Has Anyone used Marin Worldwide Moving in San Francisco

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
vjaganat

Has Anyone used Marin Worldwide Moving in San Francisco

Postby vjaganat » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:51 pm

Hi
I am moving from San Francisco to Connecticut and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with "Marin Worldwide Moving & Storage " based in san francisco.

Thanks

MusicMom

Re: Has Anyone used Marin Worldwide Moving in San Francisco

Postby MusicMom » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:55 pm

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:10 pm

I agree that Marin sounds good but I'm confused because the thread from a year ago says that they are a United agent but their website says that they are "a Cor-O-Van company" and that's a North American agent, as far as I know. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:49 pm

Interestingly, I did that same move, Bay Area to CT about 5 years ago.
The experience was such a nightmare that when I moved back to CA, I rented a UHaul and hired day laborers help to load and unload the truck so I wouldn't have to deal with a moving company again.

Marin Worldwide Moving started by giving me a fixed bid and told me this was the "gold standard" as the price was *guaranteed* not to go above that quote bid. They were one of three companies that I had bid and my impressions were that they seemed fairly reliable (the estimator was very business like) and their bid was about in the middle of the three bids I received. I also checked Better Business Bureau and found no complaints against them.

Then the nightmare began. The packers that they sent to my apartment helped themselves to food in my kitchen and tried to scavenge stuff if I told them I wasn't taking it. They squashed my artwork, threw delicate stuff in random boxes and got annoyed when I pulled those things out and told them I would take it in my car. The packers left food trash in my kitchen and a couple extra mattress boxes outside my apartment building. The packers also screwed up on the paperwork, leaving all the documents they were supposed to mail in my apartment and calling me late that night to get me to mail those for them.

I tried to get over this initial stress and irritation and spent the next 6 days driving cross country, starting my time in CT by staying at a friend's house. I arrived prior to the range of 3 delivery days they gave me.

Then my truck was delayed past the delivery window, day after day after day for no apparent reason. They claimed that I could always reach the driver by cell phone and get his location when he actually was never available. I suspect that part of the delay was that the Marin people were trying to reach me at my friend's house in CT to get me to agree to a 40% increase in the price. I told my friend to always take a msg and say I was out. Finally I called DOT in frustration who said my only legal recourse would be a lawyer but the nice DOT guy agreed to call the Marin people and see if he could help convince them to deliver. The Marin office left me one more msg that they expected me to sign for the increased amount when my stuff was delivered and gave me a delivery date.

Finally the truck showed up. The driver then tried to add on all sorts of surcharges for the porch steps claiming the number was more than "standard". They also called the Marin office to make sure the payment was settled and I did some fast talking, assuring the driver that the Marin office had my credit card and authorization (which they did. . . for the original price agreed on). Luckily for me, the Marin people were so incompetent that they agreed that everything was settled. My stuff was unloaded and the truck went off.

Marin Worldwide Moving spent the next *three months* harassing me to try to get me to authorize the increased charge. I replied that the contract was a fixed bid and I had authorized the full amount of the bid and considered the transaction finished. They gave me one final high pressure phone call about how I was basically cheating them out of a fair price and ended up charging me what the original fixed price was.

Around the same time, the national carrier (United Van Lines?) they are affiliated with sent me a customer service questionaire and I filled that out truthfully with substandard scores and details of the poor and unethical service I had received from the packers, the driver and the Marin office. A few weeks after mailing in my responses to Allied Headquarters, the manager of the Marin office called me at home to go over my responses. Not to apologize! but to try to get me to say in so many words that his packers should be fired for their actions. Very slimy and ironic when the problem was the entire organization, him and his whole staff.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:29 am

Certainly not the kind of move that is typical of Marin...

And bear in mind that a company that has had problems would be remiss to not have taken the necessary steps to avoid repeats 5 years later.

Not defending them, but a lot of changes could have been made in that time, and I can't see United allowing a consistently substandard agency remaining in their agency family.

You might consider getting an estimate from their sister if you feel uncomfortable... Mayflower and United are commonly owned.

SAN RAFAEL
EARL FARNSWORTH EXPRESS
2111 FRANCISCO BLVD., EAST
SAN RAFAEL, CA 94901-5509
Telephone: (415) 459-6683
Fax: (415) 459-2724
Toll Free: (800) 201-6683
http://www.farnsworthmoving.com

Not recommending this company, but I do know the owner Cal Farnsworth, and you'll get an honest estimate. If you do contact him, tell him that Lee Williams from Caton referred you. (I'm now with another agent however)
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:00 am

Lee, I don't think Marin is a United agent, is it? It's not listed on the UVL website as such. I actually don't know WHAT it is, because it calls itself a Cor-o-Van company on its website. Does this mean that it's associated with NAVL?

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:08 pm

A Lot has changed in a couple of years. Marin in fact was a United agent, and their office was in San Rafael.

I did confirm that they are now agents for Cor-O-Van. United agents don't usually just up and switch van line affilliation, especially to a lesser quality van line. Nothing negative about Cor-O-Van, but we all know they don't have the capabilities of United, especially in the area of self hauls.

Without knowing the details, I won't speculate. I will just say that perhaps this shipper should get estimates from other carriers as well.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:23 pm

I agree. Is Cor-O-Van an actual separate van line like National Van Lines? Somehow I thought it was associated with North American Van Lines. No?

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:30 pm

No... They have their own authority for running California Intra, but anything else they are doing on NAVL authority.

Farnsworth I believe probably was getting the bear share of the market. I have worked with Cal Farnsworth on many occasions (we were both HP approved bookers) and know that he runs a tight ship.... Marin I didn't know that much about, except that we occasionally got requests from people in Marin wanting our United agency to do estimates.

Return to “Open Community”