Dolan Moving - Brookfield, CT (Bekins)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
suznhenz

Dolan Moving - Brookfield, CT (Bekins)

Postby suznhenz » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:43 pm

Does anyone have any experience with this company. We are looking to move in a little less than a month to Florida from CT, and they have given us an estimate of $.40 a pound for everything. They estimate about 7000 pounds, but say that it would be higher or lower based on the actual weight. The other bids we have gotten were quite a bit more than that per pound.

MusicMom

Re: Dolan Moving - Brookfield, CT (Bekins)

Postby MusicMom » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:28 pm

Really? 40 cents per pound? That's REALLY low. I am really surprised. My own scam broker listed 60 cents per pound, which later jumped to 80. Usually, it's about a dollar per pound in the end. In general, any quotes that are quite a bit lower than others should be dumped.

Dolan Moving has an Unsatisfactory rating with the BBB for unresolved complaints.

It's been noted that Bekins is not the best-rated major van line, and that several of its agents flirt with crossing the line into the "undesirable" category.

What other companies have you spoken with, and what are they estimating?
Last edited by MusicMom on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diane

Re: *Dolan Moving - Brookfield, CT (Bekins)

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:50 pm

If Dolan really quoted you a price per pound rather than a total price, that is unacceptable. I note that it also has coupons on its website at www.dolanmoving.com - a red flag.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

suznhenz

Postby suznhenz » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:14 pm

Yes, the quote just states the date and addresses of the move and 40 cents a pound. I decided to go with Joyce Moving out of Oxford, CT. Their price was higher than Dolan, but a lot better than the movers who are associated with the big name companies. I'll let you know how the move goes when we get to Florida.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:31 pm

Great.

nancybak

Postby nancybak » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:33 pm

We moved with Dolan Moving from Ridgefield CT to South Carolina about 5 months ago. We were very happy with the entire move. The men were very clean and friendly, we had very little damage ( a dented lamp shade and a small chip on the side of our coffee table). They delivered our shipment on time and I would highly recommend them!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:14 pm

Unfortunately, "nancybak" (who just came out of the blue to describe her successful move to South Carolina with Dolan) is posting from Maine. Also, I am modifying my post to note that someone posting from the same IP address as "nancybak" made a comment showing insider knowledge of the industry - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7831#77831 In view of this, I think it is very possible that "nancybak" was not actually moved by Dolan Moving of CT.

There are two complaints about Dolan posted on the Internet:

www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff50157.htm
www.complaints.com/directory/2005/october/11/4.htm

The first one alleges overcharging on a 2003 move to FL (which could have been partly Bekins' fault) and the second describes poor communication with Dolan's sales rep and office staff during the estimate phase in 2005.
Last edited by Diane on Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dolan Moving

Postby Dolan Moving » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:56 pm

I don't know who operates this board, but I bet you're sponsored by a mover or movers and are out to ruin the reputation of other movers.

Interstate movers are governed by their tariff, if you bothered to check our tariff (the same tariff almost every mover uses) you'd find that we do offer shipments to Florida at an average of 40 to 50 cents per pound.

According to the 412 tariff 7000 pounds moving 1023 miles (from Fairfield county, the highest rate in CT) including the line haul, the additional trans charge, and the insurance related surcharge is 8817.00. We offer a discount of 67% (most movers are currently offering this and more...call them and see) the total cost is $2910, divide by 7000 pounds and the cost is 41 cents per pound.

Many customers find it less confusing and perfer the per pound quote.
We have been in business since 1991, have an excellent reputation and only 1 (one) currently unresolved complaint with the BBB. The few complaints that we've had have always been quickly addressed and settled to the customers satisfaction.

We will be more than happy to provide anyone with a quote based on our tariff, to get a per pound price, you simply would divide the quote by the number of pounds to be shipped.

And as a special note to "suznhenz", I hope your move went well, and I am sorry you got such poor feedback from this site.

Anyone reading this should note that Diane and MusicMom have written over 21,000 post on this board....and Tim Walker the originator of the board has only written 3100! Go to movingscamscam.com to see why this board is a scam and should not be trusted. DO NOT rely on the information posted here , research movers on legitimate government sites such as www.protectyourmove.gov and moving.org

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:07 pm

Dolan, $0.40 per pound is a BS price and for you to be quoting that price to anyone earns you the AVOID you so richly deserve. By your own admission, the price you quoted is ONLY for the transportation - you didn't even bother quoting for packing, materials, loading, and unloading the 7000# shipment. The customer would have been really pissed off when they found out none of the other work expected to be performed was included in the quote. By the time the move is done, the move isn't $0.40/lb; it's more like $0.90 to $1.10 per pound, depending on accessorials and additional services.

The fact is that all Bekins agents don't use the commonly accepted and widely used 400N tariff for interstate moves - this is the tariff MOST reputable agents use. Don't come here and pretend Bekins uses a tariff used for most interstate moves - only in the narrow world of Bekins is this the case.

As Music Mom stated, some of our blacklisted movers quoted $0.60 per pound before they jacked up pricing on an unsuspected customer. For you to quote less than that to a customer should put you one step closer to placement on the blacklist, and by your own admission no less! Do yourself a favor, when a customer wants a quote for everything - give them a quote for everything...... and make the quote binding so when you screw up, it's on you and not the customer's responsibility to bail you out.

PS - this site is not sponsored by any moving company; the information as to who operates the site is quite clear for all to see. The site is out to make sure the consumer avoids scam companies that issue BS quotes like $0.40 per pound for a full service interstate move. Since you seem to fit that category... you should be avoided.

Dolan Moving in Brookfield CT should be avoided based on information they provided to this site. We appreciate your input.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Dolan moving

Postby Dolan moving » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:25 am

The sample quote is a move from CT to FL for 7000, to load, transport and unload.
The 41 cents per pound quoted DOES include loading and unloading.
Is it your goal to try and get people to pay .90 to 1.10 per pound for their move?

To the consumer:
Research movers on legitimate government sites such as www.protectyourmove.gov and www.moving.org

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:51 am

I'm so sorry we dissappoint you.

Dolan Moving and Storage
81 Commerce Drive
Brookfield, CT 06840
Fax: (203) 740-2382
www.dolanmoving.com

The BBB reports on members and non-members. If a company is a member of the BBB, it is stated in this report.

Original Business Start Date: January 1979
Principal: Ms. Kathleen Dolan, Owner
Customer Contact: Ms. Kathleen Dolan, Owner
TOB Classification: Moving & Storage
BBB Membership: This company is not a member.

The Bureau has requested basic information from this company but has not received a response. As a result, the Bureau may not have current information about the company

Nature Of Business

This company offers moving and storage services.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record (BBB Definition: unsatisfactory record - A company has an "unsatisfactory business performance record" with the Bureau is based on the experiences reflected in BBB files. This file condition results when the company has failed to resolve or respond to complaints, repeatedly failed to respond or resolve issues in a timely manner, failed to resolve the underlying issues for a pattern of complaints, failed to honor their commitment to mediate or arbitrate disputes or honor mediated agreements or arbitrated decisions, failed to substantiate, modify or discontinue false advertising claims that are challenged by the BBB, or failed to discontinue unauthorized use of the BBB name and logo, a Federally protected trademark) with the Bureau due to one or more unresolved complaint(s).

Anyone reading this should note that Diane and MusicMom have written over 21,000 post on this board....and Tim Walker the originator of the board has only written 3100! Go to movingscamscam.com to see why this board is a scam and should not be trusted. DO NOT rely on the information posted here , research movers on legitimate government sites such as www.protectyourmove.gov and moving.org

Diane and I are proud of our diligence. I agree on your last sentence, but everything up until it just sounds like another desperate, descredited mover trying to deflect the blame. Nothing we haven't heard before.

Oh, and for the record, ProtectYourMove does not have a record of your company.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:26 pm

"MovingScam.com is a for-profit venture, and the site has alliances with some moving companies..."

- Tim Walker of Des Moines, who established MovingScam.com as quoted in an interview with the Chicago Tribune

Please post to the consumers reading this which movers you have alliances with.

DO NOT rely on the information posted on this board , research movers on legitimate government sites such as www.protectyourmove.gov and www.moving.org

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:35 pm

Please post to the consumers reading this which movers you have alliances with.

Currently we accept referral fees from the freight companies ABF U-Pack and Broadway Express, the independent full-service mover Moovers, Inc. in Benicia, CA, the four international movers listed on the International Moves sticky, and the two auto transporters listed on page 31 of the Auto Transporters thread. We have always been up-front about this and it is posted in several places on the website. We do not have written agreements with any of these companies because we do not do business with any company that we don't trust completely.

I think it is possible that Dolan is not shady but just quotes customers (unwisely) in price per pound, which made our alarms go off because it is what the scammers do. Dolan's failure to communicate with the BBB about a complaint, resulting in an "unsatisfactory" listing, is another red flag. How does the company explain that? Let's try to get to the bottom of things here.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:59 pm

Oh, god, you're jumping on the bandwagon of MovingScamScam? Did you read the rest of the thread in which that article was "amazingly uncovered"? It's a category based on taxes, that's it. You're either non-profit, or you're for profit. No big whoop.

you think you are helping Dolan's reputation? Are you Kathleen Dolan, and if not, does she know what you're up to?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:37 pm

Kathleen Dolan is the one who has been posting the messages. I am currently exchanging PMs with her in an effort to clarify some of these issues. I think that Dolan Moving (legal name Dolan Transport, Inc.) is probably not mentioned on protectyourmove.gov because it uses Bekins' authority for interstate moves. I don't see anything flagrantly wrong with the company. It has been quoting by the pound probably to be competitive with quotes from disreputable companies. I advised her to be careful to say that they are quoting a total price for a total estimated weight and that is the official quote. This "quoting a price per pound" is just for the convenience of the customers so they don't have to do the math themselves. Also, if $1 a pound is a ballpark estimate for what it costs to move goods crosscountry, 40 cents a pound isn't too unreasonably low for a shipment from CT to FL, depending on the size of the shipment. . . . More later.

Return to “Open Community”