Local Atlanta Move / Questions / Mark the Mover

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jendoe

Re: Local Atlanta Move / Questions / Mark the Mover

Postby jendoe » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:19 pm

Got it, thanks. That all makes sense, though I'm still not sure that people around here actually do that for local moves.

Update: I called Mark the Mover back today and did get a different person. This person asked alot more questions, and was helpful in that sense, but recommended *4* men at a rate of $160/h (iirc - I think I left that piece of paper at work.)

I asked him about how long he thought this type of move would usually take, and he said at least four hours, which surprised me, since that's not the impression I'd gotten from other people.

So, I'm going with AC White. I called him back and left my information, and also asked him to fax me just a confirmation with the date, # of men, and price. We had talked about time (they have minimum of four hours) and he believed that I'd come in under that, which is my impression too (very small apartment, not alot of furniture, no real "appliances"). So, I'm feeling good about it. I think someone else from his company will be calling to set up a time and payment info (since I want to pay with a credit card rather than a check.) Also - I was surprised, they don't require any kind of deposit upfront, which was a nice bonus (based on other reviews, I had expected to have to pay half upfront.)

Anyway, I feel relief that I've finally made a decision and committed to something, and can move on with the rest of the planning.

I'll let you all know how it goes after the 28th, once the computer is back online :)

And thanks again for all of the advice, and the suggestions to contact these folks!

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:02 pm

The move with AC White is done. Sorry for the delay getting back here to report - I wanted to wait until the claim was completed before posting anything.

So, the positives first:

- Everyone I talked to on the phone was fabulous. Very professional, friendly, helpful. The evening after the move, the woman who had been coordinating and getting payment information even gave me a call to follow-up and find out how it had went.

- They came in just under the minimum time, so I didn't have to pay for any extra hours.

- They dealt with my claim very quickly, and sent me the full amount for the item that was broken.

Re: the negatives

I didn't think the actual moving guys were as careful as they could have been. For example, going up and down the apartment (outside) stairs, they loaded the handcarts with several boxes (4-5), and just pushed/pulled them over the steps. So going down, the stood at the top, held the handle of the cart, and pushed them down - so the entire cart dropped onto each step. Then coming up the stairs in the next building, they stood a step above the cart, and just pulled it against the stairs so it was yanked up step by step. It was alot of bumping and jarring (going down, it basically looked like the cart was being dropped, the height of a step, over and over.) I don't know if that's standard procedure for moves, but it seemed really harsh and not careful. I believe (going from memory) when I moved 4 years ago into that apartment, the movers actually carried the boxes up the stairs.

Stuff was accidentally dropped down the stairs. One small filing cabinet was demolished (I was reimbursed quickly, to their credit, for this). I think the guy was trying to carry too much, as he had the filing cabinet, and a bread machine (boxed), and a box with (non-breakable, thank goodness!) glasses. All piled on top of each other. The filing cabinet came completely apart. I was upstairs in the apartment when I heard the huge boom. When I went down to see what happened, they were frantically trying to put it back together :(

Another guy dropped several smaller boxes from the handcart while pulling them up the stairs. The boxes were smaller, plastic, with "lock on" lids. Because he was pulling the handcart up the stairs, there was no one standing below it to keep the load stable, so when things started to slip - he couldn't reach them - and they fell. When the box fell, the lid popped off, and some glasses broke.

I had asked the claims person about these, and they said that if I put them on the form they'd see what they could do (given I had self packed, and not purchased additional insurance, that seemed nice). I ended up not claiming them, as they were all "souvenirs" - one was something I probably wouldn't have kept much longer anyway, but one was a ceramic type glass from the Tower of London (no clue how much I paid for it, or how to get a "replacement" without going back there - and yes, I did check the internet ;-))) ) The other was a souvenir glass from a friend's wedding, so it didn't cost me anything, but (obviously) had value to me.

I don't think any of those things were *devastating* losses, and as I said, I didn't claim them because I wasn't sure how that would work, but it was not a great experience to see boxes dropping down the stairs. (The other small boxes that dropped were fine, mostly non-breakables, so no damage.)

I tried asking the guys if I should have hired a four-man team instead (for future reference on how to prevent this type of thing) but two of them, independent from each other, said no that it wouldn't have mattered, and that they would have had to send a bigger truck (because four people wouldn't fit in the truck they were using) and that would have been difficult to park in the space by this building.

Anyway, the whole thing was a bit weird. The driver was laughing hysterically early on when he started loading the truck. When I asked what was funny, he said something about loading the truck, driving to the next buliding and unloading. I'm not sure what is funny about that, I had pointed out the next building and explained that it was close, but probably not close enough to carry stuff comfortably, and that it might make more sense to load the truck, and he had agreed.

One guy also seemed to think it was funny that I asked him to wash his hands after using the bathroom (I was standing in the kitchen, right next to the bathroom, and had noticed that there were no running water from the sink sounds after he finished up.) He did when I asked him, but seemed to be joking with the others about it. Especially given that the NEXT thing he moved was my MATTRESS, I would think that it would have just been common sense.

So that was my move, for what it's worth. I'm still in post-move depression, trying to figure out how to get everything organized and put away, and looking for a new filing cabinet (the one that I lost is apparently out-of-stock at the store, and I don't know if they're going to be bringing it back.)

Thanks.

jendoe

Postby jendoe » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:04 pm

Oops, that was me above. I thought I had logged in, but it looks like it didn't take, sorry!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:53 pm

Thanks so much for this review, which I'll add to my Superlist linked to below. Someone else reported problems with workers from AC White, incidentally. I'm glad that the office people were so professional and that the move went well in general.

Hopefully someone will come on here to comment on the workers bumping the dollies up and down the steps. It doesn't sound right to me, although it's probably the way I personally would have to do it. :wink:
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

PHX Mover

Postby PHX Mover » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:49 pm

I would personally never think of using hand carts to bring boxes up and down steps. Not only is it dangerous because the boxes can easily fall off and roll down an entire flight but, it is also a bad strain on your lower back since you have to lean so low to keep the boxes upright. I have heard of a few stories where movers tried to sue the customer because they were injured at their home(the outcomes and validity of those lawsuits are unknown to me and could be tall tales). It is mush easier and faster to just carry them 2 at a time then try to dolly them 3 or 4 at a time.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:26 pm

Have you ever tried the "forearm forklift" straps? My unloaders here in NY just got a set, and tried them for the first time on my load. They used them to strap large boxes to their backs to walk up the stairs, rather than their intended use, but I was curious if they really make the heavy load easier by spreading the strain across a strong set of bones.

PHX Mover

Postby PHX Mover » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:10 pm

We use the forearm forklift for EVERYTHING heavy. They are the best invention for movers ever. We use them for pianos, big screen TV's, dressers, king sized mattresses, etc. I even saw a delivery company using them to carry appliances upstairs to an apartment. I don't like them for stairs as they put a lot of strain on the person that is going up first. We have picked up pieces up to 800lbs (as told to us by customer) with only 2 guys. Uhaul stores usually sell them for about $35 so anyone can go pick up a set easily.

Return to “Open Community”