Should I go to the weigh station?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Should I go to the weigh station?

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:28 pm

I'm planning a move from Queens NY to Atlanta GA next month. I received 1 estimate from University VL and am expecting another from Dahill this weekend.

Should I make the trip to the weigh station once the truck is fully loaded?

I'll post again with the movers I decided to hire as well as the completion of the move. Thanks to all who contribute to this valuable site.

T

BigLeeCalif

Re: Should I go to the weigh station?

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:18 pm

I have worked with Dahill quite a few years, and they are a good agent for Mayflower.

You have the right to accompany the driver (or meet him) at the scale he selects for his weights.

The following is required on weight tickets of household goods shipments, and it is illegal to omit information, or to willfully alter a weight ticket.

[Adapted from FMCSA's HHG Guide]
U.S. DOT regulations state that a certified scale or one certified by a State authority must be used [for weighing loads]. The States have jurisdiction over the scales, U.S. DOT has jurisdiction over the weighing procedure and the information on your weight tickets. Your weight ticket must be signed by the person performing the weighing and must contain the following minimum information:

1. The complete name and location of the scale.
2. The date of each weighing.
3. Identification of the weight entries as being the TARE, GROSS and/or NET weights.
4. The company or mover identification of the vehicle, either by vehicle license plate number, or unit number as stenciled on the vehicle. There should be one license or unit number for the tractor, and one for the trailer.
5. The last name of the shipper as it appears on the bill of lading.
6. The mover's shipment registration or bill of lading number.

The original weight ticket or tickets relating to the determination of the weight of a shipment must be retained by the mover as part of the file. All freight bills presented to collect any shipment charges dependent on the weight transported must be accompanied by TRUE copies of the weight tickets.

You should get two weight tickets when you pay the mover -- the weight before, and the weight after loading your goods. These weights should be obtained WITHOUT the driver and helper on board, and WITHOUT refueling the truck inbetween weights. You have the right to observe the truck being weighed.

As a weighmaster, I hear drivers complain all day about they don't know the license number of their equipment, or the bill of lading number. Simple solution... When you bring it in, I will release the weight ticket.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:33 pm

At orgin I think it would be a waste of your time. And as for destination I would only sugest going if the weight is grossly more then the estimate and or you suspect foul play. And then you must go and see the weight before and after delivery.

Also it is very uncommon for a customer to go view the weights.
Ruges

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:14 am

I used to think that origin was a waste Ruges, but we see more and more drivers (even Van Line drivers) try to use the heavy weight for one shipper as the light weight for another. Different dates and cities, etc.

I would ask for a reweigh at destination if I thought the weight was way out of line with what was estimated.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”