How Should I Approach A Cross Country with Storage Needed for 4 Months

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
neesieb2

How Should I Approach A Cross Country with Storage Needed for 4 Months

Postby neesieb2 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:25 pm

Reposted from an earlier posted with a more descriptive and accurate title ---

Hello all and thank you for the wealth of information that you have provided. This Board is amazing - particularly, the info collected by Diane! THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I was nearly ready to sign up with either Carmel Movers or Isaac's until I found this website. I hope you all can all answer a few more questions that I have not found on this great site.

I am moving from Boston to SF in a few stages. I start a new job in early January with the federal government. I am looking to move out of my home in Boston the week of 12/18 and temporarily put the majority of my stuff in storage. I will be driving out to SF right after Christmas and living in a furnished sublet for about 4 months. So, I will just drive out with whatever I need for that temporary period. Then, I will have the rest of my stuff moved into whatever apartment I find in May 2006. And, cost is a consideration bc the government does not pay for the move. However, I would rather pay a little more and have a good move experience is that is what it takes. And, although likely cheaper, I just don't have the ability / time / patience to pack up a self-store unit myself.

I live in a 2 bedroom condo - 1 of the bedrooms is not moving (my roommate is staying); I am leaving the couches; but I have a fair amount of tubs and sporting equipment and such in the basement.

I was considering whether to

1) move from my Boston home with a local move into storage in the Boston area --- local move + local storage + later interstate move

2) move from my Boston home set up as a long distance move, have Storage in Transit in the Boston area --- interstate move with SIT in Boston

3) move from my Boston home set up as a long distance move, have Storage in Transit in the SF area - interstate move with SIT in SF.

Any thoughts? I would really appreciate it.

Some movers have told me that the goods would be stored in crates, others in storage unit type places.

Also, is it normal for companies to charge you for boxes, blanket rental fees, and tape for long distance moves. That seems so petty!

As for movers, my initial quotes for move prices were from

Carmel Movers, Hyde Park, MA - 4800lbs, Binding NTE rate of $3965.75 plus storage after an in-home estimate

Isaac's Relocation Service, Brighton, MA - 4500 lbs, Non-Binding rate of $3250.52 (4700 lbs at $3372; 5200 lbs at $3607) after an in-home estimate

Gentle Giant - which I have used and loved locally, but think it is not the wisest for long distance - 6295 lbs at $8195 with NO in home estimate

Olympic Moving and Storage, Watertown, MA - 5267 lbs, Non-Binding at $7500.34 after an in-home estimate.

Big Foot Moving - New local company that friends have used for local moves and thought highly of. The President Mike Bavuso came for an in-home estimate and seemed like a real straight-shooter. However, I don't get the sense that they do too many moves like mine and have to see what their final numbers are.

BUT ---

I know I am cutting it close but after reading this board, I have estimates scheduled for tomorrow and Friday with Humboldt / United, Rainbow / N. Am. Van Lines, and Wm. Duggan / Atlas. Each has assured me it can do the move on the requested move. Wakefield / Allied was booked. I will hopefully not be horrified by the estimates to come. Given how helpful this has been to me, I will update and hopefully be of use to someone else in the future.

Diane

Re: How Should I Approach A Cross Country with Storage Needed for 4 Months

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:16 pm

Hi - all of the van line agents you mention in your last paragraph have very good reviews and comments here, so from that point of view I think you would be safe moving with any of them. They could also provide safe storage (in Boston would probably be cheaper than in CA). However, when you get into four months of storage, with some companies you are beyond the storage-in-transit limit, and when you get beyond storage in transit into permanent storage, it gets expensive.

I don't think I would do option #1 - a local move into mini-storage in Boston and then a later interstate move. You would probably have to come back to Boston to oversee the pickup from mini-storage and it could be a big pain. I would try to store the things in the warehouse of the company that was going to eventually move them to CA (providing it wasn't exorbitantly expensive). You want to have the minimum number of separate moves taking place to minimize the possibility of damage.

Companies like Gentle Giant, Big Foot, and Olympic are very good locally around Boston but I agree with you--I personally would not use them for a move of your distance, especially when you need storage. You want a company that does cross-country moves frequently, not once in a blue moon.

Another idea would be to call Moovers, Inc. at www.mooversinc.com on the chance that they might have a truck going back toward San Francisco when you want to move. They could store your things in mini-storage in the Bay Area at much less cost than a van line agent would charge for storage in its warehouse. Then they could deliver them to you when you're ready.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:58 pm

There are options to storage-in-transit, which can be expensive if you have a substantial shipment.

If you or some friends can load a truck and move your things to a public storage unit at a cost of whatever you pay them to do the work, you do have an option of having your shipment set up to load FROM the mini storage unit to your destination in California.

The van line will only charge you a small loading from mini storage fee, and then a straight shot to your destination address. However, make sure that the one selected can accomodate a tractor-trailer unit, which can be 80 ft long. This knowledge could save you shuttle charges.

As far as storage-in-transit, if you do select that option, check with the van line. I know that Mayflower and United have changed their policy, per tariff change, to allow 180 days (6 months) for storage-in-transit. Storage in transit should always be used at origin, because destination agents won't allow the same discounts the origin/booker will.

Diane is right. Storage of any kind (including mini storage) is expensive in California.

Whichever kind of storage you select, go out and inspect the facility. We're getting into the rainy/snowy season, so you don't want to be in a facility with faulty roofing, and discover when you remove your goods that it's all mildewed and moldy.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:46 am

The other aspect is continuity. If you use a major carrier from start to finish, there is a "paper trail" of responsibility. For example, Humbolt M&S (United) picks up your goods and stores until necessary. You are there when Humbolt picks the goods up and sign off on their inventory as to the items and their condition. When a United truck goes into Humbolt to load your shipment that driver will make sure he gets everything and takes exception for missing or damaged items he receives. Let's say your goods get to SF and requires a shuttle so the highway driver sets the shipment off at Chipman. They in turn check off and take exceptions against the driver. When you receive your goods are delivered (finally) and something is damaged or missing, the system has a record of where that happened.
The other consideration is that it might be cheaper to store in SF because if a shuttle is required (site not accessable to the highway unit) it won't matter since the shipment will be delivered out on a local truck anyway. You are also talking March/April delivery. Your goods will be in SF instead of waiting on them arriving from Boston and you will be able to have a specific day delivery as opposed to a delivery spread.
Diane's suggestion about Moovers would work but I always have problems with mini-storage as far as liability. What happens if the storage unit is broken into, what happens if there is a flood or fire? Will Moovers accept responsibility since your goods are technically still in their care and control? This is something you have to address.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:31 am

Long time no see, Fred! Welcome back!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:37 am

I agree with you Fred, except storage/delivery from SIT in SF Bay Area is not inexpensive. If it were me, and knowing that, I'd probably put into perm storage, and have it delivered out hourly. The other problem is there are only a couple of movers in san francisco proper, and they don't have large warehouse capability.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

neesieb

Postby neesieb » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:30 am

Thank you all so much - this is very helpful. I met with United / HUmboldt this am and have the remaining appts. scheduled tomorrow. Once I get some numbers from them, I will keep you posted.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:07 pm

Still going crazy up here, but will pop in when I can or if I can be of help to someone. I am working on 2 projects with the van lines, re-doing my training program, going to finish of the company web site this coming week and I am actually going to write a how to e-book for the DITY mover. Oh yeh, I have to put up the Christmas decorations this weekend.

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:09 pm

two things to ponder...while stg in calif is not cheap, boston is no bargain either...most importantly you say you want to move into your place in may which is the start of the season and after what looks to be a very slow winter, spring will be busy.when you finalize a date to move in and then call whoever has your stuff 2900 miles away to deliver it dont be suprised to find your date is not avail...store it as close to where its going as possible...it makes for less headaches at delivery time...not to mention that we are seeing shipment declines of 15 to 20 % over last year and ive heard of discounts hitting 70% in the boston market..and drivers sitting all over waiting for loads so chances are your will get a cheaper move sending it now....

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:07 am

East Coat mover, if the shipment is going to California at 70%, I would suggest it go to mini storage, because no agent in California will accept a 70% discount for SIT.

neesieb

Update on Cross-Country Move from Boston to SF / Thanks for your input!!

Postby neesieb » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:08 pm

Hello all -

Thanks for your wonderful suggestions and input. Although I haven't completely solidified the hows and whens of the move, I have chosen a mover and wanted to give an update in the event it can help someone else.

I choose to go with Rainbow / North American after meeting with the large van lines and reviewing the local quotes. My decision was partly based on price and a GNTE estimate and partly based on comfort level with the representation / reviews on this board.

I am still mulling over the storage piece - SIT vs. local storage in SF but am leaning towards the SIT in Boston. Although it IS NOT CHEAP - the piece of mind may be worth the several hundred dollars. Still figuring that piece out!!

After meeting with the local movers - Gentle Giant, Big Foot, Carmel, Isaac's, Olympic (see prices and specs in an earlier post), I met with the following with the noted results:

Rainbow / North Am Van Lines (Jim McEnaney).

Very professional, pleasant, informative, answered my trillion questions politely, and actually early for the meeting (I was still in the shower!). Gave me a GNTE for 4630 lbs at 4076.22 (64 % discount) // 5240 lbs at 4519.02 (I am deciding whether to take a dining room set out with me which accounts for the variance in weight) plus insurance and packing materials costs and then agreed to discount the SIT at 68%. His est. weight was on the low side of the estimates I received so I liked the fact that he was willing to give a GNTE. And, I didn't need to pay up front.

Big Foot Movers - Contract out with Rainier Overseas.

Gave an estimate for 5,000 lbs at $5150 pls a large insurance cost. Told me that Rainer didn't operate on the 400n tariff bc it wasn't a van line. Although the cost would have been close to Rainbow and I liked the guys I dealt with alot, I was nervous about using a local co that doesn't seem to have the track record of the major van lines. Also, the lack of the tariff made me nervous - not sure why though!

Wm. Duggan / Atlas

5000 lb estimate at 64% discount plus SIT. Great service on the phone but I felt like the young pup sales rep was a little too slick and itching to get out of my house. Also, I didn't like the fact that he said my home required a shuttle when I moved in there without one and every other company said I didn't need one. Also, wouldn't do a GNTE estimate.

Humboldt / United

6200 lb estimate at $8871.68 plus SIT. Met with Bill McRae. He was great - informative, polite, all that I could ask for. Only reason that I chose Rainbow is the GNTE at the lower weight.

Isaac's Relocation - Would be cheaper but lost comfort after reading this board.

Carmel Movers - same as Isaac's - and when I questioned them about the postings on this board. He got a bit defensive and tried to pull some funny numbers / acronoyms on me. That stopped when I reminded him that I was a prosecutor familiar with consumer protection laws.

Will keep you all posted on the results. Keep your fingers crossed.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:21 pm

I would suggest (and not just for this company but any GNTE move) that you get a copy of the cube sheet. That is how he produced his estimate. This way you can make sure that he did not "forget" something. It is easy to do if there are things that might or might not be going. Having additional items on load date on the inventory but not on the cube sheet could negate the GNTE. eg driver shows up and you have 3 sets of office furniture in the garage that are not on the cube sheet. The sales person will say that it was not there when the estimate was performed, the shipper says it was, but the law will accept what is on paper.
Most cube sheets now are electronic and on a room by room basis, very easy to understand. If the guy is legit, he will not have any problem with your request.

I must say that the lomghaul discount level is reasonable for the time of year for all parties and the SIT is high but again storage is slow also this time of year and some revenue is better than none.

neesieb2

Postby neesieb2 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:45 pm

THanks Fred - I did check with the inventory listing and it seems accurate - of course, one always has to guestimate the number of boxes but I think it should be ok.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:11 pm

Cartons are usually not an issue unless it is an ridiculous difference (a whole bunch of small boxes with books or tools). There is a great discrepancy between the UVL and NAVL. for the 600 lb difference, the price is almost double... seems weird since both use the same rate system.

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:34 pm

just a thought as to the difference of price...check the rainbow est and im pretty sure the sit charges are not on there.....on a shipment that size the sit is almost as much as the cost of moving....as far as the weight diff and worrying about a problem with the driver,ive known jim for 20 years and he is one of the most honest people i know and knows his stuff...you will have no problem with rainbow...

Return to “Open Community”