*Atlanta Peach Movers for In-town Move?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Alw1977

*Atlanta Peach Movers for In-town Move?

Postby Alw1977 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:27 am

Everything seems to be in line with this company as far as the BBB and safersys website are concerned. I've been quoted a WEEKEND rate of $144/hour for three men, minimum three hours. We're simply moving out of a storage unit into a new house. Should be a pretty simple job. Does anyone have any experience, negative or positive, to share? Thanks.

Alw1977

Re: Atlanta Peach Movers for In-town Move?

Postby Alw1977 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:39 am

I also received a quote from "mark the mover" who is recommended on this site. While the person I spoke with was very friendly, he stated we would NEED four men (to move our 10X15 storage unit?) at a rate of $170/hour, and that it would take 4-6 hours. Is he just being realistic or are the other places I've called low-balling me by saying our move might take only 3-4 hours? We don't want our movers to set up beds or tables, we just need brawn and a truck.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:55 am

Atlanta Peach had 37 BBB complaints over the past 36 months, the last time I checked. This is definitely NOT a good record. You can search on "Atlanta Peach" in quotation marks to see other disturbing posts about this company, for example here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=45

I am not qualified to comment on the time you would need for the workers to do this move, but you might do better pricewise by renting a truck yourself and going on www.eMove.com to select a high-rated company or calling www.LaborReady.com. (The former will be more skilled but will not have liability and workers' comp insurance; the latter will have such insurance but may be unskilled.) I think LaborReady has a 4-hour minimum but many of the eMove Moving Helpers have only a 2-hour minimum. Possibly the eMove people could rent a truck for you.

Click on the link below my signature to see what has been said here about moving companies in the Atlanta area.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

alan

Postby alan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:28 pm

this companey did 6,000 moves lasst year maybe someone should get there calculater out and do the math.. Thats not bad.. they do more moves then half of the movers in atlanta combined....gees

jendoe

Postby jendoe » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:40 pm

Hi Alw1977,

You might want to check out my thread above - I'm also in the process of coordinating a local Atlanta move!

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9913

I actually HAVE used Atlanta Peach Movers in the past (if they are the same ones that I'm thinking of - the ones with the signs saying, "We roll out the red carpet, literally, for you..."?) several years ago (>3).

The first time was to move packed items from a storage unit into an apartment, and they were fabulous. Very professional, the driver explained the paperwork to me and walked me through what was going on, and they all worked hard and fast and easily made it under the minimum time. They also seemed careful with my stuff.

My only issue was that it was a bit expensive (I don't remember how many people, a crew of either 4 or 5 - so you can see why my tiny little one bedroom apartment move was done so quickly!!!) Fast is great, but I wished at the time that I could have gotten a smaller team, or a lower minimum hour timeframe. (And it was my first move using a mover, ever, so in all honesty - maybe I *could* have gotten a smaller crew, it just didn't occur to me to even ask.)

The second move was about 3 months later, from that apartment to a new one. They were ok, and still came in under the minimum timeframe, but not quite as careful (and there was a little complaining about moving the stuff up to the 3rd floor apartment - which I wasn't sure how to take. I know carrying heavy stuff up stairs sucks - but that's part of why I hired movers!) Some of my stuff (again, this is going off memory from a few years back) seemed to get a little bit banged up (it's not really expensive stuff, and I didn't pursue it) and they didn't seem concerned about carrying electronics (i.e. tv!) uncovered in the rain out to the truck, which kind of bothered me, though now 3 years later I can say it all turned out fine, nothing needed to be replaced or anything ;)

I would be interested to hear how it goes and how long it takes if you use them. I had thought about using them again, but was a little worried by some of the reviews (that have been posted here), plus my memory of them being expensive (I should look through my old files and see if I can find anything about how much it cost). I figured I'd check around and see who else was worth checking into for Atlanta.

If you look at my thread, you'll see I've got quotes from 2 Men and a Truck (Atlanta office), Mark the Mover, and AC White - and I'm going to be using AC White. (I had really expected to be using MtM based on the reviews here and on other sites, but it didn't work out that way. And, I had a very similar experience to you today when I called a second time to see about a quote from them - I had a guy who told me they needed four people whereas the first person had said three, and that it would probably take at least 4 hours... which was a bit more than I expected from talking to other movers and my previous experience!)

Anyway, just some other info if it helps:

From talking to local friends who have moved recently - they've also had experience with:

- 1 person used 2 Men and a Truck (which is why I called) and had a great experience, very cheap, friendly and worked well for her. I'm not sure which franchise she used though, and she didn't even realize there were different franchises. I got a quote (very low) but was scared away by the wide variation in reviews...

- 2 people used "A Mother's Helper" (?) - one person (moving a large house from Suwanee to Dunwoody) did NOT recommend them - said they were late and slow. The other (moving an apartment) had a good experience and did recommend them.

- The same guy who had the bad experience with A Mother's Helper said that several people at his work have used "Chandler Moving" (?) - but I don't know these people, and the website didn't look very promising. Just to be sure, I checked some of the research links posted in the article here on movingscam.com about checking out companies, and couldn't find them registered at all - so that ruled them out for me. (They are here, if you are curious: http://home.mindspring.com/~chanmoco/ch ... ndstorage/ )

- 1 other person moved from an apartment to a house, and used something like "One Great Woman Moving Company" (?) - I had looked them up online, thought the website was decent, but wasn't encouraged by what I saw when I did the research (can't remember what it was now). Also - my friend didn't give them a glowing report. She said they were "just ok." but didn't give details.

Phew. So that's where I am. Good luck with your move, I hope it all goes quickly and smoothly! :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:55 pm

Thanks for this additional information. For what it's worth, several van line drivers posting on www.householddrivers.com have commented that it's hard to find good moving helpers in Atlanta. There are lots of moving companies, but they complain that the quality of the workers just isn't very high overall.

Alw1977

Postby Alw1977 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:39 am

Thanks, JenDoe. We looked into renting a truck ourselves and using emove helpers... but I am turned off by the "prepay" function of emove and the no insurance thing. I think we may end up using Two Men and a Truck. Mark the Mover gave me a really high estimate, and I cannot justify $170 an hour when the next highest was over $30 less per hour. This is a really easy move and we will be there to supervise the entire thing. We're looking at using the Alpharetta branch of Two Men, and I've read better reviews on this branch. Whatever we end up doing, I'll post once our move is done to provide feedback on (hopefully) good movers in the ATL area.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:33 am

I just did a search and found this very positive review of Two Men and a Truck in Smyrna - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5612 There may be other reviews but it's time-consuming to search for them because every post containing the words two, men, and truck comes up. Jendoe, if you could find out which branch your friend used, that would be great, and also, Alw1977's report will be very valuable.

I just went to the Georgia PSC website and copied this report on every branch of Two Men and a Truck in Georgia. It shows the number of complaints so far in 2006 and the number of in-state moves each branch performed in 2005.

TWO MEN AND A TRUCK (ATLANTA MOVERS, LLC DBA) 1640 MCFARLAND 400 DR ALPHARETTA 770-887-3204
1-RC/DL complaint
1,162 moves

TWO MEN AND A TRUCK (EAST TENNESSEE MOVING CO., LLC) 5295 HIGHWAY 78 SUITE V STONE MOUNTAIN GA 423-870-4450
0 complaints
4,320 moves

TWO MEN AND A TRUCK (J. STEVEN DONNELLY, INC., DBA) 1575 NORTHSIDE DR, NW, 300 ATLANTA TECHNOLOGY CNTR, STE 355 ATLANTA 404-355-9650
1-DL complaint
3,000 moves

TWO MEN AND A TRUCK (MIKE & KELLY ENTERPRISES, LLC) 185 FULTON COURT PEACHTREE CITY GA 30269 706-364-1754
1-DL/S complaint
274 moves

TWO MEN AND A TRUCK (NAVIN ENTERPRISES, INC., DBA) 2826 COBB LN SMYRNA 678-305-7304
0 complaints
2,500 moves

TWO MEN AND A TRUCK (R & M ATHENS, LLC, DBA) 446 HUNTINGTON RD., STE. 110 ATHENS 706-227-4100
0 complaints
70 moves

TWO MEN AND A TRUCK (VM SERVICES, INC. D/B/A) 1625 ROCK MOUNTAIN BLVD. STE #D STONE MOUNTAIN GA 30083 770-938-1113
0 complaints
0 moves

TWO MEN AND A TRUCK (WAVIN ENTERPRISES, INC., DBA) 1257 G KENNESTONE CIRCLE MARIETTA 770-792-0304
4-DL/S complaints
1,660 moves

TWO MEN AND A TRUCK OF SAVANNAH (RELIABLE SVCS GROUP INC DBA) 149 EASON DRIVE POOLER GA 843-529-0220
0 complaints
977 moves

TWO MEN AND A TRUCK/AUGUSTA 3520 WRIGHTSBORO RD AUGUSTA 803-731-7775
0 complaints
726 moves

TWO MEN AND A TRUCK/NORTH GWINNETT 1049 INDUSTRIAL CT STE A SUWANEE 770-932-9898
0 complaints
2,226 moves

http://www.psc.state.ga.us/transportati ... rsdata.asp

Alw1977

Postby Alw1977 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:12 pm

Change in plans... called Mark the Mover back and spoke with someone different. I have booked them for our move as the price quoted was more reasonable (one less man). I'll post a report once we've moved. Thanks for the help.

Suhbee1

Postby Suhbee1 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:53 pm

Wanted to post a follow-up to my own move. I had gotten help from MusicMom moving from Toledo to Atlanta in June-July 2006 - I almost got scammed by PonyXpress, but had a great experience working with Josh Taylor with Berman in Cleveland who got me hooked up with Corrigan (United) in Michigan, the move went better than expected and was $2000 less than the original estimate.

So we found a house after 2 months in Atlanta, and I used this message board to find a reputable local mover in Atlanta. After searching the forums, I decided to go with Mark the Mover and spoke with Paul, who arranged my move in a timely fashion on Sun 9/10 - he offered 3 men at $140/hr or 4 men at $170/hr. I chose the latter, hoping to get the job done in 2 hours (there is a 2 hours minimum). They showed up on time (between 8-9AM on Sunday) and brought 2 extra guys (probably local temps) but at no additional charge - lead guy / driver was Xavier, who was polite and very professional. They moved ~20 heavy large pieces of furniture from a second-story apartment to the second story of my new house (with tight turns and narrow doorways) within 2 hours on the nose. Would have been quicker but I had a large armchair that had to be taken apart and rebuilt in order to get it into a small office. My total charge was $383.00, which I thought was VERY worth it (I would never have been able to move those pieces myself without damaging the furniture or house).

Hope this is helpful. I tried to register previously but had some problems with it, but I'll try again. Appreciate everyone's help on this board!
David

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:13 pm

David,

Thanks so much for the additional review of Mark the Mover, which I'll add to my summary post linked to below.

Regarding your move from Toledo, did Berman book the move and then the hauler was from Corrigan, or how did Corrigan get into it? I just want to give credit where it's due.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:21 pm

Hey, David, glad it worked out so well!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:40 pm

OK, I found the runup to David's post and I now know that Corrigan has a location in Toledo, so they were the booker and hauler but Josh from Berman played an important role in getting the move booked on short notice:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8811 (end) I'll add this review to my summary post as well.
Diane

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:45 pm

Jendoe come back and let us know how your move went with AC White.

Also let us know if Archie stayed in contact, or after you booked he let the staff handle it...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:02 pm

Diane wrote:Jendoe, if you could find out which branch your friend used, that would be great

I've tried - my friend seems to have no idea. I believe it was an in-town move (she said they might be over on/near Northside Drive, if I remember right) - which is third in the list. But she didn't seem very certain...

[This one:
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK (J. STEVEN DONNELLY, INC., DBA) 1575 NORTHSIDE DR, NW, 300 ATLANTA TECHNOLOGY CNTR, STE 355 ATLANTA 404-355-9650
1-DL complaint
3,000 moves ]

(She's actually a co-worker, not someone I know personally outside the office, which is why I don't have too many intimate details about where she lives or anything ;) )

I will definitely post back after my move with AC White. I'm a bit stressed now - not knowing what the next step is. He was able to fax me the rate/min hours/date so that I'd have a record - but we didn't set up an actual time. I believe someone else was supposed to call me, but I haven't heard anything from them yet - so I'm probably going to call the company monday and ask if there's someone I should be coordinating with...

Starting packing today. Two weekends and a few days left til the move. Can't wait til it's over! :)

Return to “Open Community”