Local Atlanta Move / Questions / Mark the Mover

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jendoe

Local Atlanta Move / Questions / Mark the Mover

Postby jendoe » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:26 pm

Hi guys,

This is my first post. Thank you for all the great information here, I've been buried for the last few days sorting through it all and absorbing what I can!

I'm trying to find a mover for a local Atlanta move (moving a 1-bedroom apartment from one building to another within the same apartment complex).

I called Mark the Mover, based on the great reviews they got here (for example:

(Lots of links summarized here:)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... mark+mover

My call raised a few questions, I was hoping you might have some input/advice on...

1. The man who answered the phone was a little... gruff, or something. I didn't get a good feeling. Has anyone else who called had a similar experience? It just surprised me, and honestly turned me off a bit, considering how positive their reviews had been.

2. Rate quoted was $138/h for 3 men, 2 hour minimum. This seemed a little higher than other posts. Should I chalk it up to inflation? The extra stairs? The fact that it's going to be a very short move (given it's within an apartment complex)? Any thoughts?

3. They didn't ask at all about what day of the week I was thinking of moving... I thought that you could get cheaper rates during the week (versus weekend), and had planned to move on a thursday to take advantage of that. I'm sure it varies from place to place, but does that usually come into play at all, and if so - how/when?

4. I'm currently looking at moving at the end of this month (september, 2006) - originally I was planning for end of October, but there were some recent changes (which will happily allow me to escape my very noisy neighbor!) but I'm completely freaking out over getting someone in such a short time frame... how much time do you usually need to reserve a mover? I thought I saw 30-days as the recommended minimum?

5. Is there any way at all for me to make a decent guess at how many hours they might need for the move? I've moved previously, with another mover (one of the "Peach" movers - can't remember exactly which one, it was years ago, seemed even more expensive, had a 3-hour minimum if I remember right, and wasn't as careful with my stuff as I would have liked - but was VERY fast, with 4-5 men, came in well under the minimum time.)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can pass along. It's much appreciated.

Thanks!

Diane

Re: Local Atlanta Move / Questions / Mark the Mover

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:24 pm

Hi - it's disappointing that Mark the Mover has a gruff person answering the phone. Unfortunately I don't know Atlanta and I don't know any other moving company to recommend to you. There is a person posting here as "Doug" who may possibly have some ideas. You could send him a Private Message to ask his opinion.

The rate you were quoted does seem a little high for three workers - I would have expected more like $120/hour. I'm not sure whether that rate included a truck, though, or whether they would even need to USE a truck since you're moving within the same apartment complex.

I don't know about price changes depending on the day of the week. I would only encourage you not to move on the last Friday-Saturday in September if possible - too hectic and you may not get as good a crew as if you moved on another, less popular, day. In my opinion, at this time of year you wouldn't need to reserve a local mover more than a week or so in advance unless you're moving on the last day(s) of the month.

Based on moves I have seen, if they send three workers I think you're looking at around 3 hours for your move.

If you haven't looked at my summary post linked to below, you might want to look at the listings under "Georgia."
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:01 am

Diane wrote:The rate you were quoted does seem a little high for three workers - I would have expected more like $120/hour. I'm not sure whether that rate included a truck, though, or whether they would even need to USE a truck since you're moving within the same apartment complex.

In Tampa, 3 men and truck for our company will run you $130/hour. I don't think $138 is out of line for the market area. Regarding needing the truck - they may not need it to perform the move, but in our case - the crew has to have transportation to the complex and back - therefore they are sent in a truck and the customer pays the man and truck rate.

Diane wrote:I don't know about price changes depending on the day of the week. I would only encourage you not to move on the last Friday-Saturday in September if possible - too hectic and you may not get as good a crew as if you moved on another, less popular, day.

Typically a consumer would save some on the hourly rate if they moved during the week, being Mon-Fri. Saturday in our facility is at overtime rates. When our office quotes an hourly rate over the phone prior to scheduling an in home estimate, they quote the regular rate to the customer. I would be guessing about this, but I would think the $138 hour is the regular rate.

Diane wrote: In my opinion, at this time of year you wouldn't need to reserve a local mover more than a week or so in advance unless you're moving on the last day(s) of the month.

Diane is correct. Local moves do not require as much coordination and planning. Most companies can work you in easily during this time of year. To conflict with what I said earlier about overtime rates, some companies will also waive overtime on Saturdays as we get further into the winter months also.

Diane wrote:Based on moves I have seen, if they send three workers I think you're looking at around 3 hours for your move.

Without knowing what you have in your apartment, what floor you are on and going to it is too difficult for me to guess how many hours it will take to perform your move. If it is a stadard apartment with items boxed and ready to go and not on the 3rd floor to the 3rd floor with lots of big overstuffed pieces then, yes you should be complete in less than 4 hours. Most companies have a 3 or 4 hour minimum that will apply.

jendoe

Postby jendoe » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

Nice collection of links Diane, thanks for posting it! And, I'll look for "Doug". Everything else I've looked up so far seems to point to Mark the Mover as a fabulous local mover... I just wish I had gotten someone a little more helpful/friendly in the office :oops:

Thanks for info PMueller, definitely helpful to hear. And yes - it IS in fact going from the 3rd floor TO another 3rd floor apartment (which I told them) - so I didn't know if they had increased the rate at all for that...

I am looking at Sept. 28 (the last thursday of the month) - but now you've got me thinking, maybe I should talk to my apartment and push it back one more day to Wednesday. I don't know if there's a huge difference between Thur and Friday as far as moves? I'd prefer Thursday, I want the guys dropping off the rented washer/dryer to do that on wednesday before a pile of boxes makes it more difficult to get in!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:52 pm

well we don't recommend movers, but there is an old movingscam contact in the atlanta area..

Some of the volunteers may remember our friend Archie White from AC White Movers in Atlanta.

Call Archie at (800) 288-1881 and tell him biglee from movingscam.com recommended that you contact him for an estimate....

His company is agent for United and Mayflower, but has his own authority within Georgia.

They can probably quote what their hourly rates are, so you have a comparison on your other mover.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:38 pm

jendoe wrote:Thanks for info PMueller, definitely helpful to hear. And yes - it IS in fact going from the 3rd floor TO another 3rd floor apartment (which I told them) - so I didn't know if they had increased the rate at all for that...

It would not increase your rate, but they may be using 3 men instead of 2 because of this. This would also increase the total number of hours required to complete your move. With a good crew of 3 though, this should still be kept to a minimum.

jendoe wrote:I am looking at Sept. 28 (the last thursday of the month) - but now you've got me thinking, maybe I should talk to my apartment and push it back one more day to Wednesday. I don't know if there's a huge difference between Thur and Friday as far as moves? I'd prefer Thursday, I want the guys dropping off the rented washer/dryer to do that on wednesday before a pile of boxes makes it more difficult to get in!

You should be fine with a Thursday move. But do get scheduled with your mover as soon as possible as this is approaching the end of the month.

As BigLee mentions AC White an agent for United/Mayflower, this is certainly a company that has been around your area a long time and is reputable in the industry. Their rates are probably competitive with Mark's in the event you'd like to get another quote.

Whatever you decide, please come back and post about the experience. Consumer feedback is essential in learning more about areas for Diane to maintain her great list of providers!!

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:45 pm

Interesting that you would recommend contacting Archie White. He was banned from this site in 2004, I believe, for speaking his mind, not for the quality of his work. I know Archie and he is a good man and runs a good company but does believe in speaking his mind which sometimes run counter to the operaters of this site.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:08 pm

I remember Archie. I personally didn't like his comments, I thought he was rude and insensitive to victims posting here, but to my recollection nobody ever questioned his ethics or company's quality. If Lee recommends him, that is a big plug.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:17 pm

I wasn't around when Archie was posting on the site and I haven't gone back to read them. I'm sure if Musicmom remembers them as rude, they probably were, some people do not have a flair for inputting inflection into posts so that they do not come across as rude, I don't know what the problems were but. his ship has been run tight ever since I can remember and was known to provide good quality service in Georgia. I use to work for United in Georgia about 2 hours out of Atlanta in Augusta and our drivers always received great help from his office. As Musicmom states, no one has questioned his ethics or quality of service.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:26 pm

Those who know Archie (I have spoken with him and have a standing lunch offer next time I'm in Atlanta) will remember him as being from the old school movers.

I can picture Archie being forced to join the age of computers, much like my old boss Jerry Caton was. He hated computers with a passion, until someone told him he could sit in his office and follow his stocks.. Kept him out of our hair..

Archie's family started out when moving was like NASCAR, and all the owners were good old boys.

By the way, I wasn't recommending nor endorsing his company. I merely stated his company would be a good one to get an estimate from, because all things aside, Archie is a man of integrity in his business dealings.

He just gets offended when someone goes on the offensive first, putting him into a defensive position.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

jendoe

Postby jendoe » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:09 pm

Thanks for the tip, I'll put Mr. White on my list to talk to...

I put in a web request for a quote from Two Men and a Truck (Suwannee) as well - just to see... I had asked them to email me, but of course they called instead (and I wasn't home) and just left a message saying "We have your quote, please call us back". :roll:

Three weeks 'til moving!

Thanks for all the advice... the introductory article that explains how to use the various sites (safersys, etc) was great too - I've been looking through there. Amazing how many companies look fairly large, online, and then you find out they only have 3 trucks ;)

Thanks,
-jendoe

jendoe

Postby jendoe » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:55 pm

Just a quick update, I talked to Mr. White (AC White Moving) and he was very nice and helpful on the phone, thank you for the suggestion! His rate was much better ($115/hour for 3 men and a truck) but he has a higher minimum time (4 hours) than the other people I've contacted.

I also talked to 2 Men and a Truck (Suwanee) who referred me to the Atlanta branch. They were willing to send 2 men and a truck for $107/h with a 2 hour minimum. Both of the people I talked to were nice, and asked intelligent questions about my move - but I've read so many mixed reviews, because of the franchises, I think I'm going to pass. :(

I think that I'm going to call Mark the Mover back tomorrow and see if I get a different person, and how that goes. I'm thinking that if I can start moving some of the smaller stuff the day before, then for sure my move should take 2-3 hours tops - which would make MtM a bit more cost effective.

If I still get a bad feeling about MtM from the phone call tomorrow, I think I'll suck up the extra costs and go with AC White. After talking with him on the phone, I don't have any concerns about their quality - it's really just the 4 hour minimum. I mentioned this to him, and he explained that yeah, he understood - there are tradeoffs, some people charge more per hour, with less required hours, and vice versa, because either way they need to recoup the costs of sending out a team for a small job.

Just wanted to post an update, and thank you all again for the suggestions and feedback. I'll definitely come back and post how it goes, when it's all over. I'm still planning on Sept. 28th as moving day ;)

Thanks!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:06 pm

Some companies do have higher minimums, based on the geographic area they serve.

Small companies that don't go out of the metro area can afford lower minimums. But for companies whose area of service might be a 100 mile radius, you can see where a higher minimum offsets the non revenue miles to and from the terminal.

In the SF Bay Area of Calif, some companies have taken to eliminating all but basic minimums, and charge portal to portal. (from the whse and back)

I personally don't care for that system, as it tends to result in all sorts of delays from the end of the move, i.e. traffic jams, etc.

My question is this.. It seems you have gotten minimum hours, and hourly rates, but has anyone committed to giving you an estimate.

Someone may say they have a 2 hr or 3 hr minimum, and the job might take six.

I would suggest getting firm estimates (In-home is always the #1 preference). You aren't moving till the 28th, and that is a Thursday, so you have adequate time.

And I'm glad Archie kept his word that he would personally involve himself with anyone recommended to call from this site.

jendoe

Postby jendoe » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:04 am

Thanks Biglee, and yeah, it does make sense re: the costs.

Quick question - is it necessary to get an in-home estimate for a very small move like this? I was under the impression that for this type of move (not alot of stuff, and not alot of distance) that most places wouldn't do in-home estimates... ?

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:16 pm

It's always a good idea to get a visual estimate, regardless of the move size.

Reason #1 is that you then will get a firm, written estimate.

#2 - telephone estimates usually are not binding, so the mover could theoretically charge extra, add charges, etc.

#3 - A visual estimate will tell the mover if there are problems with access, i.e. low trees, power lines, stairs, hills, etc.

If you feel comfortable with the company you're dealing with, then it is a decision best left to yourself. But ask them what the typical time frame is for a move such as yours. How do they charge? When the truck arrives at your home, until the last piece is placed in your home? Or from the time the truck leaves their terminal until it returns.....

Those are questions that need answering before you sign anything.
I would hate for you to have to say.. "They didn't tell me about this charge when I agreed to hire them"

keep us posted

Return to “Open Community”