Blue Chip or Merit Moving in Los Angeles

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ginamonaghan

Blue Chip or Merit Moving in Los Angeles

Postby ginamonaghan » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:23 pm

For our Los Angeles to Philadelphia move I have narrowed it down to two companies:

Merit Moving Systems
Buena Park, CA 90621
and
Blue Chip Moving and Storage
Hawthorne, CA 90250

Merit's not to be exceeded estimate of 10,700 lb is coming in $429 cheaper with than Blue Chip's 10,976 lb not to be exceeded estimate.
Both estimators very friendly, professional and helpful.
Any thoughts or questions to ask?
Thank You!
Gina Monaghan

BigLeeCalif

Re: Blue Chip or Merit Moving in Los Angeles

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:34 pm

You've actually gotten estimates from siblings.

Blue Chip represents Mayflower.

Merit represents United.

Unigroup Inc. owns Mayflower and United.

The difference in pricing is probably based on discounts.

My suggestion is to get a couple estimates from other van lines, and see if the weight and charges vary a lot.

And I would say that Merit would be my personal choice over Blue Chip.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

ginamonaghan

Postby ginamonaghan » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:39 pm

Thank you,
I do understand that Mayflower and United are basically the same company.
I have had 5 visual estimates and Blue Chip and Merit are both very close in the mid-range. (10,500-11,000lbs) Merit is giving 65% discount while Blue chip is giving 64%.
Why do you choose Merit over Blue Chip?
Thank You so much!!
Gina

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:14 am

I'm re-posting a Private Message just received by a volunteer from "ginamonaghan" reporting on her move with Merit to PA:
ginamonaghan wrote:Well, this website was key along with recommendations from a friend in making our move from Los Angeles to Wayne PA successful.
We ended up going with Merit Moving Systems based in Buena Park, CA.
We dealt with Frank Buckley who was very personable, professional and available for all our concerns. On moving day a Mayflower truck showed up at promptly at 8:30am, Our driver Daniel Malnia and his assistant Fred Blear along with 3 other gentlemen worked hard loading the shuttle and unloading into the truck all day. They were all pleasant and professional and thankful for a pizza lunch that we provided along with cold drink throughout the day, until 7pm!
Daniel and Fred were in touch with us and showed up exactly as they said they would on the morning of move in day. They were the only two to unload which was a bit worrisome at first but their positive attitudes and pleasant disposition actually made it fun to work with them. They unloaded, and reassembled everything without complaint with VERY minimal damage (the corner of one computer desk was dented a bit).
Our move went without a hitch and it was a pleasure to work with these two men. I would definitely go with Merit Moving systems again and request to work with Daniel and Fred.
I hope this helps, a month ago I was at wits end trying to find a mover and pull this all together but with the support of this website my family and I are safe and comfortable in our new home across the country!
Thank You!!
Gina Monaghan

I'll add this very good report to my summary post linked to below - under "California (Southern)" because Merit is HQd in Orange County.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”