CAUTION on Broadway Moving (Vallejo, CA) for domestic moves

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
hotcombs

CAUTION on Broadway Moving (Vallejo, CA) for domestic moves

Postby hotcombs » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:22 pm

Has anyone used this company? They are an Allied agent out of Vallejo, CA and gave me a really good quote. It is not an onsite estimate though.

PMueller

Re: Broadway Moving & Storage (Allied)

Postby PMueller » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:41 pm

Request an onsite estimate, especially if you are moving long distance. Don't consider a company that will not schedule an onsite estimate with you.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:58 am

There is a complaint about this company on www.consumeraffairs.com:
Ron and Joanne of Prescott Valley AZ (12/17/05)

On June 16, 2005, our belongings from Manteca, Ca. were packed by three employees (the dream team) from Broadway Moving & Storage, Inc. an agent of Allied Van Lines. On June 17, 2005, all the belongings from our home were packed onto the moving van. My wife and I walked the house and it was empty. We locked the house. The movers had to come back the next day to pack the garage because they miscalculaated the size of the load and could not pack the items in the garage. We were told our things would be inventoried going into the moving truck, when our things were placed in storage and when they were removed from storage and placed on the van that would deliver our belongings to Arizona where we now live.

On August 2, 2005, the Allied moving van arrived at our new home. We had an inventory sheet handed to us and were told to mark off the boxes as the movers brought them into the house. We had boxes with no green inventory tags on them and we received items that were ours that were not on the inventory sheet. We wound up missing seven boxes. There are two TV sets, our Dell computer screen, hard drive, one HP 10C color printer, one HP 7410 color printer/fax/copier/scanner (all in One unit) and miscellaneous items such as perfume, pins and medals I received from a youth organization as a young man and a knife given to me by my grandfather that cannot be replaced and miscellaneous toiletries and garage items.

I packed the computer and printers in their original boxes and these boxes were placed in storage boxes by Steve one of the packers/movers. We told the movers that there were boxes missing and they told us to contact Allied as soon as possible and it would be taken care of and that was what we did. We have filed a police report with the city of Manteca and the city of Vallejo. We tried to talk to Kendra Barajas and John Andrews at the moving company and none of our calls were returned. -
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/movers/a ... _lines.htm

I would say, there could be a reason for the low quote and it's probably best to stay far away from this company.

SayNoToBroadway

Postby SayNoToBroadway » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:38 pm

I really wish I'd found this site earlier. I moved this summer from the bay area to Southern California and used Broadway Moving and Storage of Vallejo. It was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made.

Everything started out fine. I called for a quote and a seemingly nice gentleman named John Andrews came out and gave me a quote. It was the lowest of the 3 I received and now I know why. The company is horrendous. On the day of the move, the movers arrived an hour late. The 3 movers who showed up were unprofessional and I could instantly tell that something wasn't right. They began fighting about how to properly pack a truck, which is never a good sign. The one man who identified himself as the leader of the group was in charge of packing the truck, but his assistant continually kept telling him he was doing it wrong. (Once the items were delivered, we realized he was indeed doing it wrong.)

The movers severely damaged several walls in the home that I was moving from. Since I'd just sold the home and it was to be delivered to the new owners the following day, I had to spend hours re-patching and repainting walls, doors and ceilings. En route to the destination, the movers called me several times on their cell phones because they were lost and needed directions. Twice they even asked me if I knew of a place where they could stay overnight!

Upon delivery, I discovered that many items were broken, including TVs and stereos, artwork, lamps and virtually everything that was packed by the movers. And the items were split in half, crushed and demolished (not simply with a missing knob or something like that). Luckily I had my camera and took photos of all the damage. Numerous un-broken items were severely damaged, such as antique furniture and a dining room table we purchased in Italy. The number of items not damaged was far smaller than the number of items that were damaged.

I immediately called Broadway Moving and Storage to notify them of the problems. I had been dealing with John Andrews of that company (ironically the same person that Ron and Joanne at consumeraffairs.com had complained to as well). He was sympathetic at first, but that quickly changed, and he told me in a subsequent phone call that he could no longer talk to me about the situation since his boss had ordered him not to do so.

Then came the long run-around from the company. When I asked for the names of the 3 movers so I could name them in a lawsuit against the company, Broadway's representative told me she didn't know their names. She said she only knew the lead mover's name, and that he was allowed to pick his friends or relatives to help him. I found this incredulous!

I filed a complaint with the BBB against the company, and the company lied in its response to the BBB.

I hope no one uses Broadway Moving and Storage of Vallejo, CA, for a move. As my attorney uncovered, this is a company that even had its California PUC license to transport household goods revoked for a period this year. The company is THAT bad! This is the worst company I've ever dealt with on anything and I sincerely hope that people take the advice of all of us who have been scammed and ripped off by Broadway Moving and Storage of Vallejo, CA. Don't use them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:38 pm

Although the company looks OK on the BBB website with 4 complaints over the past 36 months, we've learned not to rely on the BBB's ratings too much. I think your complaint and the one cited above are bad enough to warrant our issuing a warning against this company with an "ALERT - avoid." I'll also add a warning to our Superlist linked to below.

Please file a complaint with this website by clicking on the box at the above right. In addition, you might want to post a complaint on www.ripoffreport.com with a snappy headline since complaints there come up high on Google.

Broadway Moving and Storage, Inc. is currently properly licensed with the CA PUC and it appears to be a bona fide Allied agent. It's unusual for an agent of a major van line to be such a bad actor. Hopefully the van line will take notice and cancel its affiliation with this shoddy company. I notice that a Paula Lopez is the president and the phone number is 707-557-6329. It doesn't appear to be a member of the CMSA.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Re: ALERT - avoid Broadway Moving & Storage (Vallejo, CA)

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:54 pm

I used to work with John Andrews, and he's a great guy, and if he stopped communicating, he certainly had to have been advised by a higher up.

His dad Don Andrews owned the American Red Ball agency in Oakland, but John and his brother Robert didn't want to be tied down to the family business so to speak, and branched out.

And you're right. Allied does not tolerate shoddy work from any agent.

I have a feeling that this was just a shoddy crew. A lot of movers are having that problem since the van lines have started requiring all movers and helpers pass background checks. And they are going back several years, so any indisgretion will generally cause disqualification.

If you want to pm me or email me I can talk to John and see if I can find out what's going on with that agency.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

SayNoToBroadway

Postby SayNoToBroadway » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:06 pm

Thanks for the info, Diane. :D I will file those reports. Since I've already filed numerous reports with my credit card company, the BBB, and the CA PUC already, all of the info is second nature to me. It is, unfortunately, time-consuming and kind of emotionally exhausting however.

I just hope that no one has to go thru all of the misfortune and trouble that I and others did with this horrendous company. The big thing I want to stress is the importance of taking photos of all the damage, and luckily I was able to save all of the voice mail replies I got from their company reps too along the way, especially the ones where they admitted guilt. I'm sure that's why they were told to no longer talk to me. Saving and keeping voice mail messages are very important, and I'm so glad I did.

There was another thing I forgot to mention earlier. When I first spoke with their company rep (John Andrews) upon all of my items being broken and damaged, the first words out of his mouth were, "Who was the head of the crew? Was it ********?" He identified the crew leader by name and then told me that it was unfortunate that Broadway used him because he'd been trouble on previous jobs and had recent complaints filed against him. That further points to this company not caring about its customers! If this person had complaints against him previously and they were still using him as a mover, it says a lot about Broadway. And the fact he was allowed to pick friends of his to "help him out" on the move is absurd. Broadway had done no background check on these people at all and didn't even know their names, yet they were allowed to handle thousands of dollars worth of someone's personal items.

There were many other problems with this company too but they're too long to go into on a messge board. I will include them in my complaint though. Thanks again, Diane.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:18 pm

Hmm . . . although I normally try to see the side of the moving company in these things, I have to ask myself, at what point does a company that repeatedly uses a shoddy crew become shoddy itself?

No moving company that I respect would ever let this kind of thing happen more than once, and if it DID happen, the company would certainly not tell the customer that they couldn't talk to him/her any more. They would try their best to make restitution.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:28 pm

I agree with the both of you on this. I am wondering why Allied has kept this agency in the family if this is typical behavior.

I put a call in to John, and to his brother Robert Andrews yesterday, and was told that John and Robert were both out.

Vallejo is not the best city for finding moving labor. And I'm sure Allied is having their agents do what Mayflower and United have been doing.... making every helper pass a background check. And now it has been expanded to include personnel used by the owner operators.

I would also make mention of the substandard operation to the CMSA as well, because I'm sure the same personnel is being used on local moves.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:12 pm

Lee, there are a couple of thoughts that come to mind:

1. You could be talking about a crew within a particular contractor; this was a problem we had in which we had one contractor, but that contractor had as many as 10-12 crews out on a particular day - be it HHG or O&I. In that case, the agent is really run more by the contractor than it is by the agency and the contractor pretty much has the agency by the throat. Telling a contractor that he/she can't use a particular crew would be pretty hard to do. If labor is hard to find in Vallejo, this could explain what is happening.

2. I don't know how many van lines operate within Vallejo or the surrounding cities; it could be symptomatic of a problem occuring throughout that geographic area??

As I think about how the van line would deal with something like this, it hard to figure without additional information to place the issue in the proper context. I suppose it would take numerous (8-12) occurences before some level of action would need to be taken at the van line level, and we really don't know how many occurences there have been. If it's only 2-3 occurences, I doubt the van line is going to do anything. Between 3-8? Maybe??

Please note I do not find this sort of behavior acceptable, but I did have to live through something like this where a contractor essentially ran the office (including the warehouse), and it ain't easy to deal with.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Diane

Re: CAUTION on Broadway Moving (Vallejo, CA) for domestic moves

Postby Diane » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:44 pm

I notice that one person who had Broadway for an international inventory and packing actually praised them highly. See the first review on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3987 Therefore I am changing the topic title from an "ALERT - avoid" to a "Caution" and specifying that the caution applies only to domestic moves, not international moves.

It's possible for a company to perform well in the international area and poorly in the domestic area. An example of this is Meyer's (Mayflower) in NYC, which Rainier has used to do inventory and packing - it has apparently been very good in that role but not so good as a domestic mover.

I initially posted an "ALERT - avoid" about Broadway mainly to warn people moving domestically. "Jim" has explained above that a moving company like Broadway can essentially be held hostage by a contractor with one or more bad crews. This would not impact inventory and packing for international moves, however, where the company would have tighter control over the crew that is used. In fact, most moving companies have specialized crews that they use for international moves that know what they are doing. Almost certainly this is true of Broadway.

Normally a good international mover (freight forwarder) will not use a bad company for inventory and packing because it would reflect badly on them. They want repeat business. They are not in it just for one move but for the long term. The last thing they want is to ally themselves with a bad performer.

thethinman

Postby thethinman » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:08 pm

I never had a problem using Broadway for my International origin and destination services. As stated, they may be bad for domestic, but they are really good for international, at least for my moves!

Glenda Austin

Postby Glenda Austin » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:21 pm

I am moving from Benicia, California, in the northeast Bay Area in March and relocating to Sparks, Nevada. I'm getting worried now since I haven't found a mover yet that I feel comfortable with. Is there a place where I can find suggestions?

I have interviewed two movers so far and one was Broadway Moving & Storage of Vallejo. It seems like my quote and everything is in the same pattern as the others on here and I'm concerned. It seemed so low to me and was over $1,500 less than the other quote I received from a company called Graebel out of Sacramento. I made a phone call to the state Public Utilities Commission after reading everything here and I asked about Broadway Moving & Storage (I had to leave a message but it was returned). The woman I spoke with told me that I should think twice before using Broadway because of the number of complaints and some past issues about their license being revoked. How does a company stay in business with those kinds of problems? When the gentleman from Broadway gave me the quote at my house, he talked about the company in such glowing terms and talked about how professional they are and how everything was just wonderful. I don't understand it. I want to find some reliable movers quickly though and any help is appreciated.

Nice site you have here.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:27 pm

To the above poster:- do not make false posts. You may have a legitimate complaint but you undermine your position when you post claiming to be someone else. We then tend to doubt everything you said.

A warning to all:- moderators on this messageboard can see where everybody is posting from and their IP addresses.

bob munninn

Postby bob munninn » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:07 pm

In my opinion, you should not use Broadway Moving and Storage as a moving company (http://www.broadwaymovingandstorage.com). I used them and really regret it. You should just use a different mover. Not only does it seem that they are more expensive per pound then most places but about half of my furniture was damaged in the move. They also gave me a different quote over the phone and failed to get the shipment to me on time. This part would not have been so bad if they had just called to let me know what was going on but once they got my money it seems that they did not care. Besides the pricing issue and the damaged furniture, they clearly cared only about the money. Broadway moving is part of Allied (allied.com), who only refunded us a fraction of the value of the damaged furniture. Just use someone else and save yourself the hassle.

Return to “Open Community”