Local Philly Move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
brendainfla

Local Philly Move

Postby brendainfla » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:09 pm

Time to move again --- you may remember me from last year when I moved from Boca to Philly and had good things to say about A-1 -- but now it's time to put my stuff in storage up here and head back to Florida for a bit.

Any suggestions? Easy move -- one bedroom apt, I'll pack, just need someone to come load it and bring it to the self storage place a few miles away. From what I can find on the board, looks like the top contenders are Action Enterprises and Clemmer?? Not really much on them, however. Hank's Moving has a flyer downstairs in our lobby but they seem to get mixed reviews. I used a local company, Mambo Movers, earlier this year to move some things from one apt to another in the same building and their guys were good but a bit expensive.

I wish more people would post about their moves after they post inquiries here so I'd know how it turned out!

Any ideas??? And while I'm at it, I've never used a public storage facility -- any comments on Public Storage at 456 N. Delaware Ave?? Thanks.

brendainfla

Re: Local Philly Move

Postby brendainfla » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:05 am

Follow up: I used Action Enterprises to handle my move on March 30, 2006. I got quotes from AE, as well as from Mambo and Hank's --- AE was the only one that quoted me a flat rate. No one came for an inspection since it was just a local move of a one bedroom apt.

Jerry, of AE, is a very personable, friendly guy and knows his stuff when it comes to moving. Did a good job and honored his flat rate quote even though we ran into a bit of a wait down at the storage facility because someone else was using the loading dock. He came with one helper and both were conscientious and careful. Based on my own personal experience, I recommend AE and give it high marks.

As an aside, the Public Storage facility down on Delaware Avenue was not a good place --- just outdoor garage-type storage with minimal protection for contents and minimal security. And not particularly well-priced though they do give a steeply discounted first month's rent (which turned out to be good for me since I signed up with Public but was so worried about the facility that I kept looking and found one I liked much much better and walked away from the $26 I had given Public). I ended up using Pier 40 Storage on Delaware Ave down by Christian --- very nice clean facility, with interior storage units that are climate controlled and security protected. The downside of Pier 40 is that it has only one loading dock so if someone else is there, your mover will either wait or will need to carry goods via foot to the elevator.

Good moving to all of you!!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:15 am

Hi again, Brenda - since you posted your inquiry in March, I've come up with a summary post on Philadelphia-area movers and I'll add your positive remarks about AE to it. Hank's does have some pretty bad comments here, and Mambo is unlicensed for interstate moves, although I love its website at www.mambomovers.com. I too wish that more people would come back to post the final outcome of their moves. I usually interpret silence as "absence of a disaster" but it would be nice to know for sure.

displaced philadelphian

Postby displaced philadelphian » Thu May 18, 2006 11:26 pm

Silence is absence of disaster, I guess. I'm only here now because I'm freaking out over a short-distance interstate move and wish I could hire Mambo again.

Based on a rave review from a friend, I used Mambo to do a local move out of my apt. in Philly to a storage facility last summer (coincidentally Pier 40 as well, which is a nice facility). The three guys were awesome. They arrived late, but called to tell me they were running late, and when they arrived they noted the correct start time, really really hustled and finished in 1:58, keeping me to only 2hrs charge.

Later in the summer I moved to Chicago. Terrified and scarred from a long-distance move a few years prior with one of the big van lines (which was paid for by corporate relo angels but still resulted in a lost heirloom piece of furniture from which I could never recover any damages because it mysteriously never made it onto the inventory list) I re-hired Mambo for the exclusivity factor. They do limited interstate moving so you need to contact them and book it early if that's what you want. However, the deal is really you're hiring 2-3 men to deal with the hassle of renting a truck (they do not use Mambo trucks for interstate moves, I think they rented a Ryder or Penske truck) and to do all the loading, driving and unloading for you. Their quote was in the middle of what the van lines quoted me, except theirs was a flat, binding quote and it included full insurance coverage, not the crappy 60 cents per pound. I maybe could have saved $500-800 using a van line if the van line was honest (ha), but with Mambo there were no scam worries, no delivery date worries, etc.; I would not be sharing a truck with any other customers: my stuff, my truck, just me. I did an estimate on my own calculating the cost of renting a U-Haul including milage, hiring two guys, paying for their hotels, and flights home and thought Mambo's quote was amazingly reasonable. Three guys showed up for the loading right on time, then two of them made the drive to Chicago. We both drove overnight, and made it to Chicago the next afternoon... and THEY BEAT ME THERE. When they called me to tell me they'd arrived at my new place in Chicago, I was still on my way to the northside to pickup the keys from the landlord and would be a least another hour so they headed to grab lunch at a nearby deli. As soon as I arrived at the new place with keys I called them, and they were at my new apartment in less than five minutes. They unloaded my stuff promptly. The entire move from Philly to Chicago took 32 hours.

Local or interstate, Mambo ROCKS. If you're in Philly I would never hire anyone else. For both the local move and interstate move, not a single thing was a broken. They're trustworthy guys and they hustle. Now that I'm moving from Chicago to western Michigan and am in mover quote hell, I wish I could re-hire them.

brendainfla

Postby brendainfla » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:01 pm

Time to go back to Philly and get my stuff out of Pier 40 and into my new rental in Bryn Mawr before the hurricane season gets wild down here in SoFla. Man, I do move a lot! Anyway, I thought I'd check the board and see if there were any new comments and just spotted Diane's post and the post about the Mambo move to Chicago.

I used Mambo to move me in Oct 2005 when I was so unhappy with an apt that I forced management to find me another apt in the same building --- Mambo was hired only to move the big stuff that I could not move myself and the apt was just two floors away. I echo the comments on them --- really great service and the guys do hustle. Also very polite and very careful although as I indicated earlier, I thought they were a wee bit pricey. (And yes, they do have a very cool website!!) At one point, I did get a quote from them to move me back to Florida --- it was pretty high but it looks to me like prices for moves have gone way up in the last year or so. (When I moved from FL to PA in 2005, it cost me about $2200 --- when I got quotes this year to move me back with pretty much exactly the same stuff, they were running around $3000-3500). In the end, I opted to store things in Philly rather than keep moving everything around --- but then I ended up spending that much to buy stuff for a little apt in SoFla, another story altogether! For the moment, I have decided to solve the moving problem by getting two places, one in PA and one in FL, and just shuttling back and forth.

For the move this month from Pier 40 in CC Philly out to Bryn Mawr, I will choose either Jerry at Action Enterprises or the Mambo crew.

And a big WOW! to Diane --- I just saw the state-by-state listing you put together --- fabulous although it must have taken a lot of work. A big thanks since it makes it soooooo much easier to find someone for a particular area.

Regards to all and many happy moves! Brenda.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:45 am

I used Nicky's moving and storage and they were great. I think that they have their own storage facility so they can move and store. Good luck. EM

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:46 am

:alert: Just a caution to people that out-of-the-blue recommendations such as the one above should be taken with a grain of salt.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

brendainfla

Postby brendainfla » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:50 pm

Greetings, I got a personal note asking that I post about my last move (7/14/06) so here goes. I used Action Enterprises again --- and this time, I was not so impressed. It wasn't a bad move, just not as good as last time --- minor breakage and the crew seemed a bit rushed. May just have been an off day.

My recommendations for Philly are Mambo and AE, probably in that order, though I thought AE was slightly less expensive.

Again, I recommend Pier 40 highly for storage --- they were terrific when we moved my stuff out. The place is very clean, climate-controlled, and has excellent security. Try to get a unit near the elevator if possible since mine was so far in the back that it added time and effort for the movers.

Good moves to everyone!

Guest2

Postby Guest2 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:45 pm

I moved approximately 3 weeks ago and used Mambo movers based on their reputation. They moved my 2 bedroom apartment from Philly to another area in Pennsylvania. The 3 guys were nice enough and worked hard. I have to admit I was disappointed that it took them 7+ hours to move me. This was an afternoon move. Apparently that morning they moved 2 households in 3.5 hours. I got them after that and lunch. I would recommend them for morning moves prior to lunch. I ended up paying over $700 dollars and they asked for a tip (which I didn't expect). I don't mean any harm but they made out very well on me alone. I didn't make a stink, but I was a bit disappointed. Besides the unexpected cost, I have a broken lamp (which I didn't charge them for BTW). I was friendly and gave them their money, but I'm not planning on using them again.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:51 pm

Hi - instead of suffering in silence, I would call the owner and tell him just what you've posted here. He may make an adjustment in the interest of customer satisfaction and heading off a so-so review. He may not know that his workers are asking for tips. It's worth a try.

Guest2

Re: *Local Philly Move

Postby Guest2 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:06 am

I don't consider myself as suffering in silence. I know other people who have used Mambo Movers and were not asked for a tip. I did not give them a tip. The lamp wasn't expensive, so I didn't make a stink. Regarding customer service for future customers, I believe if they cared they would follow up with clients after the moving experience. Right now, they have generally received A+ ratings with enough folks that my experience would be considered unusual. In this life, I choose to pick my battles. I also am fair enough to suggest to a friend to use them but ONLY as a morning mover (when they are fresh).

Diane

Re: *Local Philly Move

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:08 pm

OK, thanks for this additional comment, and I'll now add your review to the Superlist linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

helpless_shipper

Postby helpless_shipper » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:35 pm

I recently used Action Enterprizes for a local move. Jerry was fantastic. Jerry was at the old home 15 minutes before the schedule and got things started quickly.
There were more items (boxes, loose items, bags) to move than the original list of items, but Jerry and his helper guy (Matt) didnt complain at all, and quickly loaded and unloaded the items (we did the packing/unpacking ourselves). Loading and unloading took 45 minutes each and the the total move took just 3 hours.
Jerry responded to my emails before the move every day and made the process as smooth as its possible. I could negotiate the quote based on the items I originally quoted.
I recommended Jerry to one of my friends who ended up using Action Enterprize as well (after reading some bad reviews about the mover he originally thought of using).

Im happy to say that my confidence about moving has increased thanks to this local move (some of you may have come across posting on this forum about my previous move with Across USA movers that brought down my confidence about movers)

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:34 pm

Great, and thanks for this excellent review for the Superlist linked to under my name.
Diane

Return to “Open Community”