new york to london

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
grlygrl7878

new york to london

Postby grlygrl7878 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:56 pm

Hi-
I am moving from New York to London in Late January and am interviewing shippers. Has anyone on this forum had a particularly good experience with a NY based mover? Omega seemed good (they dont outsource) and am meeting with morgan manhattan. Any feedback? the 4 movers listed on the sticky arent NY based and they are just going to outsource to freight forwarders so I am not thrilled about any of them. I prefer someone local i think. Rainer is sending their forwarder to give me an estimate, how do i know the forwarder is trustworthy?
Any advice is very welcome

farrah7031

Re: new york to london

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:01 pm

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:40 pm

Hi - I predict that Morgan Manhattan (United) is going to be expensive, and I don't think that it will perform any better than one of the four companies endorsed by this website. In international shipping it doesn't matter where the booking company is located. The good ones all have trustworthy people to do the inventory and packing and freight forwarding in various parts of the U.S., including the NY metro area. That line about not outsourcing sounds like something that a dubious company would say. You might feel better about Rainier, etc. if you read through the reviews on the sticky.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3987

hardatwork

Re: new York to London

Postby hardatwork » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:44 pm

Keep in mind that everyone on an international move is going to subcontract parts or all of the job out to someone. It will not matter which way you approach your move you are going to have an origin agent, shipping lines, destination agent, and a freight forwarder involved in your shipment.

Morgan Manhattan is only going to do the packing and loading of the shipment.

They do not have ships to transport it overseas.

They do not have an office at destination to clear customs and deliver the goods to your new residence.

In looking at the FMC License Lists I cannot see the Morgan Manhattan is a licensed international freight forwarder. You can check with them to see what their FMC License Number to verify it. If they do not have a FMC License it means they will turn over the shipment to the International Department of United Van Lines for the forwarding of the shipment.

The freight forwarders list here all have agents in New York that will handle the packing and loading on their behalf. They will then arrange to have the shipment transport by a shipping lines to final destination. At destination they will have their agent arrange the customs clearance and delivery to you. These four companies do international shipment every single day. They are all fully licensed to deal directly with you on your international move.

In the case of Rainer they would be sending out their local origin agent and Rainer is the freight forwarder in this case.

Good luck with the move.

grlygrl7878

Postby grlygrl7878 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:34 pm

I understand that this list on the sticky is good, but is there some sort of payment by these companies to this website or something... i dont know it just seems odd there are only 4 really reputable companies for international moving...

grlygrl7878

Postby grlygrl7878 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:38 pm

One other thing. What would you consider to be the most neccesary questions to ask a mover? What things are essential to look for when booking someone to ship all your possessions across an ocean.. lol..
this whole process is really stressful bc i have read SO many horror stories and i just dont want to become one of them

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:46 pm

This might be a good reference for you. The FMC Federal Maritime Commision overseas all international movers:
http://www.fmc.gov/home/faq/index.asp?F_CATEGORY_ID=18

That's a link to their FAQ

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:00 pm

grlygrl7878 wrote:I understand that this list on the sticky is good, but is there some sort of payment by these companies to this website or something... i dont know it just seems odd there are only 4 really reputable companies for international moving...

Yes, MovingScam.com receives small referral fees from the four companies listed on the sticky. This is stated in several places on this website. We have never said that these are the only reputable companies in international moving. They are simply four companies that we know to be properly licensed and highly regarded in international moving circles.

We have had to start somewhere in trying to guide customers to reputable companies. I myself actually created the initial list a few years ago - although I know nothing about international moving, I kept reading good comments about Rainier and Stevens. Sterling and Southern Winds were added later on the advice of a couple of respected volunteers on this messageboard.

It is very probable that there are other good companies out there, but since we all have limited time to investigate, we thought it was safer to stick with endorsing a few that we know to be tried and true. That way, we can sleep well at night. :)

Van line agents like Morgan Manhattan are not going to scam you, but as "hardatwork" indicated for Morgan, most of them will simply hand the move over to their international division. Because they handle many corporate moves paid for by employers, prices are driven up and in addition there are many add-on fees as each level of the (considerable) van line bureaucracy adds on its percentage. If price is no object, van line agents are perfectly respectable as initial points of contact for international moves.

grlygrl7878

Postby grlygrl7878 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:14 pm

I feel a lot better about the move now. I read all the articles etc and spoke to both stevens and rainer- stevens uses morgan manhattan as their agent and rainer uses mayflower (omega ny). So i am in the right directon and am seeing both companies on tuesday.

One question where the FMC search page that you can use to check a companies registration?

Thanks

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:16 pm

grlygrl7878

Postby grlygrl7878 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:31 pm

Has anyone used university van lines? southern winds outsources to them

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:39 pm

Rainier uses them also - see one review here:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3987

So does Stevens, I believe.

As a domestic mover, they have dozens of good reviews here on their own review thread and I know the owners personally. I have been in their warehouse. I think they are excellent. Not to say that the others are bad - I just don't know them personally.

Omega is the company in Long Island City, right? Odd, because I think Rainier used to use Meyer's. Omega seems to specialize in international moves. I don't think it does domestic because it isn't listed on the www.mayflower.com website. It looks OK on safersys.org and has only 2 BBB complaints over the past 36 months. It has MC #237742. I'm adding it to my Superlist linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “International Moves”