Loading and Unloading help CA and AZ

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Cydneykr

Loading and Unloading help CA and AZ

Postby Cydneykr » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:56 am

After reading so much about moving I am surprised I haven't had a horrific experience yet. But now I am moving with my husband to California from Arizona and we are looking for moving help only as we have decided to rent a truck and move ourselves. I am looking at AZ Best On-time movers in Tempe, Arizona and Artists Movers in Sherman Oaks, California. any information on these companies or just basic what to look for when using a loading and unloading Service would be helpful.

Thanks

BigLeeCalif

Re: Loading and Unloading help CA and AZ

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:17 pm

Can you be a little more specific about the total names, and MC or DOT numbers if available.

I found only a starving artists movers......

If all you are looking for is moving labor, go to this link....

They have offices in both Calif and Arizona, so you should be ok.

http://www.laborready.com/default.aspx

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:34 pm

Artists Movers is not licensed:

http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/tmis/

Cydneykr

Postby Cydneykr » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:47 pm

These were companies I found on emove.com. So I only have what I posted earlier. I've read good and bad about emove, labor ready, everyone has their two cents I guess. After doing all this"research" I'm freaking out. I have always done full service moves and have never had a problem. But now I am out west (from NY) with no referals or companies I know and have used and am finding it really difficult to make a descision.

We are driving ourselves because we do not have the cash to do a full service move. We just need loading and unloading help.

Cydneykr

Postby Cydneykr » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:17 pm

Thanks for the info on Artists Movers. My research has found that many companies who only supply labor are not licensed as there is not license to get for moving boxes by hand.

Has anyone heard anything about Topline Movers in Arizona ph 602-280-9579.www.toplinemovers.com They are listed in BBB.org with only one complaint that was resolved in 3 years.

Also anyone know about ABC Movers
(714) 333-7646 or (714) 593-0460
Huntington Beach, CA

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:20 pm

When are you moving? Diane has a list of full service movers in the LA area if you are still open to that option.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:35 pm

I saw ABC Movers load a Broadway Express truck in my area about a week ago and I thought they were excellent. They are not licensed either but they really knew what they were doing. The owner (Jon Gilbaugh) was there with an assistant and they charged about $50/hour for the two of them.

In Phoenix, someone recommended Camelback Moving. See Broadway Express review #197. I was unable to confirm whether they are licensed, although they claim to be on their website. As you say, if a company is just loading and unloading they don't need to have a DOT license.
Last edited by Diane on Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Cydneykr

Postby Cydneykr » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:39 pm

We ended up renting a truck from Budget, using Topline Movers out of Pheonix, AZ for the load and Delancy Street Movers out of LA for the unload.

Budget Truck rental:
We rented the truck from Budget in the morning. a 16 foot truck which we were told by Topline Movers would be big enough for our two bedroom condo.
We ordered 90 blankets and got 48 upon arrival. Not what we needed at all. They said if we came back later they'd be able to get more from another store in Sun City, we were in Scottsdale (a ways away) I don't understand why they couldn't have done this the night before so we weren't inconvenienced. (it worked out in the end).

On the return of the truck in LA. The manager was not available to do our paperwork (weird I thought) We had to call them to send us a reciept in the mail.

AZ Movers:
The AZ movers got lost but still arrived on time. Upon looking at our stuff they told us the truck would be too small. Franticly we called Budget and thankfully they had a 23 foot truck. I still would have liked for the movers to have told us we would need a bigger truck at the get go, so we wouldn't have wasted time. When my husband looked at it he immediately wanted to know how much it would cost for someone else to drive. It really is a very big truck. And very intimidating.

Anyway despite having to get a different truck, (which was pretty easy and we were able to pick up more blankets) They movers did a decent job packing and securing our goods leaving only about 4 feet of space not completely packed to the ceiling. The load came in around the same as the quoted time. We had three guys and that was actually plenty for us. All very nice and professional. However the head mover didn't speak very good english, but the others did, so communication wasn't bad.

They didn't wrap everything as good as they could as some furniture had scratches and my husband's desk drawer popped out because they stacked boxes on it, (Still easily fixed). Only one box was damaged, but not it's contents and dishes in another box broke, (I think it was our friend who packed that box's fault though), one piece of furniture was broken beyond repair. And another was damaged a bit.

LA movers:
Delancy movers were great. Three men. They arrived 15 minutes early, so they waited for us as we had spent the night in a hotel nearby. They were like a well oiled machine. They moved furniture and repositioned furniture without any complaints and even put furniture together for us. They came in under the quoted time so I just donated the difference. really great guys who really wanted to change their lives.

Overall:
I don't think I would ever do a move like this again. Stressful and tiresome and too many headaches. I'd rather use a company to do a full service move. Pay for insurance on my belongings and have the movers pack the kitchen in the very least. No need to worry about whether you have enough blankets or whenther the truck will be damaged and you'll have to pay for it. I like that movers are responsible for eveything especially the goods when in transit. And honestly the savings was not worth it at all.

I found out that Delancy would have been able to do a full service move with their Santa Fe location, I wish I had done that. I even would use Topline for the whole move if they were licensed to do interstate travel and offered additional insurance on the move( all questions I didn't ask). They took Amex which was great, because AMEX is really a great CC company. They are totally on your side should you need to dispute a charge for any reason. Depsite the fact that they don't take credit cards I would use Delancy again. They were wonderful. If I am ever to move again I will use delancy for the whole thing.

Ratings
Budget: Very Good
Topline Movers: Good
Delancy: Excellent

Hope this helps someone else.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:05 am

It will certainly help other people. Thanks for taking the time to write all this and I'll add your comments to my summary post linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:17 pm

Diane, since you are pretty knowledgeable with the management of Delancy St., do you have an agency listing of all their locations?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:08 pm

The thread with all the Delancey reviews lists the five Delancey locations - San Francisco, Los Angeles, the Santa Fe area, Greensboro in North Carolina, and the NYC area - with contact phone numbers:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377
I didn't follow up on this comment because I actually wasn't too sure that the Santa Fe, NM, location could have done a household survey for a move originating in Phoenix. The poster might have misunderstood, in other words.

Return to “Open Community”