Anything on Dimensions Moving?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ruskielover

Anything on Dimensions Moving?

Postby ruskielover » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:45 pm

Has anyone heard anything about them? I'm moving from the the San Jose area to Olympia in Washington state next month and need to find a mover soon. Their preliminary online quote seems reasonable and the rep has followed up with a call to set up an appointment to do an on-site. DOT# 1312730, MC# 508840. They are located on 4620 Fortran Dr in San Jose, CA according to their website. I'm not sure how to go about checking their record or to see if they have operated under a different name before, can someone help me with that please? (By the way, this site is great. Because of the info I've gathered here, I was able to eliminate 7 out of 10 movers that contacted me with quotes, etc. They were either black listed or had horrible reviews...)

MusicMom

Re: Anything on Dimensions Moving?

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:58 pm

They have one truck and two drivers, which is not good odds for being able to move anyone out of the state. Often such moves are farmed out to other movers, in whom you have been given no choice.

They were granted their license in Feb of 2005, revoked in Feb of 2006, and worked illegally until getting the license back in April.

Their address on FMCSA report shows 4620 FORTRAN DR Suite 207, but their website says Suite 105. Their Incorporation says Suite 207. Mail sent by the FMCSA was returned as Undeliverable (this is the first time I've seen YES in that column!)
Phone numbers
Office: (800) 306-4032
Direct: (408) 262-3242
Fax: (408) 262-3326

Thier incorporation showed "Washington" as the jurisdiction, so I checked WA state, and their was an expired record for a Dimension Moving there, too. Inactive as of last November.

8 of their 10 BBB complaints are from the last year. That's a lot for a one-truck company the just started.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:01 pm

I suggest dumping any quote you got from an online request, and instead go to this link and scroll through the movers in CA.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8038

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:09 pm

Look into Moovers, Inc., as they have very good reviews and that is a route they service:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ruskielover

Postby ruskielover » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:44 pm

Thanks for the info on Dimension. I was able to pull up their safety record and a BBB statistic on the 10 complaints they've listed in the past 36 months, but was not aware that most of them were from last year. I did call Moovers based on the reviews posted on this site, but they said they do not run a service from CA to WA. They referred me instead to Rossiter in Menlo Park which does not have great reviews so I'm a bit disappointed in that. I have estimators from Tri-Valley (Bekins) and Thomas Transfer coming in one after each other tomorrow. I've read they have good reputations, wish me luck.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:50 pm

Where did you see that Rossiter doesn't have good reviews? Just curious.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ruskielover

Postby ruskielover » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:12 am

A couple of posts from this site. I realize that's relatively few but I've things that my parents brought with us from overseas when we immigrated. After having started research on this industry I've quickly become extremely suspicious.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:45 am

OK - in fairness to Rossiter (United), I noted in my summary post linked to below that the one complaint about them by "skinny" was unconvincing because no details were given, and in another complaint it's hard to know whether the van line or Rossiter was at fault but most likely it was the van line (the driver had no unloading help for a Wyoming delivery).

Rossiter was one of six Northern California companies recommended to people by the California Moving & Storage Association in 2005. If Moovers (located in Northern CA) is also referring people to them, I think they must be pretty good.
Diane

ruskielover

Postby ruskielover » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:01 pm

Just wanted to check back in regarding my move. I did end up choosing Thomas Transfer (of Mountain View CA) and the loaders were pretty good. They were quick but careful loading and unloading, there was no damage to any of my furniture. The sales rep was very nice and accomodating. He did give me the wrong delivery date which caused a bit of angst but that quickly dissipated after Joe at their office clarified that and a couple of other details.

Oh, and also, I have to say I'm glad I read through tips and stuff at your site. Helped tremendously, especially with regard to getting an NTE/binding quote. I had most of my stuff already packed in uniform-sized boxes when the rep came in for the estimate, but he still under-calculated. I weighed in at a bit over 1000 pounds, but since I had the NTE, I was ok. Whew!

Overall, it was a relatively stress-free experience. I would use them again...

Diane

Re: *Anything on Dimensions Moving?

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:59 pm

Thanks so much for your review and I added it to my summary post on movers in northern CA.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:42 pm

Hey, I came across this thread while looking up another mover who is now using Dimension's old address.

Found that Dimension, in April 2007, was slapped with fines, including $20,000 for failing to relinquish the load after being paid. This is 2 days's worth of the $10,000 per day fine for Hostage Loads. So the fines are actually being assessed by the DOT.

Dimension is still operating, and actually joined the San Fransisco BBB after getting this fine. I'll be sending a link to the DOT report to the BBB, informing them of Dimensions' operations and resulting fines.

Return to “Open Community”