Do Not Use Allied & It's Affliate Beverly Hills Transfer

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies

Do Not Use Allied & It's Affliate Beverly Hills Transfer

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:36 pm

I recently booked a move in early June with Beverly Hills Transfer And Storage an Allied company. All seemed to be on schedule, I confirmed dates, and submitted payment. Then the truck arrived with too many items on it and not enough room for my stuff. I was told another truck could come the next day. This was frustrating because I sat around all day waiting for this truck to arrive. Then the next day a truck came and took 8 hours to load my items and take them back to hold at Beverly Hills Transfer and Storage for what I thought was a short hold. As it turns out this is where the nightmare that I am living begins. The items were held until 8/3 after being picked up on 7/28. They were supposed to be delivered on 8/10. This seemed ridiculous. It would take a truck driver 7 days to do what it took me 2 days to drive with a hotel stay. So, Allied after a long discussion on calls to my salesman and Allied Corporate (whose customer service number is not answered by the way goes to a voicemail stating available hours where no one picks up during the hours provided and it takes 24 hours to get a response from a voicemail). Now, I am getting after holding for 30 minutes a check for $125 due to the additional delays. So, I check back the next day and find that the shipment is still scheduled for the 10th. Now two days later two days from the new date I am left with another 2 day delay. This is the most ridiculous and frustrating experience of my life. I recommend that Allied and Beverly Hills Transfer and Storage be blacklisted on this site. They don't assist the Agents at Customer Service when you locate the right way to trick the system and get through are nice, but they can't help you. Don't use Allied and don't use Beverly Hills Transfer and Storage or you will be like me sitting in an empty house with new dates each week regarding when your stuff will arrive.

Oh, and by the way after talking to the Agent at Corporate I found out that they are sending the truck up the coast from Southern California to Eastern Washington and then back to Western Washington, this is so unlogical. And, they won't move my shipment around to the first Washington delivery because they don't want to delay other customers. How nice of them.

Upset mover without her items.

Diane

Re: Do Not Use Allied & It's Affliate Beverly Hills Tran

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:05 pm

I totally sympathize with your situation. Unfortunately you just happened to be a victim of an overflow situation. It happens during the summer and not just to Allied. Without knowing all the details, it's hard to say how much the van line should be blamed. All it takes is one or two customers loading more stuff than they said they had, and people down the road like you are severely inconvenienced. I don't think the agent (Beverly Hills Transfer) should be blamed for this, though. They trusted the van line to schedule the trucks properly and it didn't happen.

If people don't want this to happen to them, one way to prevent it is to go with the freight company Broadway Express. As a small company with only 80 trucks, BE is nimble enough to foresee problems like this and prevent them. Their drivers know in advance how many feet are planned for each customer and they will protect those feet even if a customer with an earlier pickup has to leave some things behind. Then they will (if asked) send a second truck ASAP to pick up the first customer's overage.

This is not to minimize your suffering, but only to put it in perspective. I agree that the delay claim amount typically offered by the van lines is pitifully small compared to the massive inconvenience. Keep us posted.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:15 pm

The reason that I blame Beverly Hills Transfer and Storage is that there initial driver did not want to take the stuff and he and his dispatcher convinced me they couldn't because they didn't want to do the work and then the driver and his team blamed the Sales Agents and the Sales Agent blamed the drivers. It is so ridiculous. Plus, they told me that the items would leave next day and not until the driver arrived the next day did they mention that the shipment would not leave until the 3rd and then on the 3rd the truck sat loaded in Southern California for 4 days before going on to the next pick up which took 2 days to load.

I think the intresting fact is that people should be aware that there Salesmen are agreeing to one thing typically at a lower amount then the driver is being told.

At one point talking to a Corporate Agent I was told I couldn 't file a delay claim because my shipment was only 1,000 lbs until he actually conferenced in the Beverly Hills office and found out it was 3500 lbs. The lesson here is that Allied does not keep an accurate paper trail and there systems as one Agent admitted are difficult to follow. It is hard for Agents to understand where drivers are and where they are going next without talking to the actual driver.

I understand that this happens but in some cases you can't load items up and down two flights of stairs for a major move. What is unfair is that the moving company treats you as if its your problem for choosing their service.

As just think that the moving company should do more to assist the customer and possible offer a discount.

While atleast I know that I don't have to tip this driver or feed his crew like I did the guys that loaded my stuff. A tip is for service above and beyond not lacking the service necessary to accomadate or atleast meet a consumers expectations.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:05 pm

Anonymous wrote:The reason that I blame Beverly Hills Transfer and Storage is that there initial driver did not want to take the stuff and he and his dispatcher convinced me they couldn't because they didn't want to do the work and then the driver and his team blamed the Sales Agents and the Sales Agent blamed the drivers. . . . I think the intresting fact is that people should be aware that there Salesmen are agreeing to one thing typically at a lower amount then the driver is being told.

Whoa - I may not have understood the situation correctly. Are you saying that the driver and the sales agent were arguing with each other because you had more weight/more stuff than was listed on the Binding estimate, and that's why your stuff didn't go on the first truck?

Maybe you should sign up for membership here so I can correspond with you privately to find out what really happened. But in general, I agree that communications could be a heck of a lot better when it comes to the major van lines.

BBATCO1

Postby BBATCO1 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:02 pm

Its not 8-10 yet? So its not late yet? So why don't you pay for exclusive use of the van if you think your stuff should be there in 2 days? 3500 pounds is not even 1/5 of a trailer load the spread leaves time to fill the truck so a profit can be maid. Life can be tough sometimes but I imagine you will get through it. You stated you did not get a discount? You are paying full tariff? If so i will flyout tomorrow to come get it myself.....

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:11 pm

Bob, we don't know all the facts on this one so I think it's better not to jump into it too much. I wish you would comment instead on Rick's question aimed at drivers and asking about their ratings:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9595

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:13 pm

I would only point out the reason the shipper can make it in two days is because you are not limited by the DOT as to how many hours a day and week you can drive and work. Drivers are.

I am surprised the weight was 3500 pounds and not 1000. That is a huge difference and to miss so much more is either a bad reflection on the estimator or the shipper added things. I mean your talking on average of 2 and a half more rooms of stuff (considering on average of 1000 pounds per room).

But your not being scammed and your goods held hostage for thousands of more dollars. This is the true scam, the true reason a company goes on a blacklist. The main reason this website was developed. Not because a shipment is going to be delivered late.

Best of luck and do keep us posted.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:54 pm

If people don't want this to happen to them, one way to prevent it is to go with the freight company Broadway Express. As a small company with only 80 trucks, BE is nimble enough to foresee problems like this and prevent them. Their drivers know in advance how many feet are planned for each customer and they will protect those feet even if a customer with an earlier pickup has to leave some things behind. Then they will (if asked) send a second truck ASAP to pick up the first customer's overage.

With BE, you get what you ask for. Reserve 10 feet you get 10 feet, if you need 13 too bad. Doesn't matter that your lease expires or the new owners move in in 6 hours. Doesn't matter that you have a flight in 4 hours. You get only what you ask for and don't expect flexability on their part. They will help you out when it suits them.

The van lines system deals with the situation as it happens and tries to adjust their plans to suit the shipper's needs.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:11 pm

Fred

Did you miss the whole point of the original poster's complaint on this thread?

The poster is complaining about how Allied did NOT pick up the shipment on the day it was scheduled for! Even though it was booked in early June for a pick up in late July.

The shipper had to wait another day for the shipment to be loaded. Good thing the poster did not have a “lease expiring, or the new owners wanting to move in in 6 hours, or have to catch a flight in 4 hours.”

"The van lines system deals with the situation as it happens and tries to adjust their plans to suit the shipper's needs"

Seems like the van lines did a great job in adjusting their plans to suit the poster don’t you think? Good thing they did not use BE and have them actually show on the date requested with the feet requested.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:15 am

Yes. I read the whole thread. Point is that we do not drive away. We load what has to be loaded and then we adjust our dispatch accordingly. We don't win all the time, but the statement made was misleading.

If there is an overflow, and the shipment has to be out, for any reason, it is done. If it can wait until the next morning it does.

mogambo

Re: Do Not Use Allied & It's Affliate Beverly Hills Transfer

Postby mogambo » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:01 pm

i have a contrary view:

we used beverly hills transfer for a move from los angeles to boulder 4 years ago. i wish i could use them again for our move to minnesota. our agent was barry eisen. he gave us the best estimate (we got a "not to exceed") and his estimate was right on the money. he also gave us all the boxes we needed for free, even though we were packing ourselves. it was a pleasure dealing with him.

there was drama on the day of departure, when the truck didn't show up for a while. i was pissed off for a few hours when i couldn't get an answer but then it transpired that our original driver had thrown his back out at another load that morning and they'd been looking for a replacement. eventually, they showed up, and they weren't lying--the guy was laid up in the cab, in obvious pain. but the replacement was great. he and his crew got us out pretty quick, and very professionally. he was very personable (i don't remember the name, unfortunately). we told him what our preferred window of arrival was, gave him a cell number, got his from him, spoke to him a couple of times on our drive, and then they arrived on the first possible day--perfect timing for us, since we'd have had to sleep on the floor in the new house if they hadn't.

the odd thing was that while he'd had 3 helpers in l.a, he only had the one guy in boulder, but the two of them got everything out fast. one small, cheap mirror was broken but he offered to pay for it on the spot. a great experience. i hope our upcoming move to minnesota will be as good.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:18 am

Thanks, mogambo, for your review, which I added to the Superlist linked to below my name. (I believe that Barry left the company in 2006.)
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

r.tennison

Postby r.tennison » Mon May 19, 2008 4:55 pm

I am an Allied driver and have to say that your experience with Beverly Hills is abnormal at best. Movers usually are flexible in Allieds system. The fact there was a discrepancy in what Allie dsaw your weight as and what it actually was goes back to Beverly Hills, not Allied. If the agent did not update the system correctly or on time, they will never know whats there or whats being moved. Although I prefer not to use Beverly Hills myself, i have picked up their loads several times and they were never delayed, nor were the estimates out of whack.

Return to “Report A Scam”