Can anyone Recommend a Mover from Boston to California?!?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Dagny

Can anyone Recommend a Mover from Boston to California?!?

Postby Dagny » Mon May 19, 2003 5:44 pm

I am moving 2 rooms - maybe 2500lbs. from Boston to California. an anyone recommend a reputable, local company?

Many thanks! Please email Dagny: summerinboulder@yahoo.com

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Can anyone Recommend a Mover from Boston to California?!

Postby twalker » Tue May 20, 2003 7:14 am

Dagny,

PLEASE be careful when asking for referrals here. The rogue companies troll these message boards often and have a history of leading folks right back to themselves claiming to a consumer who has used their 'reputable company'. You should read this article on finding a reputable moving company: http://www.movingscam.com/news/findmover.shtml.

There are a lot of good moving companies out there, but the Internet is a good place to research them, not the place to find them. Follow the advice in that article and find a few movers the old-fashioned way. Then come back here and ask us what we can find out about the movers that you've chosen.

We're here to help, but not in the way that you've asked us to.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue May 20, 2003 4:05 pm

Where to in California?
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Dagny

Postby Dagny » Tue May 20, 2003 8:14 pm

Hi!

Thanks to both of you. I am moving to Palo Alto, CA.

I have scheduled 2 in-house estimates so far.

Thank you. :)

HenryB

Postby HenryB » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:21 pm

All I can say is don't use Michael's Movers under any circumstances. They lost a bunch of our stuff, broke a bunch more, dropped all our furniture off completely taken apart with no clue where any of the bolts, etc. were, and aren't returning any of our phone calls! I do hear Gentle Giant is good though. My brother used them and liked them.

Good luck!

Josh

Postby Josh » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:29 pm

Dagny,

That is why you don't get referrals from this site. I think Henry is bogus and if he really had an issue with Michael's company, he would have been a little more specific so we could research his false claim.

Tim said it great, use the internet to research companies, not to find them.

There are plenty of movers in Boston who will help you, no need to find one over the internet!

I would also go ahead and schedule at least one more in home estimate then come back here and share what you find, we will be able to help you then. Get their DOT # and also ask what tariff they use in determining the price for your move. This should alert any scammers that you are somewhat familiar with the moving world. By the way, the only tariffs that should be used for your move is the 400M and the 400N(this is the most likely)

Hope this helps.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:04 am

As someone who lived in Boston for many years, I can tell you, AVOID any of the movers based out of Allston/Brighton/Watertown. That's where the crime rings operate the moving scam portion of their illegal operations. I'm not aware of any legitimate movers based in that community (although it's not impossible).

If you hire a mover from the Allston/Brighton/Watertown area and "gypsies" show up in a rented truck, you are in deep doggie doo if you let them load your goods onto their truck. Special alert if the movers are speaking in the Israeli language: ask to see their INS documentation because there is a HUGE problem with illegal Israeli moving operations.

Dagny

Postby Dagny » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:17 pm

So, we took your advice and had 3 "in-home" estimates. Mayflower (McLaughlin), Bekins (Tobin & Sons) & Graebel (New England Movers/Graebel) ** There is another New England Movers -- NOT Graebel - that guy cancelled the appointment to come to our house morning of -- we never re-booked the estimate. ... in truth we weren't overly impressed with any of them... but we are biting the bullet and booking with Graebel.

Here are our experiences:

1) Bekins - This was our first. After we booked them we realized they had 5 Better Business complaints that we found at BBB.org -- we asked about this and the guy had no clue. He told us that eveyone has complaints. He was nice enough but we didn't feel comfortable.

2) Mayflower - The guy came to our house smelling like a burning cigarette... the walk-through was painful. We had read online that they had booked a customer and then on move day a different company showed up and we asked if he could guarantee that his company would do the pick-up -- he said NO. That was it. Why book a company and then have a random mover. He sat at our table and gave us an itemized printed out estimate.

3) Graebel - The guy came and was no nonsense. He looked under our bed and itemized everything. He wouldn't give me any idea about a quote. More than a week later we had to call the office and request our quote -- it wasn't done -- the next week we called again and got our quote. Their charges were all about the same. They told us they are charging an extra 10% to our credit card that will be refunded and also they guaranteed that the move would NOT exceed 15% more than their estimate.

They can't give us any idea about pick-up just a 3 day window -- then 4 days pass and for delivery they gave another 7 day window on the other side. Our estimate shows a 400N reference and we liked the fact that they were 1 company -- not just agents for a national that could sub any other mover. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it all goes well.

It really was the lesser of 3 evils. I would appreciate any commets and will definitely post a follow-up once the move is complete.

Please keep your fingers crossed and Thanks for this forum! :)

Dagny

HMMMM....

Postby Dagny » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:32 pm

I just read a few other posts about Graebel -- I hope they don't hire someone off the street in CA! Ugh!

Also, we are taking $20,000 insurance but they told us that is only for catastrophic loss. We are packing our own stuff and they said therefore we are only covered if a box clearly shows damage.

Also, they said GNTE was not available... they would only guarantee not more than 15% more.

BTW: our 2 rooms weighed in at 4300 lbs and they are charging us $4,000. Does all this sound right?!? Thanks! :)

Josh

Postby Josh » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:29 pm

Geez,

I am thinking about coming to Boston to work. If I competed against people like that here, I would be closing 100%!!!

Anyway, what weight did the other two companies come up with? Were the prices comparable with one another?

It sounded like Graebel did not pay much attention to detail about getting you your estimate. Is your ales rep easy to get a hold of? This will be crucial if things are going wrong, he should be there for you 24 7!

With the BBB report, 5 complaints in the past 3 years isn't always that bad. I do not know what type of revenue they do, but if they are doing 9 or 10 moves a day like us, that is a lot more exposure than a mover only doing 1 or 2 moves a day.

Your point about a different mover showing up, it was probably their alliance company. Many of the majors have formed a partnership with usually one other national company, this helps when you are booked up to go outside your company and still serve your customers.

I think you already booked with Graebel, and as stated before, I don't think you are dealing with a scam company.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:43 am

Dagny,

First, with 4300 pounds, I come up with $376627. Thats from Boston, 02101 to Palo Alto, 94301. Thats with full valuation, no packing. Your valuation for 4300 pounds should be $25,000 not $20,000, so check with them on that. You should always round up, not down. $5.00/lb times your 4300 equals 21,500, thus rounding up to 25,000.

Check to see what they use per lb in determining their value, is it $4.00/lb? What was your discount level?

So yes he is in the ball park for cost, but I would just double check with his valuation.

Good luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Dagny

Postby Dagny » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:51 am

The move has been over for months now. We had 1 minor problem that was corrected immediately and a reimbursement check was sent lickety-split. It did, however, take AGES to get a FINAL INVOICE. Our stuff was massively over-weight (under-estimated) but they only kept the extra 10% they had charged as opposed to charging us the extra 5% (to the 15% they said they were entitled to).

Overall, I would recommend them. We got all of our stuff and the staff on both ends was super friendly, generally competent and courteous, though they too were subcontracted so it was a bit of the luck of the draw.

If I had to do it again, I would do the same thing and I think that's the best recommendation you can get in this industry. One thing that was a huge help for us... number EVERY SINGLE BOX CLEARLY and create an inventory. It makes the move-in super smooth. The mover has a box in hand -- he yells "#25" - I say "master bedroom" -- next box "#37" - I yell "living room" -- smooth as silk.

Good luck everyone!

Return to “Open Community”