Professionals Inc; Chicago Movers; Affordable Moving Company

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
lily

Professionals Inc; Chicago Movers; Affordable Moving Company

Postby lily » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:59 pm

I am making a local move, for a 1 bedroom apartment, in Chicago. Has anyone tried Professionals, Inc? Also if you can comment on Chicago Movers (MC 108190) or Affordable Moving Company, located at 5000 West Bloomingdale, that would be helpful (I've searched the message boards here and don't see any comments already posted).

I was going to use Golan's but have seen some negative comments posted here, so I thought I'd look around a bit more. I have checked BBB and IIC and the above companies look okay there; just would like more confirmation from anyone who has used them.

Diane

Re: Professionals Inc; Chicago Movers; Affordable Moving Com

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:16 pm

You can check with Pat McLaughlin at the IMAWA to see whether she knows anything about those companies. I don't think they've ever been mentioned here.

lily

Postby lily » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:54 pm

I contacted Pat McLaughlin as you suggested and she replied already. She advised me to choose a mover with 3 or fewer complaints in a 3-yr period. She noted that the majority of movers in IL have zero complaints. She said movers who have more than 3 complaints (regardless of the number of moves they say they do in a year), have some issues that need to be addressed, since those written complaints most likely represent only a fraction of the unhappy customers.

She said if she were choosing a moving company, she would give first consideration to movers who show ZERO complaints on their record.

Of the movers I listed for her, she noted that these have zero complaints at the ILCC website:

1. Affordable Moving Co. – She said the company has been in business for many years and has consistently had a good record.

2. The Professionals, Inc. – She noted that this is a relatively new moving company (about 2 years old), but the owner has demonstrated good knowledge of the rules and regulations (which are written to protect the public and maintain a healthy industry) and has maintained a very good record.

She said "Chicago Movers, Inc. is not a member of our association, and I don’t know too much about them other than that they are a relatively new company – and they have 2 complaints."

As for Golan’s--she said "Golan's is a member of our association, and I’m not at all proud of the fact that they currently have 8 complaints."

So--I am going to try to book Affordable Moving Company, since a co-worker used them and liked them too; and if I can't get them on my moving date, I may try Professionals Inc.

I'll post back when my move is over.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:09 am

We are so lucky to have a person like Pat as a resource who isn't afraid to stick her neck out and be honest. I'll add those tips to my summary post on IL moving companies. Thanks so much for reporting on your research.

lily

Postby lily » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:45 pm

I just wanted to update my original posts with the results of my move. I tried to book Affordable Moving Company, but unfortunately they didn't have any availability on my moving date. So I went with Chicago Movers, and everything went well. I have a friend who has hired them for local moves 3 times over the last 7 years, as it turns out, and all the positive things they said about Chicago Movers were true for me as well.

I had them do some of our packing--they packed all our dishware as well as much of our clothes--and they were fast and nothing broke. They were polite and friendly, careful with our furniture (e.g., large glass tops to our two desks) and really seemed to know what they were doing. Price ended up to be what I was expecting based on their initial estimate.

One caveat: they didn't label any of the boxes they packed, and I didn't realize that was happening when they were packing. So you might need to label them yourself as they go . .. Otherwise you'll be running around the next morning opening boxes and wondering "Where did they put all the shoes?"

Overall, a good experience and I love my new place.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:57 pm

Thanks for this review and I added it to my Superlist of movers linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”