*NoVA to San Francisco Move - Help Appreciated

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
waters96

Re: NoVA to San Francisco Move - Help Appreciated

Postby waters96 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:07 pm

I just spoke to moovers.com. They gave a great rate, and unless something surprising happens, I'm probably going to go with them. I will keep the board updated as to my experiences. Thanks for the help.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:10 pm

You're very welcome. I'm sure you will be pleased and I look forward to your review.

waters96

Postby waters96 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:50 am

Diane wrote:Hi - it's amazing that Ambassador was so close to what is probably your actual weight. I actually don't think their quote is so high, considering that more than two years have passed since you last moved. And obviously fuel prices have gone through the roof.

If you're up for considering a company that couldn't give you an in-residence quote but would do an excellent job for you and would self-haul the shipment using its own truck and driver, I suggest that you call Moovers, Inc. at www.mooversinc.com. They have almost four dozen rave reviews here and I know the owners personally - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655 They are always looking for return loads from the East Coast to where they are located in the Bay Area, so I think they might give you a pretty good price if they happen to have a truck coming back at a time when you want to move. They could also move your car on the same van with your household goods for a very reasonable cost.

Since my last message, Moovers, Inc. gave me a quote based on the 9,500 pound Ambassador estimate, and came in at $5,269 plus a $579 fuel surcharge. They obviously know their way around the Bay Area as Jayson even was familiar with the street I live on. Thank you for that recommenation. He seemed very easy to deal with and I'm really leaning in their direction. In addition, I can place my car in their enclosed van with my load for only $200 more than the unenclosed van quote I got.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:52 am

I think you're on the right track. Moovers, Inc. can quote less because they are an independent and can operate "leaner" than a van line agent while retaining quality.

How much did Golden Key Express quote you to move your car crosscountry, out of curiosity?

Also, how did you like Ambassador's sales rep and who was it?

I am just collecting info to try to get a better picture of the industry.

waters96

Postby waters96 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:08 pm

Diane wrote:I think you're on the right track. Moovers, Inc. can quote less because they are an independent and can operate "leaner" than a van line agent while retaining quality.

How much did Golden Key Express quote you to move your car crosscountry, out of curiosity?

Also, how did you like Ambassador's sales rep and who was it?

I am just collecting info to try to get a better picture of the industry.

Golden Key quoted $1,000, which is among the lower quotes I've received, although not the lowest.

Ambassador sent Mark Brower who seemed like a straight-shooter, was fast but thorough, and offered free used boxes, which is actually a very good offer because that can really add up. The odd thing was he did the quote manually because he said Ambassador is having problems generating computer quotes given inconsistencies with state and federal DOT's. As I said, I think he was a genius on the weight. I believe he's very close. We really should try to dump a bunch of dead weight, but unfortunately, we're both have difficulty throwing away old stuff.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:45 pm

Thanks for this info. Did Ambassador promise to self-haul the shipment using its own truck and driver? (Just curious.)

Some of the people whose companies have the best reviews on this board do their quotes manually - Mr. Boush of Boush Moving (Atlas) in WA and the sales reps at University Van Lines (Atlas) in NJ. The latter told me that it's awkward to move back and forth between pages on the small computer screen to add and delete items.

waters96

Postby waters96 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:40 pm

Diane wrote:Thanks for this info. Did Ambassador promise to self-haul the shipment using its own truck and driver? (Just curious.)

Some of the people whose companies have the best reviews on this board do their quotes manually - Mr. Boush of Boush Moving (Atlas) in WA and the sales reps at University Van Lines (Atlas) in NJ. The latter told me that it's awkward to move back and forth between pages on the small computer screen to add and delete items.

No they didn't, but I forgot to ask.

waters96

Postby waters96 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:12 am

So, after all that research, it turns out my wife's new employer is paying for a full pack and move (hooray!) and has a contract with United. So we were assigned Hilldrup. The estimator is scheduled to come on Oct. 25 and the pack day is Oct. 30, with the following day being the move date. Our cars are being shipped by "Certified Auto Relocation & Services" (CARS), based in New Jersey. Has anybody heard of them?

We're very happy they've selected Hilldrup based on all the good feedback they've received, and that Hilldrup is one of the top three companies on my list. I will give a report after the move.

waters96

Postby waters96 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:29 am

One further irony. My move with Hilldrup is coming up Monday Oct. 30. Friday, I received a call from Misty at Golden Key Express telling me that they were picking up my car. As you might recall, I had planned to use them, but since our move is being paid for by the company, they were in charge of the auto transporter selection. So I told her there must be some mistake. Well, it turns out the broker the company hired selected selected Golden Key out of all the other auto transport companies. So, I ended up getting exactly who I would've picked on my own - Hilldrup and Golden Key. I will report how the move went when I get to the other end.

Thanks for the assistance from this board. I feel very comfortable about my move thanks to you, and hope for the best.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:25 am

Hey, NICE!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:20 am

It's unfortunate that your company has separate requirements for auto and hhg... Most national accounts require the auto and hhg shipped together on the same van. Hilldrup is a good agent, and their vans come equipped for decking for autos.

Either way, it looks like you'll have a safe move
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

waters 96

Postby waters 96 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:31 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:It's unfortunate that your company has separate requirements for auto and hhg... Most national accounts require the auto and hhg shipped together on the same van. Hilldrup is a good agent, and their vans come equipped for decking for autos.

Either way, it looks like you'll have a safe move

Yes, it's been hard to figure out the logic of the move from the perspective of the company. Very generous and thoughtful in some ways, very cheap and arbitrary in others. All things considered, I'm very satisfied with what we got and will be happy when it's all over.

BigLeeCalif

Re: *NoVA to San Francisco Move - Help Appreciated

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:22 pm

It's too bad that CME lost Robyn.. She used to run circles around sales people who weren't too good on follow up.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Re: *NoVA to San Francisco Move - Help Appreciated

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:31 pm

She posted a few times on MovingScam. I thought she was a great lady. But I think she left the industry.

Return to “Open Community”