Astro/Allied and Malloy/Mayflower (NY to LA) opinions?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Virtual Scott

Astro/Allied and Malloy/Mayflower (NY to LA) opinions?

Postby Virtual Scott » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:38 am

Just curious, I'm doing the obligatory competitive "shopping" for a mover, and was curious if anyone has had any experience with either of the above mentioned movers? Received estimates from both recently, and will be talking with a third, Moovers, soon, to compare and compete. Wasn't sure if there were any reviews of the aforementioned? Thanks!

Scott

Diane

Re: Astro/Allied and Malloy/Mayflower (NY to LA) opinions?

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:01 pm

Click on the link below my signature and scroll down to "New York City" and "New York (Long Island)" to see a discussion of Astro and Molloy among others. (Neither would be on my personal short list.) If doing a search here, be sure to spell Molloy correctly or nothing will turn up. Moovers has its own review thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Glad to Help

Postby Glad to Help » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:59 pm

Both Molloy and Astro are high volume agents for their respective van lines. Quality wise I would rate them both average. Astro has several drivers that drive to the west coast. Molloy only has one driver that drives to the west coast(they concentrate on east coast moves), but a very very good driver, and would be a better choice only if you were assured in writing that they would self haul. Problem is it would be dependent on where their"only" west coast driver was located in relation to your moving dates. Astro has a larger west coast fleet,but a mixed bag in the quality department when it comes to drivers,but at least they have several and could self haul.

Molloy,Astro,Liberty United,Bekins Maffuci are the big haulers. With the exception of Molloy, all have several drivers that run to the west coast.

All are equally mediocare and will give you in most cases an acceptable service,but not an excellent one.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:03 pm

Very good information, Glad - it's not easy for me to get this kind of thing. Thank you.

Virtual Scott

Postby Virtual Scott » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:00 pm

Hmmm... any suggestions on these companies versus, say, Moovers, who may be slightly more expensive, but their reputation, at least here, is almost sterling?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:06 pm

Even though I know Moovers has performed very well for their customers, I personally would push for the major van line over the independant (sorry, Jason!) in this one situation.

Part of it is that you want an accurate estimate, which really should come from an in-home viewing. Also, if any problems arise on this long journey, it'll be better for you if the movers could call on a sister agent nearby to help out. You may also have to wait for a Moovers truck to come to NY to carry your goods on the backhaul trip.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Scott, although I usually agree with MM, in this case I don't. It's better to have a direct move with a company that's using its own truck and driver as long as the company is good, and Moovers is almost certainly the only company that will do that. As Glad said, Molloy has only one driver who goes all the way to the West Coast. IF Molloy would put in writing that your shipment will go with that particular driver, then yes, I would go with them. But otherwise I would go with Moovers if it were my move.

I think Moovers is unlikely to cost much if anything more than Astro or Molloy, and both of the latter have "caution" symbols in front of their names in my summary post for good reason. Please, consider what Glad said: "All are equally mediocare and will give you in most cases an acceptable service,but not an excellent one." If it were my money, I wouldn't give it to a mediocre moving company when I could give it to an excellent one like Moovers. But whatever you decide, please come back to post.

Virtual Scott

Postby Virtual Scott » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:39 pm

Damn, it's getting warm in here.

Just kidding.

I've actually learned much from this site, and it's balancing SOME of the angst I had regarding the moving process. Anyhow, thanks again to all of you, especially MM and Diane, for the continuous posts and assistance. Not sure WHAT I'm doing yet, but Moovers is definitely at the top of the list, and I mentioned this to Jason as well. More to come...

Now I need to denote a significant amount of time (and brain power) to number crunching and going through the plethora of moving info I've got as well.

I'm doing some serious consideration to all the suggestions posted here and advice is well taken.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:17 pm

No one mentioned that Mayflower and United are owned by the same corporation, so should you select a Mayflower or United agent, you also incrrease your hauling capability to include that of the other company.

If Malloy Bros. isn't quite up to snuff in your eyes, check the United agents in the area..

I'm kind of surprised that Malloy indicates only 1 west coast driver. During the summer months, each agent has to commit x number of drivers to the continental fleet, based on their hauling size.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Virtual Scott

Postby Virtual Scott » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:10 am

There are a few United agents but I haven't seen any reviewed on this site, so I was going to forego consideration, mainly for that reason. I notice the recommendations on this board are fairly spot on, but I will definitely consider it. It seems Moovers, even though they are based in Cali, are a prime choice.

Return to “Open Community”