*Moving from Florida to Georgia....Any advice????

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
aranaria@yahoo.com

*Moving from Florida to Georgia....Any advice????

Postby aranaria@yahoo.com » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:25 pm

Hi, Im so grateful I found this site. I looked for quotes, and feel they are all scams...too cheap, not enough info as to delivery dates, well you know the drill...Anyway I have gotten all I can from the website forum, but again things change, and someone good experince 6 mo. ago, can be a nightmare today. So If anyone knows a good moving company in the Miami-Dade area or near, please replay. Thanks. :wink:

Diane

Re: Moving from Florida to Georgia....Any advice????

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:28 pm

Hi - actually if a company was good six months ago it's extremely likely that it will still be good today.

If you haven't done so already, you might want to click on the link below my signature and scroll down to "Florida" to see what has been said here about companies in your area. If you click on the links below each review you'll be able to see the date of each post.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

aranaria@yahoo.com

Postby aranaria@yahoo.com » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:34 am

Diane,

Thank you for your reply. You are right, but is better to be safe than sorry. I have checked all the postings, concerning moving out-of-state from Florida, and its unbelievable the stuff that this companies will pull. So far I got quotes from Allied Van Lines, Bekins, Rosa del Monte, and against my advice my parents had Summit, Destiny, and Global give them estimates, unknown to them that they are not reputable. If you have any additional companies in my area that you feel are trust worthy, please advice. Thank you much.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:01 pm

Based on its many good reviews, I think Suddath (United) would do a good job for you. I assume by "Allied" and "Bekins" you mean AA Varco and Bekins of South Florida. Both of those should also be OK - again, based on reviews and comments here. I don't know much about La Rosa del Monte.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

aranaria@yahoo.com

Postby aranaria@yahoo.com » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:21 pm

Diane,

Rosa del Monte is actually the only moving company I know first hand, since this is the case, I wanted to compare them with other moving companies you and others here would recommend. However, so far they still the favorite, they are a bit different because they charge by piece, and that can get expensive, but overall it comes too about the same $$$ compared to the one's I obtained estimates from. What I can say about "La Rosa del monte" is that my family have used them for 20 years and never had a problem. That I think is worth everything, but again the money can maybe be an issue!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:29 pm

Which office of La Rosa del Monte have you dealt with and what types of moves has your family done with them? I believe they do a lot of international work, and for some reason I always thought they were fairly low cost.

aranaria@yahoo.com

Postby aranaria@yahoo.com » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:23 pm

My family have dealt with them since we first moved from Puerto Rico to New Jersey, actually 22 years ago. So we have dealt with their offices in Puerto Rico (1 International & many local moves), New Jersey (Local & Out-of-state), New York(Local) and Miami (Local & Out-of-State). My parents actually decided on them again today, they were kind, and gave my parents a fair price. They are not low cost however, they are more like in the middle. Hope I can also be of some help for others. Thanks again

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:52 pm

I'll add them to my Superlist, probably under the Miami location. Maybe part of the appeal is that they speak Spanish (?) and people feel comfortable with them because of that (?).
Diane

aranaria@yahoo.com

Postby aranaria@yahoo.com » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:16 pm

That could be true, but I feel in our case, is more the fact that we know them, and highly recommend their work. Greeting from Miami...I'll post how it went this time. 8)

Celo

Re: *Moving from Florida to Georgia....Any advice????

Postby Celo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:56 pm

My experience with La Rosa del Monte was not pleasant at all. Quite the contrary.

In 2006, I moved from Nicaragua to Puerto Rico (international) and they were the company that received my belongings in Puerto Rico.
The deal worked like this:

1) First, the Nicaraguan company packed my stuff and had them stored until I notified I was ready for delivery.

2) At that time I sent the payment I had previously agreed unpin receiving the information of the local company that would do the delivery (La Rosa del Monte). I contacted them just to check and verified that everything was ok and I sent the payment.

3) Then they shipped everything (actually they used air cargo) to Puerto Rico

4) La Rosa del Monte contacted me and told me that my belongings were in Puerto Rico. They also said that because it was an International move, they had been stopped in Customs, but no import tax was charged, as everything was (obviously) personal belongings. However, they had payed storage fee at the Customs storage and that was an extra cost that I needed to pay.

5) I can't remember the exact amount, since this happened a long ago, but I can tell you that it was ridiculous! Therefore, I asked if I could talk to somebody who can explain those costs to me and, if possible, revise the price.

6) A couple of weeks passed until I finally had the chance to talk to a sales representative. This woman told me that because I had waited so long to pay the Customs Storage bill, they had had my belongings storage in THEIR storage and that had another extra cost.

What? Yeah! The thing is that she never told me that while I was hoping to talk to somebody to get a discount (or I should say a fair price) for the Customs charge, they were going to charge me for storage fee in their facilities!!!!!!!!!!

And again, it was a ridiculous amount of money that was even higher than what I had paid the Nicaraguan company for doing the packing, loading, storage in Nicaragua until I found a new home in Puerto Rico (a couple of months), air cargo fair and insurance!!!) Unbelievable, right? But they wanted to charge me more for a couple of weeks of storage in their own facilities in Puerto Rico than what I had paid for the whole transport, so far.

7) I drove to their offices in Toa Alta (Carretera No. 2) and talked to that lady. I said that the cost of my belongings were less than what she wanted to charge me and if that was the case, I had no other choice than leave my stuff there. Finally they cut the price in half (and I bet they had a big profit from that!!!) and delivered my stuff the next... week.

8) Yes, it took them 5 days to deliver from Toa Alta to Condado, in Puerto Rico (a 30 minutes drive).

9) They told me they would be delivering between 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM. They deliver at 8:30 PM. The drivers arrived at my home and they didn't want to deliver because it was too late and they were tired. I made them do it, anyway. All my boxes were ripped off and taped. The content was barely contained inside.
Oh! and they were only 10 boxes. No furniture, no big appliances. Just personal belongings like cloths, decoration articles, books, dvds...

But to be fair, I have to say that my mother in law have used them to moved from Puerto Rico to Orlando and back, and she has no complains with them... Either she was lucky or I wasn't.

I just feel that they were dishonest and wanted to take advantage of my situation of expatriated...

I will never use them again!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Open Community”