Home Express

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Texas Girl

Re: Home Express

Postby Texas Girl » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:03 am

Diane,

I sent ECM a private message. I will give his friend a call. I am trying to explore all alternatives.

Texas Girl

Postby Texas Girl » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:42 am

There is a website called Frisco-Online. I posted a message and asked if anyone had experience with Joyce Van Lines. Here is the response: http://www.frisco-online.com/forum/mess ... adid=84477. Joyce Van Lines will receive no further consideration from me.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:54 am

Wow . . . that IS a bad report. Can we be sure it is the same branch of Joyce that you were considering?

Incidentally, would you be willing to mention MovingScam.com in that forum? We're always trying to spread awareness of this website and its blacklist since the government doesn't seem to be able to pass and enforce good laws protecting consumers from bad moves.

Texas Girl

Postby Texas Girl » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:33 am

Diane,

Yes, I will be happy to mention movingscam. com. Joyce Van Lines lists eleven locations on their website. There is only one in Texas. It is located in the Dallas area. I think the move that originated in Frisco was definitely the Texas agent. I do not know about the one that was posted on the Frisco-Online forum. They are scratched off my list irregardless.

I called the Miles from Home program that is run by Cendant Mobility. They are the ones who referred me to Home Express. I gave them a piece of my mind regarding their "pre-screened" mover referral. The woman I talked to said she used to work for North American Van Lines in Dallas. She has a good friend still there. She is going to call her and have her call me to see if she can assist me to get one of their agents in Houston to come to Beaumont.

Meanwhile I called A-OK Movers in Beaumont and spoke with the owner. He thinks it must be his brother's son who is ECM's friend. We had a long conversation. He used to be the North American Van Lines agent in Beaumont. He has downsized--as many in Beaumont have. This area is economically depressed. North American orignally moved me to Beaumont in 1968. I used them for a local move in 1972. ECM's friends bought the company in 1973. He mentioned Harris Moving & Storage Co. in Houston as being a good mover. They are a North American Van Lines agent and are a Pinnacle Mover.

I also contacted the local Allied agent here in Beaumont and made an appointment for them to come and make an estimate on June 21. I am getting desperate.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:53 am

Well, I'm going to add some of the information here about Joyce to my summary post linked to below.

If A-OK can accommodate you, I vote for them. ECM is one of the most respected drivers in the U.S.--he is assigned to high-profile executive moves and the Mayo Clinic and so on--and I trust his judgment completely. National is a smaller van line but seems to be good from what I have been told.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

sallylj

Beaumont, TX to Frisco, TX

Postby sallylj » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:33 pm

I do not know if I am starting a new thread or if this will appear under the title of "Home Express". Joyce Van Lines and Home Express are no longer a consideration. Tomorow morning the estimator from Armstrong, a United Van Lines agent from Houston is coming to give me an estimate. I tried to tell him that my moving date is between August 15 and September 15 and had wanted to schedule the estimate for a later date, but he insisted it could be done now.

I have an appointment with the Beaumont Allied estimator for June 21. Today I got through to the estimator with Wald Mayflower. He is giving me a ballpark number of $5,700. I asked him if he would give me a GNTE. He said he would not. His bid would be binding. There would be no adjustments. Without having received any bids at this point in time, Wald Mayflower is my favorite. This is causing me to question if I should ask the other companies to give me binding bids. The Wald estimator said that people think they are going to save money with a GNTE if the shipment comes in under the estimated weight. He said this is a fallacy. He said often if there is a savings on weight there might be an increase in packing charges or additional service. Does this make sense? I am scheduling the Wald estimate for July 15.

I called a local clock company and found out their price for coming to my home and preparing my grandfather's clock for the move. They do not crate but immobilize the movement, remove the pendulum and pack the weights. The mover will have to have the clock crate built. The Wald estimator said I was doing the right thing to get the clock serviced by a Beaumont firm. If they arranged it, the service people would travel from Houston, and I would be charged for it.

I debated for quite some time whether to move my washing machine and drier. They probably have a few more good years left; but when I considered the cost of servicing at both locations, and the cost of transporation, I decided it is best to leave them behind and buy new ones.

Diane

Re: Beaumont, TX to Frisco, TX

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:00 pm

sallylj wrote:The Wald estimator said that people think they are going to save money with a GNTE if the shipment comes in under the estimated weight. He said this is a fallacy. He said often if there is a savings on weight there might be an increase in packing charges or additional service. Does this make sense?

All I can tell you is that we have heard this before--that some companies will try to make up for it with semi-bogus additional packing charges if the actual weight comes in lower than the GNTE weight. I do not know whether it actually happens. I recall one case reported here where a company may have tried it but backed down when the customer questioned the charges.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5676

Here is what "PMueller" (works for Allied) posted about the issue:
The packing amount (total containers, packing, crating, etc) should not be exceeded, but I've seen some companies that do not include this in their binding. If there is credit within the transportation figure and the number of cartons used was more than estimated on some sizes, they will recoup as much of the packing as possible.

Actually you might be interested in looking at the whole thread where she posted that: - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7944 Note that she says that she gives a lot of Binding rather than GNTE estimates. Drivers also like Binding estimates.

Offhand I would say to keep to your idea of asking for a GNTE estimate from the other companies. You can see why Wald might want a Binding if they are going to come some distance to move you (to make it worth their while).

Other people have had problems getting grandfather clocks REassembled on delivery. You might think about who is actually going to do that in Frisco.

sallylj

Postby sallylj » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:45 pm

Diane,

I was thinking I should get binding quotes from Armstrong and Allied, but your comment makes sense to see how GNTE compares. I am very interested to find how the local mover compares to the Houston movers.

I asked the clock company here in Beaumont if they could recommend someone in the Dallas area. The lady was unable to, but she had several suggestions. The clock is almost 30 years old. It is an Ethan Allen clock. I am going to start with the Ethan Allen store in Frisco. Then there are the yellow pages and most of all there is the Frisco-Online forum. I have already got several good suggestions from the forum for services in Frisco.

sallylj

Postby sallylj » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:52 am

The estimator from Brodrick-Texas, the Beaumont, TX, Allied Van Lines Agent came to my house yesterday and did the survey. All went smoothly except for the timing. I am looking at beginning the move on September 5 with one day for packing, load on September 6 and deliver in Frisco on September 8. The estimator said they would drive to Dallas after loading and unload on September 7. He said it would take 6-7 hours to load on the 6th. I said look I am a 65 year old woman, all by myself, and it is a six hour drive to Dallas. Under the best of conditions when I start the drive to Dallas early in a morning I am still exhausted just from the six hour drive. There is no way I could drive from Beaumont after following the loading and drive the Dallas freeways late at night. It is a 330 mile drive from my house in Beaumont to the new house in Frisco.

The estimator finally conceded that he could understood how difficult it would be for me. He then said they could add a charge for holding on the truck for one day. Then he said they would give me a senior citizen discount which brought the charge down to $375.

Armstrong Relocation, the United Van Lines agent from, Houston came out this morning. When I asked him about the timing, he said they would travel to Dallas the day after loading and unload on the 8th. I told him about the one day hold on truck charge. He said that was ludicrous. Furthermore had said it was illegal. The Armstrong estimator is supposed to email his estimate to me this afternoon.

The Wald Mayflower estimator wanted to delay making the estimate until four weeks before the move. The earliest I could persuade hime to come to Beaumont was July 17. I told the Armstrong estimator that I would like to wait until after I had the estimate from Wald before I made a decision. He said that was a mistake. In order to guarantee my dates I should be making my decision shortly. He implied that Wald does not want to come to Beaumont, and they are trying to discourage me. He said I should call Wald and tell them you snooze you lose.

I then called the Wald estimator and flat out asked him if he wanted my business or not. He said he most definitely did want my business; but if he makes an estimate now it will not be valid for more than 60 days and he cannot guarantee his bid for a September move. He said the other company could sign me up now and then demand a price increase when the moving date arrived, or I might have a very unhappy driver on my hands and might suffer the consequences.

I asked the Wald estimator about the hold on truck charge. He said it was not illegal; but it was very bad customer service; and they would not do that.

The Wald agent is supposed to call me back this afternoon to move our appointment up to the first week of July.

The Allied agent said they do not accept credit cards on moves within the state of Texas. The Armstrong agent said they accept all major credit cards including American Express.

I have a headache.

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:49 pm

sally i hope your headache is better...unless its an intra texas rule its not illegal to charge "vanstorage",we do it all the time if the customer wants to wait a day or so before delivery.its still busy in sept so they are trying to recoup some of the lost revenue that truck will lose being tied up for that extra day..as far as any price increases between now and then the only possibility is the fuel surcharge and that cant be more than 1 or 2 percent if fuel goes even higher. tarriff increases are done in the beginning of the year not in the middle of the moving season..what really concerns me is the badmouthing these so called salespeople are doing about their compatition..maybe im old school but my theory is if you nneed to badmouth someone else to get the job,you are not doing your own job...they should be selling themselves and their company,not trashing others to get your business..also i would question the one who is trying to charge vanstorage about his time estimate...if it takes 6-7 hours to load and then 6-7 hours to drive to frisco they are really pushing the hours of service regulations to the limit..they are only allowed to work/drive 14 hours and then must go off duty for 10 hours..if your loading time goes over or there is a traffic issue,they wont make it. as far as the allied agent not taking credit cards,again thats his option,im sure they dont take them because they dont want to pay the vendor fee which is usually around 2.5% for visa and discover and as high as 6% for amex.
so ill stop now because although i was trying to answer your questions or concerns,upon reading this i just realized ive probably just turned your headache into a massive migraine...

sallylj

Postby sallylj » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:39 am

I made my decision this week and have signed the paperwork to have Wald Mayflower from Houston handle my move from Beaumont to Frisco, TX. The Wald estimator drove over from Houston last Friday. He made his survey and printed out his estimate before he left. He seemed the most willing to accomodate all of my concerns. I reviewed his estimate and made a spreadsheet to compare the four estimates that I had received. Wald was the only one that gave me a binding bid. Wald was ~$1000 less than A-OK in Beaumont. I won't know until after the move if I made the right choice. I have put it on my to do list to report back to the forum after the move. I want to thank Diane and everybody who responded to my posts.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:58 pm

Hi again - glad we could help and please do keep us posted.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:33 pm

Having worked for a dual agent (Mayflower & United) I can say that in your area Wald is one of our favorites.

You should have a smooth move with them.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

sallylj

Postby sallylj » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:17 am

The move was not good, but it could have been worse. The estimator from Wald Mayflower came to my house and drove up my street. I asked him if he saw any problem loading. He said no. The driver could not make the the turn onto my street. They wanted $820 more for a shuttle. I asked if I could just pay for the packing and get another mover. I called Mr. Olson at A-OK. He is in the hospital. In the meantime the driver decided they could do a long carry of 250 ft. for $400. I paid. I had no choice. That was Sept. 6. They started carrying things out at 11 AM and finished near 8 PM. It was hot and sticky. I am old. I suffered.

They delivered to the new house in Frisco on Sept. 9. The truck was able to make the turns at the new house. It took about six hours to unload. There are some scratches and rubs on my furniture, but it could have been worse. The driver refused to uncrate my clock. I had difficulty making the Spanish-speaking crew understand where I wanted my furniture placed.

The packing was atrocious. This is the fourth time I have had professional packers. It was absolutely the worst. I had not moved since 1987. This was really an unpleasant move. I do not know what I could have done to have had a better move. Mr. Olson from A-OK might have been better; but if I had selected him with his hospitalization that would have been a bad situation. I do not think United or Allied would have been any better.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:40 pm

Sally,

I've been thinking about you because I knew from posts on www.householddrivers.com that Mr. Olson was in the hospital. His nephew Lane Olson, the driver for National Van Lines, has been looking after the business for him. (Incidentally, people have posted great things about the nephew - how helpful he has been to other drivers. He seems to be another one like Ruges that is an all-around great guy.)

I'm just glad that your move with Wald went as well as it did. The changes from "no access problem" to "need a shuttle" to "long carry possible" do raise questions in my mind. It seems as if the sales rep should have anticipated this problem when he gave his quote, since he saw your residence.

Thanks so much for coming back to report and I'll add your review to my summary post linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”