any comments on Oz Moving and Storage in NYC?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
merem

any comments on Oz Moving and Storage in NYC?

Postby merem » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:59 pm

My husband and myself are moving a few blocks down from our apartment in Manhattan and we have chosen Oz to do the move. Thought I'd post a message and see if anyone wants to share good or bad experiences with them or make a reccomendation for NYC movers?

goldminegutted

Re: any comments on Oz Moving and Storage in NYC?

Postby goldminegutted » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:08 pm

They had their license revoked in 2003, and it was only reinstated February 7th of THIS year. They also had their insurance cancelled SEVEN times, the last one being as recent as 1/22/06. It's also been replaced 3 times in addition to that.

I'm not so sure you should go with them, considering their history. Have you signed a contract?

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:43 pm

No I have not signed anything with them. How did you know that about Oz and do you know of a better mover for Manhattan. Thank you for the info.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:56 pm

merem,

Goldmine got that information from a U.S. Department of Transportation website, www.safersys.org.

Do a search on "Oz Moving" (in quotation marks) to see what has been said here about them. If you input just Oz, nothing will come up. Here is one thread:- http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5857

On the basis of what has been posted here, I would advise you not to use Oz. I think All Star Moving in Brooklyn would be a much better choice, although they might be somewhat more expensive. See this thread for reviews and contact information - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2038

merem

Postby merem » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:49 pm

Thank you. I think we might be going with All Star.

bentpinkies

Postby bentpinkies » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:01 am

I used to live in New York City (my stuff is actually sitting in storage there right now and All Star moved it into storage for me). I used All Star three times for moves within NYC and loved them every time. I'd highly recommend them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:05 am

I bet I love All Star more than YOU do. :wink:

Thanks for this review--I'll add it to our All Star review thread. So you know Rich, Chris, and Nick? Did you know that Nick used to be an actor?

owen

Postby owen » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:55 pm

I've used Oz Moving twice for in-town moves in NYC. While they were definitely not a pro outfit, I found that they were fast, efficient, and honest (although they did tell me that they had to pack a TV in a box, which I've heard elsewhere is not the case, and then charged me for the box). Would not move with them if I could afford better, but I'd say they are pretty good for the money and didn't break a thing. They worked hourly and charged me accurately.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:23 pm

Thanks for this review, and I'll add it to my summary post linked to below. Oz does have a reputation for using "materials" liberally and charging for them, but it's far from unique in that regard.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

bbraat

Postby bbraat » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:47 pm

I cannot recommend this company (Oz). I got a “maximum cost” estimate, which I paid, and was told I’d get a refund once the move was completed. After the move, the foreman said I had to wait until they got back to determine the refund but that they’d call me.
After 2 months with no call, I called Oz who now said that they don’t give refunds. I told him that was not what I was told so I wanted some action. He told me to call a woman in Billing for an invoice who told a different story: I would have received a refund except my move took longer than was estimated. I said they only took four hours to wrap, pack, and load my furniture and that meant the travel time, estimated for 30 minutes, took 6 hours.
I wanted to see a copy of the record she was quoting. I asked for an invoice with a breakdown of the time spent. She said that it would be sent right away. I didn’t receive it so after 2 weeks I sent 3 separate written requests reiterating the problem. I asked if I was charged for the hour the foreman talked on his cell phone, meal breaks during the move, and if I saved money by the movers not picking up all the garbage left throughout me building.
After a few months of being ignored, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Oz now wanted to talk but still didn’t send the invoice. They eventually sent a cash payment to settle the case which I took because I wasn’t sure how much longer they’d be in business. By this time, their formerly beautiful, interactive, animated website had degraded into a cheap, do-it-yourself webpage.
Although Oz is a licensed contractor, they admit that they don’t make or maintain time records of their moves. Oz got the time used by looking at what the employees put on their timesheets for the day (conflict of interest). If there was no time record, the woman from billing must have been making up the numbers she quoted. Oz never answered my complaint of the foreman spending an hour on the cell phone but I guess he didn’t put that on his timesheet.

Return to “Open Community”