out
Promised to get back to us on storage.

So how would you all interpret this?[/b]

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:17 am

Hi - is your employer paying for this move? It is sobering to realize that the 30 days' storage will cost almost as much as the move itself, but I guess if your employer is paying you may not care.

If cost is a concern, O'Brien's (Allied) seems like the best choice. Just make sure they are actually going to haul your goods to NC themselves.

Noah

Postby Noah » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:03 pm

My employer is giving me a substantial signing bonus that is suposed to offset the cost of moving, and it more than covers all of the estimates. O'briens said that their driver would take us from PA to NC, and would also be the driver that moved our stuff from storage to our new residence in NC.

The funny thing is that all of them claimed to self-haul, the only one we didn't get a clear answer from on that is Ware's. We are trying to determine the deductible for the insurance level. Considering they are all reputible, I would think it would be an extremely remote chance that all our belongings would be destroyed....the question now is should we go 100% coverage or deductibles.

Thanks for all the help we are either going to go with University or O'Briens.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:09 pm

Where are University and O'Brien's going to store your stuff? It seems as if both companies have good reputations.

Also, are you talking about the O'Brien's in Allentown and if so, isn't that pretty far from you? I am confused because in some places the company is listed as O'Brien's-Glose and in others just as O'Brien's. It has a branch in NJ, right? The BBB also says that it has a branch in Illinois.

Industry pros here have generally advised people to buy a zero deductible policy if their things are nice, especially if storage is involved.

Noah

Postby Noah » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:50 am

Diane,

They both gave me the option of storage in either NJ/PA or Charlotte. Obviously once we purchase a place there the turnaround time from Charlotte is substantially less. O'Briens is much cheaper per month for storage as well $360/mo.

I can't remember where O'Briens is I will check on the business card when I get home.

Oh yea Wares came in witha quote of 13K+ so they are out too

Noah

Postby Noah » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:51 am

Allentown is 1.5 hours from us.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:03 pm

OK - I was just wondering whether the O'Brien's you are considering is also called O'Brien's-Glose and whether it has a branch in NJ. If you talk with them again, could you ask? I just want to be sure my listing is correct. It sounds to me as if either O'Brien's or University would be OK.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Noah

Postby Noah » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:57 am

Follow up: We just had O'briens move us out of our home in PA and we were a little dissappointed - Overall they have done a descent job - and the pricing is fair.

In their defense they rectified the situation below quickly, but we expected a more professional approach for the amount of money we are giving them. I would still use them again (in fact I will when they move our stuff out of their storage and into our new home). I think we just had one bad crew memeber.

Cory one of the crew has been "hitting" on my wife by making comments on her underwear (specifically a pair of leopard patterned panties) for an example he asked her "does you husband like rough sex", "you have an amazing body", "your husband is a lucky man", "your beautiful", "I bet your a freak in bed", etc.. Obviously with the amount of money we are paying O'briens we do not expect this type of treatment.

They insisted on having my wife pack items that were not packed yesterday by the packing crew.

They also took money left on the floor in our laundry area, and while the amount is not point, the manner in which they conducted themselves is.

They have left multiple pieces of the refrigerator and other appliances, such as the water valve behind which my wife has had to instruct to collect and pack.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:43 pm

Noah,

All that is completely unacceptable. Please post the specific name and address of this company if it is not the O'Brien's-Glose in Allentown.

Now I wish I had advised you to use University for the few hundred dollars extra, but I thought this Allied agent was well regarded.

Return to “Open Community”