Sterling Van Lines out of CA?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Lee123

Sterling Van Lines out of CA?

Postby Lee123 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I am about to relocate from Miami to New Jersey. I wondered if anyone has ever heard of a moving company called Sterling Van Lines out of California? I saw a company with the same name on the Black List and it mentioned that it wasn't the same one out of CA. Although, that doesn't mean they're a great company either. My move is pretty small. All I have are boxes and storage bins, no furniture or any huge items. Can anyone also recommend a company that takes care of small moves? I'm noticing that many of the Florida companies are pretty bad, so I'm concerned.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Lee

Diane

Re: Sterling Van Lines out of CA?

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:02 pm

Hi - click on the link below my name and scroll down to "California (Los Angeles)" to see what has been said about them here. If you were moving from CA I would be more enthusiastic about them, but I think they might have trouble showing up in FL when you want them to. They specialize in shipments going from or to CA.

You would be a good candidate for an ABF ReloCube if all you have is boxes. There are dozens of mostly rave reviews on our ABF U-Pack sticky at the top of the messageboard - also photos of ReloCubes. This would be an inexpensive, reliable option.

If you decide that you want a full-service mover, come back and post and we'll try to help you further.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Lee123

Postby Lee123 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:44 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Diane. I was actually checking out the state by state list looking for some companies in Florida and there seems to be a good few including Suddath. I saw the Sterling reviews and they seem to be better with in-state moves along with moves going to CA. I will check out U-Pack as well and ReloCube and see what they can do. I think I still want to go with a full-service mover but it won't hurt to check out other alternatives. I'm only concerned that many full-service movers might not take my move because it's small. I'll post back with info I get from U-Pack and Relocube.

Thanks for your help!

Lee

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:04 am

Hi - moving companies will take your move but you will run into a minimum number of pounds that you have to pay for. However, at this time of year it may be as little as 1000 pounds, which you probably have.

Actually many NJ-NY companies would probably be happy to have loads going back to the NYC area from FL. Here are some that have good reviews here - I think it would be worth giving them a call on the chance that they may have a truck coming back at a time that would fit with your needs:
--University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway, NJ.
Many rave reviews. Phone number is 908-276-2070.

--Contemporary Moving Systems (independent) in Mt. Vernon, NY.
This company with MC #406875 has the website http://www.contemporarymoving.com/pages ... /index.htm and the phone number 914-663-9134. Judging from the website, it seems to specialize in moves between NYC and FL.
"garyks" gave CMS (including the driver, John, and the dispatcher, Frank) a rave review for a move from Miami to NYC - he stumbled onto the company in Miami and got in on one of its return trips north:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9569 (interstate)

--V. Santini (Atlas) in Mt. Vernon and the Bronx.
This company told the following poster that it gives only Nonbinding estimates, but then ultimately gave a Binding Not to Exceed.
"DM1539" gave this company a very good review for a move from New Rochelle to FL in 2004--the same crew that picked up the shipment also delivered it. Also, the poster says friends had a successful move to AZ with the company in 2002:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 4422#54422 (interstate)
"amyS" gave V. Santini an excellent review for a move from Westchester to FL in June 2006 - as above, the truck and driver that picked up the shipment also delivered it. Her 11,000+-pound shipment was the only one on the truck:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 6195#66195 (interstate)
"mtbwustl" posted a rave review of V. Santini for a move to San Diego with Atlas Van Lines drivers -"Joe from the Westchester NY office was our sales rep. After we signed on w/ the company, we worked w/ Louis and Jennifer for the moving details. Emmitt and his team of guys, who we all loving called "Zoom, Zoom and Zoom" for their speed, were our pick up team in NYC. Marshall and Mary were our drivers. All of them were delightful, friendly and great.":
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9412 (interstate)

--Maher Van Lines (independent) in Islip, NY (Long Island).
This company has the phone 631-968-5088 and the website www.mahervanlines.com. As of 8/06 it had no BBB complaints over the past 36 months. Recommended by "Glad to Help" (industry person) for shipments from NY to FL because it runs straight trucks, as well as tractor-trailers, to FL, so that you avoid a shuttle in NYC. He added that it has very high quality drivers:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 9521#69521
"movingmymom" posted a rave review of Maher for moving her mother's things to Georgia, praising especially the sales rep Pat and the driver Danny - delivery was in three days:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10386 (interstate)

Lee123

Postby Lee123 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:26 pm

Hi Diane,

Thanks, this is fantastic information. I will put in these calls, and I will continue to post here with info and of course info on how the move goes.

I checked with U-Pack and they are quoting me for door-to door service approximately $1650.00 which I thought was alot for such a small move. The relocubes are a great idea though. I'm going to also call Broadway express and see what they say.

I also checked in with a Realtor to get some info on movers in the Miami area that might be reputable. She said she will get back to me with names and numbers.

Thanks again!

Lee

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:32 pm

Lee123, how much stuff do you have?

You'd think that companies would be lining up to take a booking from FL up to NJ this time of year?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:10 pm

Lee,

If you decide to go with a ReloCube, you can sometimes negotiate the price downward with ABF. They give discounts if people mention that they are in AAA, AARP, or the military, and they will partway match other companies' quotes at times. There will also be a $50-off coupon in the USPS change-of-address packet starting in January 2007.

I assume you considered just mailing your boxes to yourself. That could be an inexpensive solution too if the boxes are small enough.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:28 pm

Hi everyone,

Farrah7031: I have about 25 storage containers and boxes. Weighing in from 1100lbs to 1200lbs. Actually of the companies I called so far, no one had a problem with the date. I'll post back with who we decide to go with....

Diane: Thanks for the list of northeast companies. I also heard back from the Realtor who suggested two companies, one of them was Suddath, which has a good review here and she said they use them all the time (it's Keyes Realty). I called but they said my move was too small and suggested U-Pack and a company called Shipsmart. With such a crazy schedule, it's tough to get a minute to make these phone calls!

We did consider shipping everything (which might be the cheapest way to go) and my husband is taking care of getting quotes on that end. We also called Penske which has top reviews here and they quoted us $731 along with the flat bed to tow our car. They provide free unlimited miles. And they have great discounts as well with Triple A. I thought the price was reasonable and even with gas, the whole move would probably stay under $1100. I would love to drive back up and of course, that's probably the better choice of all. Anyway, I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

Lee

Lee123

Postby Lee123 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:53 pm

Happy Holidays everyone!

Hope you all had a wonderful and safe holiday.

Just wanted to keep everyone posted on the move from Miami to Jersey.
Contemporary Moving Services (based out on Long Island) quoted me an estimate $1154.74 for a minimum of 1000lbs ($50 for every additional 100lbs). I have about 1050lbs and I thought the price was reasonable. They can have my stuff in Jersey in 5 days and they will store our goods for free for 30 days if need be. I spoke with Eddie who was very professional and encouraged questions, and told me if I had anything else to ask to please feel free to call even during Xmas. Anyway, I got outrageous quotes from other companies so I as soon as I get my notes together I will list them here. I also called University Van Lines but they use tracker trailers and will need a shuttle from my apartment here in Miami to their truck and that's about $200 extra. A self hauler will be better.

I'm going to call Maher Van Lines today and get one more quote. I'm hoping to book someone this week.

Thanks again for all the wonderful help. You guys rock!

Lee

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:23 pm

I'm glad our information was helpful. I checked into CMS a little more and it looks fine on www.safersys.org and has no BBB complaints over the past 36 months. The owner/president is Frank Maro. The testimonials on the website at www.contemporarymoving.com are kind of touching with the first person explaining why his final payment is late. It seems as if the owner has a heart.

Return to “Open Community”