NYC to Durham, NC with storage - seeking advice

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Michael

Re: NYC to Durham, NC with storage - seeking advice

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:56 pm

Personally I dont think you have one good mover in the bunch thus far.

The reason they cannot give a BNTE is because its coming into STG. And a company charging you for pads for storage, what a joke!! And again with the free storage, another joke.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

NYCtoNC

Postby NYCtoNC » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:21 pm

Michael wrote:Personally I dont think you have one good mover in the bunch thus far.

The reason they cannot give a BNTE is because its coming into STG. And a company charging you for pads for storage, what a joke!! And again with the free storage, another joke.

Michael - I don't understand:

Both Moishe's and Dahill have now given me BNTE estimates. Dahill's includes the storage (yes, maybe they increased the price for the DCL part accordingly, I don't know, but it's still < $1000 for the whole NY+storage part and there is no additional S.I.T. clause in their estimate). The rest (~$2000) is the intersate part and that is according to weight.

Dahill has gotten very good reviews in this website and currently I have no reason to think they might be trying to scam me. If you know otherwise, or if you think I'm missing something - then PLEASE - give explicit details/links ASAP. Right now they are my prefered option...

Moishe's might be trying to squeeze me for every extra $ they can, but does that mean I shouldn't believe the total price on their more recent BNTE? If their BNTE price is lower than others, is that not good enough?

do it yourself

Postby do it yourself » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:23 am

I read your posts from start to finish.
I would'nt ship my things w/ any of the full service companies you got estimates from.
It sounds like every time you call they change the rate, also it sounds like you don't have a firm grasp on exactly what your getting and what is included and what will cost extra.
Sounds like a bad situation getting ready to happen.
If you go w/ the "free" storage quote or the one where they estimated the shuttle at $300.00 (doubtful) I would not be suprised to see you on this site after the move is complete and telling everyone about the additional fees you had to pay at time of delivery.
I could be wrong.
I think you would be better of doing it yourself. Or using a self move company where you load and unload.
If your concerned about damage to your items,don't be.
The easy way to avoid damage is proper packaging and wrapping.
Shrink wrap and "pad" everything, and I mean everything.
Crate all fragile items.
Pack and wrap everything like you expect it to be thrown out of a moving vehicle and you'll be fine.
Remember all the insurance in the world is useless if they don't pay.

NYCtoNC

Postby NYCtoNC » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:46 pm

OK. Things have changed.

We HAD decided to try and work with Dahill to get a lower BNTE quote. We decided it's worth paying up to $1000 more so not to go through the ordeal of the self-move (which is extra complicated for us as it would require apartment->storage now and then in Oct. fly back to NYC and arrange the storage->NC leg). We are running out of time and we have other considerations (inc. a small baby to take care of throughout the move proccess).

After reading what people posted in the replies here, I have become a bit too worried about Moishe's. Seems too risky to go with them. As I had said, Meyer's and 212-moving also seem WAY too risky so they are also out..

But Dahill have been consistant re. price. In answer to DIY - they have not changed anything in the quote since the beginning (but now I want them to). They SEEM dependable and I have not been able to find bad reviews about them in this web site or elsewhere. Their insistance to go by the book might cost me more (e.g. if they pack our stereo it MUST be their boxes and they charge dozens of $ per box) but I hope I'll get peace of mind in return. If anyone knows otherwise re. Dahill - please post specific details/links!

Dahill's representative (Jay Medina) was willing to work with us on bringing the price down by leaving things behind. I asked him to clarify the storage issue and it turns out that the DCL price does include the storage fee (i.e. it WOULD have been less if we didn't need the 1.5 months storage). He also said that since Durham is just below 500 miles they will use their own (smaller) truck for the interstate part, so no potential shuttle problem/additions in NC.

BUT it turns out he had made a mistake. We wanted to move out on Aug. 27th (a Sunday) and only yesterday Jay noticed (?!) it's a Sunday. And they don't work on Sundays! And that date has been on his quote for weeks! This is very annoying!

So today I'm supposed to call him back and see if we can find an earlier date AND bring the BNTE price down. I am hoping I will be able to update you with good news eventually but we'll see. I promise to update in any case...

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:38 pm

Well I hope he can do what he is saying they will do. The 27th and Sunday would have been double overtime also.

Ask him what tariff they are following? Like I said if they are following the 400 n tariff then everything should be itemized out for you line by line. Not this stuff of its included in the quote.

You want to see everything spelled out, A to Z.

What about valuation. Even though they say they will self haul it, will your shipment be delayed if they do not have anything else to put on with your goods? If it is delayed due to this fact, who is going to be responsible for the storage?

Thanks,
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:21 pm

NYCtoNC wrote:Dahill's representative (Jay Medina) was willing to work with us on bringing the price down by leaving things behind. I asked him to clarify the storage issue and it turns out that the DCL price does include the storage fee (i.e. it WOULD have been less if we didn't need the 1.5 months storage). He also said that since Durham is just below 500 miles they will use their own (smaller) truck for the interstate part, so no potential shuttle problem/additions in NC.

The owner of a Mayflower agency in Atlanta (Archie White) just posted this on the ReloRow.com website:
Archie White wrote:It varies from zone to zone, but 68% is true [as a maximum discount], and it starts next week. Sad time for the moving industry. We used to have a peak season that lasted from May 15 to Sept 15, now its June 1 to Aug 15, 6 weeks shorter, and 6 weeks less to make up for 10 months of barely squeeking by. . . .

What we run into here in Atlanta, several of the big boys, real big boys, give free valuation to COD's, and give the first month free on SIT at origin, and they STILL give the maxium discount, whatever that might happen to be. It's done with the managers approval too, which means the manager got approval from NJ and Florida beforehand. United/MF allow a self haul agent the ability to do anything they want, price wise, as long as they haul the shipment.

I think this may be what you are seeing with Dahill. You are moving after August 15th, and it's a self-haul (highly desirable from your point of view), so they can give you a month's free Storage in Transit and up to a 68% discount, PLUS (Archie says) some agents are giving free valuation. You might look into that. I don't think you're going to do any better than what Dahill is offering.

NYCtoNC

Postby NYCtoNC » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:27 pm

Jay Medina (Dahill) will only be able to tell me tomorrow if they can pick my stuff up on the 25th (see above). By the time I was able to get a hold of him on Friday he said their office closed and he didn't check before. There are now less than 2 weeks left till we move out...

But he did send me a revised quote. He removed the items we decided to leave behind and reduced the overhead he had added by a bit. The revised weight estimate is now 2800 lbs. He added the full coverage (with $250 deductable = $135). BTW, Diana - by valuation do you mean what they called the "carrier full value liability"?

He also added more details (it now says the DCL price component includes up to 3 months storage and that the delivery is a self haul). He also increased the discount on the interstate part by 2%. The total is now below $3000, which we can (barely) manage.

BUT then Jay something which upset me (in addition to the date mistake he had made) . AFTER we talked and agreed on all the details, he emailed me the quote and there wrote that to give me the extra 2% discount he is changing the quote from BNTE to a bound estimate (flat rate). He also added that "this is my final revision". These 2 things he did not mention when we talked.

I don't know if getting an extra 2% discount (just on the interstate part) is better or worse for me than the BNTE without it (opinions anyone? the 2% are <$100 difference).

But this practice of changing the agreement after it was made WITHOUT talking to me first and adding the "final revision" is in bad taste. And this adds to the mistake with the pick up date (see above). I'll wait to see what they say tomorrow but Dahill are accumulating :evil: "bad points" here...

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:54 pm

Hi again - I wouldn't be too hard on Dahill about wanting a Binding estimate. They are just trying to make sure that they get adequately compensated for making the trip. It sounds as if Jay is trying to accommodate you by providing storage and a self-haul and not charging you very much, considering (under $3000 for 2800 pounds in storage for several months, then brought to NC). Yes, that's what I meant by valuation coverage but - having read what you just posted - I wouldn't bring it up if I were you. You do need such coverage, in my opinion, since your things are going into their warehouse.

I would accept Dahill's proposal of a Binding estimate at a 2% higher discount and not penny-pinch at this point. If you go slightly over 2800 pounds the Binding estimate will protect you from additional charges. You can tell from the way people have reacted here that you are getting a pretty good deal. I just hope they can pick you up on the 25th.

NYCtoNC

Postby NYCtoNC » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:26 pm

I take it all back (i.e. :evil: -> :D )

I talked to Bruce in Dahill today (Jay's supervisor) and he sorted everything out in 2 min. He returned the quote to a BNTE without changing the discount and booked us for the 25th with a self-haul from NYC to Durham. So far so good! Now all that is left is that the move itself will go smoothly.

BTW, he also said that this year they are moving to non-peak prices as of tomorrow (see above).

I wanted to thank again all the people here that were so helpful. From reading some of the other posts I see that this "job" can sometimes be thankless, but you and this website are doing a great service to mankind in general and wretched movees in particular. And Diane - congratulations on passing the 10000 posts in this website. This is some commitment!

I promise to return and update on how the move actually went.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:21 pm

Your getting one hell of a deal if you ask me. Almost to good to be true, but we shall see. From the sounds of it your definitely getting price over substance.

The only good thing is you wont have to deal with the driver until deliver.

Best of luck and do keep us posted.
Michael

centralpark

Postby centralpark » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:48 pm

Final update (not sure why this shows as a different user name than before but I'm the same NYCtoNC guy):

After arriving in NC and finding a house, I contacted Dahill who took my new address and brought down all our stuff to us within a week. They did combine our things with other shipments in a big tractor/trailer without letting us know in advance (back in NY they said this will be a delivery with a smaller truck just for us), but since everything arrived and in good condition (haven't opened all the boxes yet but so far only few, small things broke) I think the experience of moving (and storing) with them was an extremely positive one! Our weight even ended up less than the BNTE and the price therefore was ~$200 less than the BNTE.

So another thumbs up for Dahill, and thank you all again for all the help and info!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:34 pm

You're very welcome. I've added your final report to the Dahill reviews on my Superlist linked to below. I'm glad it worked out so well for you - you really got a deal!
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”