*Move from California to Australia

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
louloulaw

*Move from California to Australia

Postby louloulaw » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:40 am

I have been gratified to find this website. And I have obtained two quotes for my move from California to Australia. Door to door, packing, et al. But I found that Stevens International despite multiple attempts to reach them have been completely unresponsive. I also tried Rainier with similar results. I plan to re-try Rainier. But has anyone else had similar problems? :?

ficklenomads

Re: Move from California to Australia

Postby ficklenomads » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:45 pm

Hi Louloulaw,

We, too, will be relocating to Australia soon. We are awaiting quotes from a few companies (Portland, OR to Sydney). This is sudden for us (discovered opportunity this week and moving Dec 1). Having never moved abroad, this is new for us. Care to share your quotes?

Cheers,
Rebecca

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:16 am

The following four movers are recommended here on the website for moving shipment internationally.

Whenever you move internationally you must insist on an in house estimate being done for you prior to signing any agreements to move with a company.

• Southern Winds International
Contact Michael Gilbert
at 800-570-7715 or 760-940-1760
www.swintl.com
1020 S. Santa Fe Ave. Suite #C
Vista, CA 92084

• Rainier Overseas Movers
Contact Doug Wiviott
at 800-426-9928 x220
www.rainieros.com

• Stevens International
Contact Michelle Dillon
at 800-316-1065 or 260-244-7004
www.stevensworldwide.com
155 Diplomat Drive, Suite D
Columbia City, IN 46725

• Sterling International
Contact Phil Aeschleman
at 800-989-2198 or 302-7622896
www.sterlinginternational.com

You can check these movers’ prior reviews by following this link:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3987

I also highly recommend that anyone moving internationally check out the Federal Maritime Commission’s website at, www.fmc.gov. The FMC is the Federal Agency set up to protect your rights during an international ocean freight move.

Please be sure to review this two links to better understand your rights when moving internationally. http://www.fmc.gov/bureaus/secretary/Di ... ffects.asp and http://www.fmc.gov/home/faq/index.asp?F_CATEGORY_ID=18

You must be sure that your mover has a valid FMC OTI License Number again before you sign any agreement to move with them. You can verify their number by following this link http://www2.fmc.gov/oti/oti_index2.htm If you have any trouble reading the list you can post the OTI License Number here and we can look it up for you or you can call the FMC directly at (202) 523-5843

Should you have any questions please feel free to ask.

j-rod

Postby j-rod » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:35 am

I received quotes from all four companies listed via email and over the phone. Southern winds were very good over the phone and sounded very straight up.They came in at quite expensive but was probably closer to what our final price came in at anyway. We went with Sterling International and so far so good. (Our things are enroute to Australia right now.) We were extremely nervouus after reading posts on this website and saved ourselves from going with an apparently dodgy company.
Phil at Sterling has been great and very helpful and informative. Our quote was for 200 cufeet and 1000 pounds weight. We were quoted around $2600 (Sorry not exact I don't have the exact figures with me)
The weight killed us a little as we knew it would. We went over our cu footage by 43 cufeet and our weight by about 1400 pounds!! Our final figure came to around $3591 not including insurance (has not arrived in Australia or gone through customs yet though)
The guys that came and packed our gear were extremely good (Mountain States) and were very accomodating to me when I was a complete knucklehead and left an important file in the container once it was sealed. They allowed me to get back into it once it had been closed up. Unfortunately they had already arrived at their depot so I had to drive 2 hours to get it. But they were extremely cool about it and even stayed open late for me to get it.
The interesting thing is Sterling International did NOT come and do an in house estimate. I discussed it with Phil at Sterling at length and he said it would add to the cost of the job for him so it would translate into a higher price to me. We worked out a reasonable price and clarified everthing before they came to pick up our stuff and we are pretty satisfied for where it came in. It is still cheaper than our other legitimate companies that quoted us. As I said though OUR THINGS HAVE NOT ARRIVED YET SO TAKE THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT AND USE YOUR OWN DISCRETION. Our things are scheduled to arrive in Oz on December 13th. I will follow up with comments after it arrives. Sorry that you probably already would have moved by that date.
Finally, the other interesting thing with Sterling is they did NOT take a deposit before the move. Not sure if I was nervous because of this but they followed through and came and picked up our belongings.
Hope this helps, we lost a fair amount of sleep before our move. It is bloody stressful!

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:54 am

Hi j-rod

Nice report.

I have one question what city did you move from?

Keep us up to date when your move is complete.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:04 am

j-rod wrote:Phil at Sterling has been great and very helpful and informative. Our quote was for 200 cufeet and 1000 pounds weight. We were quoted around $2600 . . .We went over our cu footage by 43 cufeet and our weight by about 1400 pounds!! Our final figure came to around $3591 not including insurance (has not arrived in Australia or gone through customs yet though). . . The interesting thing is Sterling International did NOT come and do an in house estimate. I discussed it with Phil at Sterling at length and he said it would add to the cost of the job for him so it would translate into a higher price to me. We worked out a reasonable price and clarified everthing before they came to pick up our stuff and we are pretty satisfied for where it came in. It is still cheaper than our other legitimate companies that quoted us.

Thanks so much for this report.

I confess that I'm a little puzzled by Sterling's advice against having an in-house estimate. It seems to me that it would have been better for all concerned if a survey had been done. I can't believe that it would have added that much to the cost of the move, and you might have been spared the surprise of a $1000-plus cost increase from about $2600 to about $3600 plus insurance and whatever extra charges may be tacked on. I will be interested in your final price vs. what the other reputable companies quoted.

Mountain States sounds like they went above and beyond to help you, however. I agree with "hardatwork" - tell us where you moved from so we can give them proper credit along with Sterling.

j-rod

Postby j-rod » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:12 am

We moved from Avon in the Vail Valley Colorado to 40 km outside of Melbourne, Australia. Mountain States out of Denver did our transfer from our place (2nd floor apartment, did not charge extra) to Denver, from there I am not sure how it went to LA. Sterling International have sent me the sea shipping details by after I requested them and when they knew.
We were quoted for 200 cufeet and only 1000 pounds and we knew we would go way over. I thought we only had about 2000 total but we maxed out at around 2400 lbs. There we no suprises though as Phil from Sterling International and I had talked a lot about it and he had cemented a figure per pound extra before they came to pick it up.
I will keep you all posted on how things progress. This website has been so helpful for me. I must thank every one that works on it and those that place posts here.
Cheers

Hopeful

Re: *Move from Nth Carolina to Australia

Postby Hopeful » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:22 am

Interested to know if anyone else has had any experience with Sterling International or Stevens Worldwide International. Or any other reputable company who ships to Aust.

hardatwork

Re: *Move from California to Australia

Postby hardatwork » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:44 am

Hopeful

Follow this link http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3987

it is reviews from previous vistors to this website that have come back to report on their moves. I think all four of the recommended movers here have reviews from people moving to Australia.

Good luck with the move

louloulaw

Re: *Move from California to Australia

Postby louloulaw » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:36 pm

Since I posted I have obtained three valid quotes which are quite different in price and modestly different in terms. Will let you know how it goes later when the final selection has occurred and the goods have shipped.

Return to “International Moves”