Moving from Chicago to Charlotte ASAP

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
lpendlet

Moving from Chicago to Charlotte ASAP

Postby lpendlet » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:28 am

I am relocating to Charlotte from Chicago and need to reserve a move as soon as possible because I have to move next week. I moved 18 months ago with Wheaton and had a bad experience but at least know that it cost $1600 last time (from VA) and I will be under 2500 lbs. I have reviewed the Illinois Commerce Commission, Illinois Mover's and Warehouseman's Association, and googled quite a few companies; all the complaints and bad reviews were frightening.
Because this is a such a short turnaround, I don't have a lot of time to research. Any suggestions for a long distance move out of Chicago would be greatly appreciated. I have quotes from Moishe's ($3000) and Mayflower ($2100) so far.
Thank you!!

farrah7031

Re: Moving from Chicago to Charlotte ASAP

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:29 am

Here's some reviews of Moishes on Diane's thread of reviews:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7589#57589

--Moishe's (independent).
This company is probably OK for a local move in and around Chicago but I think it is somewhat iffy for long-distance moves. Chicago-NY and Chicago-DC are two of its main routes. It is a partner of Northstar in CA, which in my opinion is also somewhat iffy for long-distance.
It gave someone a lowball quote for an interstate move here -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2760
There have also been service issues with Moishe's on interstate moves: delivery delays and the driver showing up without a helper. In one case the driver showed up alone in a Ryder truck with a "Moishe's" sign taped on - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6171 (interstate)
See also this report on a move by Northstar and Moishe's -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 8309#48309 (interstate)
And this report -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5840 (interstate)
People from the company have also come on the website anonymously to praise their own services, a bad sign. However, I do not consider Moishe's to be a scammer.

Which Agent of Mayflower did you get a quote from?

Prager (North American) has some high reviews, maybe you want to contact them

Have you checked out ABF or Broadway Express? You could hire local movers to load/unload for you and it might be under $2100 for everything.

GOOD LUCK and let us know what you find out!

lpendlet

Postby lpendlet » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:17 am

Thanks so much for the information!

Prager requires a 3000 lb minimum but I am waiting for a quote from them regardless.
I contacted Glen Ellyn as the Mayflower agent.

Any other recommendations??

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:06 pm

Contact a United, Atlas, North american and Allied agent. I would drop Mayflower and Moishes.

You could also consider doing it yourself with BE or ABF. Just keep in mind of a recent post though where BE did not explain to a shipper in a timely fashion that they could not get their truck into the apt complex and she would have to rent a truck and shuttle her goods 45 mins away to the big truck.

Chicago does have some loading constraints that can add a little more to the expenses.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:00 pm

lpendlet,

You could help us if you would describe your move from VA to Chicago with the Wheaton agent in more detail - tell us who the agent was and what went wrong. This would help us build up our database. Was that a company-paid move?

Regarding your present move, actually I think Glen Ellyn would probably be fine. It has a good reputation among industry people and its low quote indicates to me that it wants the move for some reason. I would rule out Moishe's since you have alternatives. Prager would be good. You might also want to consider Armstrong (United) since United is a strong van line and there is a branch of Armstrong in NC.

I would not try to use BE or ABF since (as Michael pointed out) it can be a hassle in Chicago and your quoted prices are so small that you wouldn't save much, if anything, using a freight company.

lpendlet

Postby lpendlet » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:27 pm

I relocated from Richmond VA to Chicago in spring 2005 with Wheaton (Commonwealth Movers in Richmond and Advantage Moving and Storage in Chicago) and had an unpleasant experience.
"Apparently" the truck broke down somewhere in Kentucky and there was "nowhere" to repair it. Wheaton then dropped off all the other shipments in the truck (in Kansas etc) and then brought mine last, over a week past the delivery window. Because I was a small move, there was no course of action for a discount of any sort. Overall the customer service was very disappointing but I was lucky that all of my goods arrived fairly unscathed, just unacceptably late.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:20 pm

Thanks - was Advantage the hauling agent or how did Advantage get into it?

lpendlet

Postby lpendlet » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:01 am

Advantage was the Destination Agent and they ultimately delivered the move.

Return to “Open Community”