Moving from Northern VA...Insite appreciated

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
BoredinVA

Moving from Northern VA...Insite appreciated

Postby BoredinVA » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:00 am

I am in the process of moving from Northern VA to WV, and have researched a number of companies. Of the 15 or so quotes I have recieved, only one company thus far has met every critical Criteria (including price):

Absolute Van Lines, DOT 1533062

I've searched Safesys, and the only red flags I saw there are a new permit application (July), and a Power rating of 1. I knew going in that they were a new company.

Has anyone dealt with this mover before, or have additional insite on them? These forums have been a great resource for me, and have kept me away from some other questionable movers.

Also, any reccomendations for movers in the Nothern VA area would be welcomed.

Thanks for any help...

MusicMom

Re: Moving from Northern VA...Insite appreciated

Postby MusicMom » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:09 am

Funny you mentioned that...

I've been going over movers with new licenses that I'm finding on vanlines.com to see if any are related to old movers, and Absolute, with a brand-new DOT number, caught my attention. It's run out of an apartment (and makes no efforts to hide that fact), has only been licensed since August 18, incorporation is anonymous through a CPA, and indeed has only one truck and driver (probably the owner, whom we know nothing about).

I'm not sure what criteria you are using to narrow your search, but I'm guessing you are using a find-a-mover site, maybe even the same vanlines.com where I found them. These sites are absolutely infested with scammers, and using them will get you nothing but trouble.

If you tell me where in VA you are moving from, and where in WV yo're going to, I can make some suggestions. I just recently moved from Alexandria, and have compiled a list of movers who have proven themselves and a list of movers that are not worth your time.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:12 am

Oh, sorry, I see you're from NoVA. Ok, here goes.

Independants:
Moyer & Sons
JK Moving (may be too pricey, but call them anyway)
Beltway Movers (may go to WV, not sure)

Major Van Lines:
Hilldrup
Von Paris
Paxton Van Lines
Victory Van Corp

I know I'm leaving at least two names out, but at this time of night, it's escaping me. Perhaps in the morning I can add them in. But first rule is to dump any movers who contacts you as a result of inputtting your move info into a website. Reputable movers don't need that kind of advertising, only those that can't get moves on their own.

BoredinVA

Postby BoredinVA » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:18 am

Thanks for the quick response. You are 100% correct, I was using a few find-a-mover sites, which is why 98% of what I've researched has come up as garbage. I was just thrilled to find someone who didn't have 50 recorded complaints against them!

I've heard great things about JK, and have indeed checked them out, but they are, as you pointed out, a bit too pricey for my needs.

I'll check out the other names you mentioned.

BTW, any info on 2 guys and a truck? I feel somewhat safe with them, but not sure if I can do better for the price (their quote is 135/hr for 3+truck).

I appreciate the service your site offers, and all you do for the community here.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:30 am

Two Guys And A truck seems OK, but at this site nobody has reviewed tme. The impression I get is that they do OK work for OK prices, nothing stellar in either category. But that's just an impression, and I could very well be wrong.

The Sterling branch has been around since 1994, has had 6 complaints at the BBB in the last year, which si not a terrible amount, and they're spread out over several categories, which puts aside any particular pattern of problems.

The price they quoted you seems about right for the DC Metro area.

jed

Postby jed » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:05 pm

give interstate van lines a try. i would love to take a trip to wva my home state

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:24 am

This is the Interstate Van Lines with the seafoam green trucks and the top hat on the warehouse on Rolling Road?

Yeah, that could be a possibility. I know they have been around forever, BBB says 1943, and I took oboe lessons a block away from them, so I know that location has been there for years. I do remember at one time there was discussion here on a complaint, but I don't see anything scary.

Is Interstate part of a major van line?

And Jed, how would you make sure you're the driver?

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:58 pm

Your going from one state to another state, thus making your move an interstate move which should not be charged by the hour. I am surprised no one has mentioned this point to you as of yet.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:16 pm

Whoa, that completely escaped me, Michael! Glad you're here.

So Bored, tell Two Men that they need to amend the quote to be based on weight for an interstate move.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:20 pm

That's why I am the professional. Please do not try this at home, some of us have been trained for years and at times know what we are doing, not necessarily know what we are saying, but damn close. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:41 pm

Now let's hear you explain what a combinatorial hexachord is. :P

:lol:

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:09 pm

a musical instrutment????
Michael

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:20 am

A hexachord is a chord with 6 notes.
This particular hexachord is an all-combinatorial hexachord since there are both inversional and transpositional ways of replicating either the hexachord or its complement.

(I'm not really sure what it is, either, but it's my husband's favorite snobby-phrase to spout :wink: )

guestNC

Postby guestNC » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:16 pm

My husband and I used JK for a local NVa move, and several family members did too. Good experiences except one. They broke something for my sister's move and tried to charge more than promised. But at least five family moves and no major complaints. They did try to squeeze our sofa through a tight doorway and ended up having to take my advice and go around back and through the sliding glass doors. However, a guy I worked with had a horror story about things being stolen in a local move by them. Our experience was that they had very nice and professional movers.

We used Victory Van Lines from NVa to North Carolina and were happy with everything except the communication. For a few days we couldn't find out when the delivery would be, but they made it within the designated time frame. One minor breakage (part on the vacuum) and we didn't bother to try to get our vacuum repaired through their insurance. Should have, but didn't want to go through the red tape. Very nice guys did the moving--same guys on both ends.

Now I'm on here trying to find a safe company for my mom's local move. I appreciate MusicMom's list!

Diane

Re: *Moving from Northern VA...Insite appreciated

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:39 pm

Thanks for your reviews of JK and Victory Van, which I added to my Superlist linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”