Mayfield Van Line Inc. vs. Sullivan (United)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
movingtomiami

Mayfield Van Line Inc. vs. Sullivan (United)

Postby movingtomiami » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:26 pm

I only saw one posting for this company and it didn't provide much info. I've got a good quote from them BUT they want me to put down 65% up front and this is a red flag for me. I've researched them on BBB and here and on all the websites that are recommended on the links page. Can anyone tell me anything (good or bad) about them? What is the standard for payment options? I'd rather pay in full at time of delivery but many companies I've called require a deposit.

Here is Mayflower's info:

Mayfield Van Line Inc.
4747 West Sierra Hwy
Acton, CA 93510
Phone: 1-877-668-4677
Email : mayfieldvanline@yahoo.com
US DOT: 1428750
ICC MC: 539988

BTW, I'm moving from San Diego to Miami and their quote was $4291.00 which includes full service packing.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Ashley

Diane

Re: Mayfield Van Line Inc.

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:39 pm

Ashley,

The company is unlicensed to move anybody (it has no cargo insurance). It doesn't even have a broker's license. This is its report on www.safersys.org:
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

You are correct to be suspicious of any company that asks for a large deposit far in advance of the move like that. You must be dealing with unsavory Internet companies.

Click on the link below my signature and scroll down to "California (Southern)" to see what has been said here about companies in your area. Choose two or three with multiple good reviews and comments and have them come to your home to give you an estimate. Legitimate companies will allow you to pay with a cashier's check on delivery or will charge your credit card on or shortly before loading day.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

movingtomiami

Postby movingtomiami » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:07 pm

Thanks Diane. Wow I thought I had checked them out...obviously not. Stupid question...but...how can they get away with not having cargo insurance and still get a "B" rating on the BBB web site? I've seen other companies on the blacklist that gave me lowball quotes and was happy to find that out ahead of time so as not to waste my time....but I didn't see Mayfield on there and I found very little about them on this web site as well as google or any other search engine.

Thanks for the invaluable information. I looked at the link for reputable movers and I've already contacted a few. I have talked to Sullivan and like them so at least I know I'm on the right track.

Thanks again for all your hard work and incredible research! :wink:

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:12 pm

movingtomiami wrote:how can they get away with not having cargo insurance and still get a "B" rating on the BBB web site?

Very, VERY good question. First of all, they're new and the complaints haven't really started yet. Second, the BBB doesn't seem to know what it's doing a lot of the time. (You shouldn't go with any company that has lower than an "A" rating with the BBB.)

Glad I could help. If cost is a concern, you can save quite a bit by using Broadway Express or ABF. Moovers, Inc. or Delancey St.-Los Angeles also might be a little cheaper than a van line agent. All of these companies have a lot of good reviews here. Sullivan is also good.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:16 am

Gee, how nice. The BBB says:

Licensing

Licensing Agency:
License Number:

This license permits the company to perform the following services:

As of July 31, 2006, we verified with the Federal Motor Carriers and Safety Administration that the company's license to provide interstate moving services, license number MC539988, is active. To ver...

I'm wondering just how they verified this, since the company has NEVER been active and licensed?

movingtomiami

Postby movingtomiami » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:24 am

musicmom
I too saw that on the bbb website. i am totally freaked out now b/c had I not found this website there is not telling who i would have ended up with and where my stuff would go!

i sent an email to mayfield telling them my concerns and also saying that i would not be putting down a deposit nor would i under any circumstances pay 65% up front and surprise surprise i got no reply.....and to think that they were my number one choice yesterday!!!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:34 am

Well, then we're glad you found us!

I just sent this email off to Mary Lou Diaz, the Director for Consumer Services at the LA BBB.
I have a correction for the BBB's report on Mayfield Van Lines. Here is that report:
http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Busin ... =100036547

At the bottom left of the report, under "LICENSE", the report says that "As of July 31, 2006, we verified with the Federal Motor Carriers and Safety Administration that the company's license to provide interstate moving services, license number MC539988, is active".

In fact, the license is not active, and never has been. Mayfield applied for the license last year, but because they have no Cargo insurance to cover damage to the loads they carry, the application was dismissed on December 20, 2005.

You can see for yourself, this is a link to the FMCSA report on Mayfield Van Lines.
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

I only ask that the BBB report for Mayfield Van Lines be changed to reflect this information. Customers are currently considering using this company for a CA to FL move based on this BBB report, which would be an illegal and dangerous move.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:36 am

I also do not see Mayfield Van Lines' name on the California Public Utilities license list, which means they can't move anyone within the state of CA, either. Their trucks are going to get pretty rusty!

movedtomiami

Postby movedtomiami » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:28 am

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you but we are just getting settled in. I wanted to let you know that our move with Sullivan out of San Diego to Miami went really well! The movers were all professional and quick and very careful. The driver contacted us multiple times during his lengthy drive from San Diego to Miami to stay in touch and keep us on track as to where he was. He told us he would arrive on a particular date and HE ACTUALLY DID ARRIVE ON THAT DATE WITHIN THE HOUR!!! How is that for service???? I would definitely recommend Sullivan United Movers out of San Deigo to anyone that asked. I was very happy with thier service and will use the driver we had from United on every move in our future.

Bottom line....price was very reasonable, service was great, the move was timely and hassle free, and the good arrived safe and in one piece. I have read a lot of horror stories on this site and want to make sure that there are some good stories out there as well. I am glad I did my research and found this web site b/c I would definitely not have found Sullivan if it wasn't for your web site. Feel free to contact me by PM if you have any questions or want additonal info.

Thanks again!

Ashley
Moved from San Diego to Miami, FL

MusicMom

Re: Mayfield Van Line Inc. vs. Sullivan (United)

Postby MusicMom » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:50 pm

Thank you very much for coming back to tell us how it went! It sounds nice that the driver was so in touch with you.

As a side note, this resurrected thread reminded me to check on the BBB report of Mayfield Van Lines. The report was never changed to reflect the NOT active license, but Mayfield DID finally receive their interstate license on Sept 20 of this year. They bought their missing Cargo insurance on Sept 13, two weeks after this discussion. Related? Maybe, maybe not. But they still do not have a Cal-T license.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:09 am

Here is Mayflower's info:

Mayfield Van Line Inc.
4747 West Sierra Hwy
Acton, CA 93510
Phone: 1-877-668-4677
Email : mayfieldvanline@yahoo.com
US DOT: 1428750
ICC MC: 539988

Was the here is Mayflower's info a typo? Mayfield Van Lines is not shown in my current agency roster, nor on the latest online agency roster.

A company has to have been in business for a while before being considered as a van line agent.

Anyway, you made a good choice with Sullivan. Even though they are United and we are Mayflower, we have a very good working relationship, and we cross service each other's orders when necessary.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:07 am

I'm guessing the "Mayflower" was a typo, meant to write "Mayfield". Honest mistake.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:23 pm

I agree.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

movedtomiami

Postby movedtomiami » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:13 pm

More information - my sales rep's name was Dave Young and my driver's name was Darin Olsen, Van #204-886.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:39 pm

Note when getting estimates.. Ask the sales person if the van line he/she represents has satellite tracking. A lot of van lines offer the opportunity for you to track your shipment online.

Return to “Open Community”