Great American Van lines?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
scubadoo

Great American Van lines?

Postby scubadoo » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:12 pm

I just got burned by a really bad moving company based in Brooklyn, NY called Excel. I don't want it to happen again. Does anyone have experience with Great American Van lines based in Jersey City, NJ? How about Manor Moving and storage in NY, NY?

Diane

Re: Great American Van lines?

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:26 pm

Where are you moving from and to and how much stuff do you have?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:56 am

Great American has scammed people. I don't know anything about Manor aty this moment, I can look at them at lunchtime if nobody else has.

scubadoo

Postby scubadoo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:58 pm

I am just moving from one storage facility to another. I have about 1000 cf (according to Excel moving & storage, where my things are.) I want something closer to me (I'm in the Bronx) and a reputable, honest company.
Excel has been just awful, changing prices and damaging my items. I want my things where I can inspect the facilities and get to them regularly.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:09 pm

Are you planning to move into mini-storage, then? Because otherwise you wouldn't have access.

If you're just looking for a company to move you into mini-storage, All Star Moving in Brooklyn has performed extremely well for people posting here. See the Epinions article linked to below for reviews and contact information. Additional positive reviews have come in since I wrote the article - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2038 I know the owner personally.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:00 am

DO NOT USE THEM. I just finished a move using Great American on Wed and they are horrible. I recommend you do NOT use them. They'll sell you the moon and the stars on the phone and once they show up they have you over a barrel and change things around. Their hourly rate went up, I was informed afterward by my doorman that he saw them laying on my couch on the sidewalk. They were 3 1/2 hours late on the moving date and did not have enough time to finish the job the same day. They were supposed to be back the next day at 9am to finish but didn't show up until 11:15, again late. They tried to get me to pay for their parking ticket that was due to their neglience. The list goes on and I think I made my point, very unprofessional and not worth the hassle.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:19 am

This was Mirit Great American from Jersey City, NJ?

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

leventkutoglu

Postby leventkutoglu » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:28 am

I had a VERY BAD EXPERIENCE with "GREAT AMERICAN VAN LINES"

I used Great American Van Lines YESTERDAY (6/30/2008) . I moved from Stamford CT to White Plains, NY. They were supposed to arrive at 12:00 pm they came at 8:00 pm. Despite my repeated calls, they never called me back to say why the truck was late. They kept putting me on hold for minutes, after which I had to hang up. It was really frustrating.

When they did the loading, they almost forgot some of my clothes in the closet. One of the guys literally blamed me for this. And as I did not understand the language he was speaking (he said it is Spanish, but I don't believe him. I know how Spanish sounds. And I have no idea why somebody would lie about the language he speaks) I could not respond. At one point I thought it would come to a physical fight. This guy was rude all the time, as if I were to blame for everything that went wrong.

They did not have a tool set so we spent some time driving around to find a place to get a tool set. This happened at around 10:00 pm. (I must also say they deducted 30 minutes from my move time to account for that).

I had to drive to my landlord to drop of the keys. If everything went on plan, she would have come at around 2:00 pm to get the keys from me. But of course, this didn't happen, because it was already 11:00 pm when they finished loading. When I told them that I have to drive to my landlord's place to drop off the keys, they said that they will have to charge me for the additional time. Hard to believe, isn't it?

At around 12:30, when I was supposed to make the payment, they said they don't have a credit card slip. Moreover, if I want to pay by credit card they will have to charge me additional 7%. (which, of course, is not stated on the contract) They don't accept personal checks either. They want "money order". Most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

I drove around White Plains 20 minutes to find an atm (this is around 12:00 am) and withdraw cash for the payment. I don't know the city well, so it took time. I gave them cash. The bill was $160 more than original estimate. They charged me extra for the duck tapes they brought. I had many rolls of "staples' most durable duck tape" but they said it doesn't fit their needs.

This is the first time I am putting an online review on a company that I received service from.

alvino

Postby alvino » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:31 pm

They quoted me $1272 on a move, and the actual is $2500. Stay away from these people. The movers also tried to extort a 20% gratuity. I will have to contact the attorney general in whatever state they operate from. :shock:

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:41 am

What was their reason for the price jump?
Your estimate, does it say Binding or Non-Binding?

dsing

Postby dsing » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:26 am

:evil: Great American Van Lines has scammed me for over $700 dollars. They made the estimate on the basis of estimated square footage (I learned too late that this is a red flag!) When they arrived the crew was beligerant and intimidating, demanding a 20% tip and claiming that the square footage was double the estimate. We were afraid not to do as they demanded for fear they would refuse to move us or damage/"loose" our goods.
I have been persistent and threatened to make claims with the appropriate agencies. They have promised me a settlement, but so far they have only offered half. Even if they settle for the full amount, I will make the claims because they should not be allowed to continue to use such tactics.

Don't use Great American Van Lines!
Doris Sing

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:03 pm

Doris, did you move within the state or out of state?

dsing

Postby dsing » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:30 pm

out of state, from Philadelphia to Houston.
Doris Sing

NCFltMedic

Postby NCFltMedic » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:15 pm

I hired them to move a 1BR apartment. The day the driver was suppose to show up he called and said he was running late. No problem, I understand things can happen. He said he would be at my apartment in 6 hours. 24 hours later he still wasn't there and wasn't answering his phone. The company couldn't get up with him. I ended up renting a uhaul and in 5 hours loading everything/packing everything myself. Althought they refunded the money, it was a huge pain. The manager was very polite and apologized several times. I realize the situation was not his fault it was a client that went from a 10 bx move to a 5BR move. The driver however still should have called. It would have saved me several hours of fast paced loading. The staff was nice and very apologitic, but if the driver doesn't call, what kind of service would he have provided me

dsing

Postby dsing » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:10 pm

You're probably lucky they didn't come. As bad as your experience was, it could have been a lot worse with this company. And the people I talked to on the phone were very nice, also--the model of courtesy and service.

Return to “Open Community”