Can anyone recommend a reputable moving Co. from Va to Ind

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
BigLeeCalif

Re: Can anyone recommend a reputable moving Co. from Va to I

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:40 pm

Tyrone, I hear what you're saying.. I didn't mean necessarily that they were "big"...

And had I known about your photographic memory regarding that bbb stuff in regards to JK, I would probably have asked if it was possible that the DS report was manufactured also.

Lee

Josh

Postby Josh » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:57 pm

Tyrone,

You took it out of context. I was referring to the quote you listed and that alone was not sufficient evidence.

I spoke with the President of JK and hopefully he posts and tells you what he told me. Then maybe you will understand what happened. This was not deception at all.

Leslie, I would go visit their facility and see what kind of operation they have, I am sure you will see they are not a fly by night company.

Josh

Tina

Postby Tina » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:06 pm

Leslie, My Name is Tina and I work in marketing @ JK Moving & Storage. I spoke to you on the phone earlier today. After reading your concerns posted on the site I researched the situation and found the following. When you called in today and spoke to our receptionist she attempted to respond promptly to your request and unfortunately emailed you an out of date packet of information. Please look at the bottom right hand corner of the BBB report that was sent to you. You should see that it is clearly dated 3/12/02. When I spoke to you later in the day per your request I mailed you a corporate brochure and marketing kit on JK. That packet of information is current and accurate. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused you. If we were trying to deceive you in anyway we certainly would not have left the date of 3/12/02 on the document. JK is a quality operation family owned and operated. We welcome you to tour our facilities and meet our staff. If you have any questions or concerns after you receive the information I mailed you earlier today please do not hesitate to contact me.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:22 pm

Tina, do I understand from your post that you are still sending out outdated packets? Is "Leslie" the person who started this thread?

I'm all for being fair, so maybe the company could also respond to another thing that Arline posted about the incident on January 8, 2004 (bold added):

I'll give names of movers and reasons for their elimination in my final update. Some of it I've already posted, such as the Customer Complaint info from the Better Business Bureau report not being in the packet sent out by JK Moving (I posted that as a reply on another thread, I'm not sure whose). I didn't eliminate JK solely for that reason. I had an appointment with the estimator and I was impressed with some of the things he said, so I went to my room and got the two versions of the report and asked him about them in a very non-confrontational, hoping he could reassure me way (honest, I had thought of one plausible explanation, such as the BBB report they copied had come out before the Customer Complaint info had been added). He said about two words (I don't remember what, then went back to talking about being the first ones in Washington to do random drug testing of their drivers and all employees. Typical Washington, DC spin-away-from-the-question-and-hope-they'll=forget-it answer.

Josh

Postby Josh » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:35 pm

I PM'd Arline and hopefully she responds. I was told that the BBB report Arline received has a date of 3/12/02 on it. Yes, very outdated I agree. But the interesting thing is that the whole wording about complaints was different back then. The President read it to me and it said something like "all complaints filed have been resolved by the company".

JK told me that the literature was produced in a bulk quantity and is getting low so they are in the process of re-doing it.

Diane, if you could get Arline to fax it to you, maybe you can critique it to see if this is true.

Tina

Postby Tina » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:54 pm

Diane, With the exception of the info that was emailed today in error all of the info is current. The current report can also be obtained through the BBB website.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:20 pm

Leslie,

I don't think JK has really responded adequately to all of our concerns, but we also haven't responded to yours.

You asked whether JK's quote was about right for the amount of stuff you have and the distance you're moving. In my (unprofessional) opinion, the quote is about right. JK is known as a "blueblood" company with lucrative contracts in D.C. and as such probably will not be inexpensive.

You asked about Victory Van (MC#128153), which I believe is an Allied agent. Nobody really answered you on that one. I don't see any immediate red flags, although Tyrone has said that he knows something negative. Possibly he is confusing it with Victory Moving & Storage (MC #411974), which has bad reports on this website and has a license revocation pending. Many companies have similar names.

You could also check out the whole thread called "New member move" by Arline to see some of the companies she researched and how she came up with the company she chose. She was moving from the DC area and she chose a company in Virginia that she was pleased with.

Finally, one of our active posters here, MusicMom, lives in Alexandria and she may have some suggestions for you. She has mentioned Beltway Movers but has commented that they do only local moves. You might want to send a private message to MusicMom to ask for her thoughts.

Tina

Postby Tina » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:28 am

Leslie, I hope I have addressed all of your questions and concerns. If not feel free to call me at your convenience and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. When our estimator comes out on Monday he will provide you with a written estimate for the move. I'm confident you will find our price to be very competitive and our service 2nd to none.

Arline

Postby Arline » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:06 pm

I heard about the furor over JK Moving. I couldn't bring up the PDF file from the e-mail sent by JK, so I did a search in my computer and found the file (I thought I had downloaded it, but coudn't find it when I got the PM from Josh).

The date is, in fact March 2002. But as I said in my original posting, it wasn't so much the missing info as the fact that when I brought the issue up and showed the erroneous report to the sales rep, he completely blew it off and started talking about the company's testing programs. Another thing I didn't mention was that the General Advice Information section was missing -- it is sandwiched between the Additional Doing Business As Numbers section and the Additional Information section in the current report. Both of these might be due to the fact that JK is using a two-year-old report. But the rep blowing me off was certainly "current."

lj -- check out McCollister's based in Alexandria. Their phone numbers are 703-823-0900 and 800-336-4534. I moved from DC Miami with a stop in Savannah (dropping off about half my stuff at my sister's house) and I was pretty happy with them. Their price was not the lowest, but was one of the lowest, and I was very favorably impressed with their DOT record (I don't have their individual number handy, but if I can lay my hands on it in the next couple of days, I'll PM you). They're affiliated with United and have offices around the country, including one in Illinois (I think Chicago, from the map on the back of my rep's business card), right next to Indiana. This might be a factor for you.

I also got a good quote from Paxton Van Lines (Atlas? Allied?) in Virginia. They had a good record as well. I went with McCollister in part because they have offices in many areas of the country and I will probably be making another move in 18-24 months.

Just be sure to get at least three quotes (I won't say how many I got, but I'm a belts-and-suspenders person). This will not only help you decide based on cost, but will also give you a clearer idea of the weight of your shipment. Good luck.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:11 pm

Hey, I have lived in Alexandria my whole life, and have seen McCollister's (United) in business for as long as I can remember. They have a lot of trucks, and sometimes there are a lot parked there, and other times most are out, so I can tell they do a lot of business. I have also seen a lot of Paxton trucks driving around, so I can tell they are pretty busy, too. I'd be happy to go with you to look at each company's site, I live just up the street from McCollister's. Just PM me if you'd like some help.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:30 pm

Let's hear it for the sisterhood! Arline, thanks so much for coming back to us, and MusicMom, you are the best!

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:43 pm

Leslie,

I believe the person you want to ask for in getting a quote from McCollisters is Rochelle. I believe she helped Arline. I had the opportunity to meet Rochelle in Atlantic City at our National Conference, very nice lady.

Paxton is another good and highly recognized name in our industry. If McCollisters doesnt float your boat, look at Security another good agent, and I believe someone recnetly used them for a 25,0000 lb move across country from you area to OR.

Keep in mind these are just recommendations of companies to get quotes from. We can help you decipher all the info they give when you have all your surveys back.

Another thing I keep seeing alot of people say is they werent the cheapest. Only two companies in this industry, major wise, use a different tariff (Allied and bekins). Otherwise in order for someone to be cheaper, or like most seem to think more expensive, the most expensive has to estimate more weight and more services, while the cheaper one is estimating less weight and services. It isnt necessarily that one is cheaper then the other. If everyone quoted you for 8000 pounds, the same full packing based on weight and full valuation with a 0.00 deductible the only thing that would make the cost different is the discount applied by each carrier. So a 60% discount is better then a 58% and so on. Allied uses a Total Price Guarantee Tariff and Bekins is still utilizing the 400M which they call the 412 now I believe.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

MUSICMOM2

Jk moving

Postby MUSICMOM2 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:45 pm

DO NOT USE JK MOVING.

MusicMom

Re: Can anyone recommend a reputable moving Co. from Va to Ind

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:59 pm

Oh, Yirmihu "Jeremy" Tal of Quick Trip Movers, whyever not? Just because you're mad at me? That's hardly fair to the huge company that wouldn't bat an eye at competing with your business.

Return to “Open Community”