Has anyone had problems with Wheaton The People Movers?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Lorrie Ann

Has anyone had problems with Wheaton The People Movers?

Postby Lorrie Ann » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:20 pm

I used Wheaton The People Movers from LA (they moved to Ontario) and purchased Full Value Replacement Insurance. My claim was filed for $70,260 they did so much damage and stole many things. The insurance company TransGuard of IL denied my claim today. I even found newspapers (LA Times, I didn't have this paper) in the boxes that were dated after my move; they opened my boxes and repacked with new paper.

I will be filing a lawsuit for damages and am aware this will cost more money and time; but I do not want both of them to pull "this scam" on anyone else.

lorrie

MusicMom

Re: Has anyone had problems with Wheaton The People Movers?

Postby MusicMom » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:25 pm

The newspaper thing kindof proves there was fiddling with your boxes, so you might want to try filing a police report for theft. Others have had troubles with police reports because there is no proof the boxes were opened and rifled through by the movers, only speculation. It's worth a shot.

What kinds of things were stolen? And what exactly did they bother to repack in the LA Times? Or was it that they were stuffing the empty spaces left after removing items?

Did you contact Wheaton HQ?

For reference, here's the info for The People Movers, agents for Wheaton Van Lines:
The People Movers
1801-L Highland Ave
Duarte, CA 91010
PH: 909-390-1235
TOLL FREE: 800-481-5554
FAX: 909-390-1236
WEB SITE: www.thepeoplemovers.com
EMAIL: people.movers@verizon.net

(The BBB has a PeopleMovers Co. listed in Del Mar, CA, as agents for Mayflower. The website listed is non-funtioning)
Last edited by MusicMom on Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:27 pm

Oh, and just checking, you mean they moved to Ontario, California, not Ontario, Canada? The Wheaton site puts them in Ontario, CA, their own website listed the Duarte address.

It looks like they one a Quality Commitment Award from Wheaton in 2004, so they could be persuaded to get this solved ASAP.

What was the reason that Transguard denied the claim?
Pros, can she re-submit the claim, or is it once denied, always denied?

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:32 pm

I would have a couple of questions.

Based on the claim amount I would consider the AMSA arbitration program. Wheaton is a member.

What was the amount of the full value protection you took out? And remember, with movers you don't take out insurance. It is valuation.

Did you file your claim directly with PeopleMovers, or with Wheaton?

Secondly, unless you have exceptions on your inventory at the time of receiving your goods, noting damage and loss, you might have a problem trying to prove things were stolen.

If you had noticed a great deal of damage, you should have called Wheaton directly while the movers were still there, and explained that your move was a total disaster, and ask them to send someone from a local agent out to document the damage with you.

If you have newspapers that are dated subsequent to the date your shipment was loaded, I would contact the police department in the city where your shipment was loaded. It might be fruitful, and it might be a waste of time.

$70,260 is awfully high for a claims damage. I think in all my 16 yrs, the largest claim amount I heard of on a hhg shipment was around $25,000 and it was filed against Bekins.

Remember in filing your claim, you can only file for documented damage. If you didn't take exceptions when the driver was checking off the shipment, it will basically be your word against theirs. I trust that you did make those notations on the inventories. If you had antiques, hopefully you had appraisals on them to determine valuation. And if you had items valued in excess of $100 per pound, you noted them on a high value inventory form.

Here is the link to the AMSA telling you how to request binding arbitration.

Good luck.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:40 pm

Did you move within California? Or to another state?

lorrie

Postby lorrie » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:26 am

I filed a police report because a employee of the moving company stole $500 from my wallet; the police never found it they searched all the employees but did find pot so one was arrested. I filed complaints with Wheaton, Federal Agency, CA PUC, CA & IL BBB, police. They stole two iron gates ca 1880's valued at $2,500 I have witnesses that saw them loaded onto trucks, irons, sump pumps, dolley, trash cans, large urn flower pots, antique fishing gear, 5 electric saws. They were just trying to fill in the empty space. They were so bad they broke a antique oak table in half valued at $2,000. $6,300 worth of damage to my antique baby grand piano. I have pictures of all damage as it was taken off of the trucks. They also held one truck hostage wanting more money until I called PUC. I could go on and on- I am filing a lawsuit against the movers and insurance company. Lorrie
MusicMom wrote:The newspaper thing kindof proves there was fiddling with your boxes, so you might want to try filing a police report for theft. Others have had troubles with police reports because there is no proof the boxes were opened and rifled through by the movers, only speculation. It's worth a shot.

What kinds of things were stolen? And what exactly did they bother to repack in the LA Times? Or was it that they were stuffing the empty spaces left after removing items?

Did you contact Wheaton HQ?

For reference, here's the info for The People Movers, agents for Wheaton Van Lines:
The People Movers
1801-L Highland Ave
Duarte, CA 91010
PH: 909-390-1235
TOLL FREE: 800-481-5554
FAX: 909-390-1236
WEB SITE: www.thepeoplemovers.com
EMAIL: people.movers@verizon.net

(The BBB has a PeopleMovers Co. listed in Del Mar, CA, as agents for Mayflower. The website listed is non-funtioning)

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:11 am

Well, that's certainly a lot more information! It sounds like they were taking random things, not just items of value. I mean, where exactly can you pawn antique fishing gear???

What did the police say about all this? Please do keep us informed of the outcome of your claims and reports.

lorrie

Postby lorrie » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:52 pm

Yes they moved to Ontario, CA. I've contacted Wheaton headquarters in IL; they don't want to get involved. Funny since their name is on the side of the moving trucks. TransGuard insurance denied my claim saying I didn't do it in a timely manner. They are only using the first delivery date; not the last delivery which was six weeks later. The moving company was holding this truck for ransom; I contacted the PUC and they finally delivered my belongings without additional charge. I plan on filing a lawsuit to recoup my loses.
Oh, and just checking, you mean they moved to Ontario, California, not Ontario, Canada? The Wheaton site puts them in Ontario, CA, their own website listed the Duarte address.

It looks like they one a Quality Commitment Award from Wheaton in 2004, so they could be persuaded to get this solved ASAP.

What was the reason that Transguard denied the claim?
Pros, can she re-submit the claim, or is it once denied, always denied?

lorrie

Postby lorrie » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:03 pm

Full Value Replacement insurance was for $100,000. I filed with People Movers, it took them two months to forward my claim to TransGuard insurance in IL (Whaton headquarters in IL) The movers NEVER did an inventory; I thought they were at the time of loading, they told me after everything was loaded. I took pictures of all the damage as it was unloaded off the trucks. I paid for a piano crate and they didn't provide it on the moving day. They did $6,300 worth of damage to my antique baby grand piano, broke a solid antique oak table in two valued at $2,000, stole two antique iron gates (I have witnesses that saw them loaded into moving trucks) valued at $2,500, put splits in my antique oak buffet that cannot be repaired valued at $10,000, etc, etc I have hundreds of items damaged, stolen or destroyed on my claim. I was never provided the weight documents either. Thank you for the AMSA information.
Lorrie I would have a couple of questions.

Based on the claim amount I would consider the AMSA arbitration program. Wheaton is a member.

What was the amount of the full value protection you took out? And remember, with movers you don't take out insurance. It is valuation.

Did you file your claim directly with PeopleMovers, or with Wheaton?

Secondly, unless you have exceptions on your inventory at the time of receiving your goods, noting damage and loss, you might have a problem trying to prove things were stolen.

If you had noticed a great deal of damage, you should have called Wheaton directly while the movers were still there, and explained that your move was a total disaster, and ask them to send someone from a local agent out to document the damage with you.

If you have newspapers that are dated subsequent to the date your shipment was loaded, I would contact the police department in the city where your shipment was loaded. It might be fruitful, and it might be a waste of time.

$70,260 is awfully high for a claims damage. I think in all my 16 yrs, the largest claim amount I heard of on a hhg shipment was around $25,000 and it was filed against Bekins.

Remember in filing your claim, you can only file for documented damage. If you didn't take exceptions when the driver was checking off the shipment, it will basically be your word against theirs. I trust that you did make those notations on the inventories. If you had antiques, hopefully you had appraisals on them to determine valuation. And if you had items valued in excess of $100 per pound, you noted them on a high value inventory form.

Here is the link to the AMSA telling you how to request binding arbitration.

Good luck.

lorrie

Postby lorrie » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:08 pm

The police searched all the movers (not strip searched) but didn't find my money. They arrested the one for having pot and filed a report but couldn't do anything. Now I have to find a very aggressive attorney. I'll keep everyone informed. Lorrie
Well, that's certainly a lot more information! It sounds like they were taking random things, not just items of value. I mean, where exactly can you pawn antique fishing gear???

What did the police say about all this? Please do keep us informed of the outcome of your claims and reports.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:38 pm

They have a complaint on SuperYellowPages.com -
http://yellowpages.superpages.com/revie ... 3D%3D&PI=1

(Also a rave review - which sounds bogus, however.)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:29 pm

Did you move within California? What cities/counties? Or to another state?

lorrie

Postby lorrie » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:00 am

Diane wrote:They have a complaint on SuperYellowPages.com -
http://yellowpages.superpages.com/revie ... 3D%3D&PI=1

(Also a rave review - which sounds bogus, however.)

Thank you for the information; I checked it out. The second one sounds fake for sure. Lorrie

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:18 am

Nancy - Lorrie posted before that she moved intra-CA but then she deleted the post for some reason.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:01 am

Gotcha, I'm trying to figure out what cities/counties to refer her to the correct authorities. But knowing that it's intra Cal helps too.

Return to “Open Community”