Moving From Memphis to Austin - Wheaton Moving?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
sinbad

Re: Moving From Memphis to Austin - Wheaton Moving?

Postby sinbad » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:16 am

Diane, thanks for the feedback on the local Wheaton agent, QS moving. I still plan on going by to talk to them.

What does it mean when you say: "your shipment would be picked up by a van line driver; you should ask?"

In other developments, I talked to my nephew last night, and he volunteered the use of his new Dodge pickup, equipped with the 5.9-Liter HO Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine. He has it setup to run on bio-diesel fuel -- he collects the Canola oil form his brother's Long John Silver franchise -- and it is equipped with electric trailer brake wiring and both and goose neck and bumper trailer hitch. All that I need is a trailer.

Now, I have heard and read the horror stories about U-Haul service and equipment -- is there any other place that I can rent a covered trailer? Penske does not have them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:51 am

sinbad wrote:What does it mean when you say: "your shipment would be picked up by a van line driver; you should ask?"

Your shipment would either be hauled the 700 miles by QS or hauled by a driver from Wheaton Van Lines. Since you mentioned a destination agent I assume that it would not be hauled by QS, but I am suggesting that you should get this clarified. If QS is only booking the move and not hauling it, maybe you should be looking at the quality of the hauler as well.

jmcwaystl@yahoo.com

Postby jmcwaystl@yahoo.com » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:26 pm

I used Wheaton to move from Fresno,Ca. to Madison Wi. Found them to be quite good.
Couple years later moved from Madison to St. Louis. Used U-Haul. Major mistake. Only 24 ft. truck available had broken rear springs and despite careful packing normal driving ruined lots of furniture. Would never consider a do it y'self move any farther than across a small town with U-Haul. They're an awful company to deal with.

sinbad

Postby sinbad » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:41 pm

I ended up renting a 26 foot Penske truck and using local movers on each end to load and unload the truck. We drove from Memphis to half way point, Mt Pleasant Texas, where we spent the night, and then on to Austin the next day. I have a separate post with more detail.

The Penske truck was super! It only had 33,000 miles, was clean and ran and stopped like a top! Rent only Penske!

The DIY move was a little stressful, but it was more than outweighed by the fact that it gave us control and flexibility over our schedule, and kept us from the horror of an anti-social, thieving, criminally psychopathic moving company.

Thanks again to all on the forum for alerting us to the black, swirling, sucking eddy of despair that is the underworld of movers and moving companies!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:56 pm

Thanks for letting us know what happened. I re-posted your review of Penske in our Rental Truck thread and added your comments on the two loading/unloading companies to my Superlist under Memphis and Austin.

Just remember that there is more to the moving industry than the underworld. There are a lot of very good people out there trying to do their best for customers. We are trying to identify and publicize them to give consumers some guidance - a last-ditch grassroots effort since the industry has failed to police itself.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

sinbad

Postby sinbad » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:02 pm

10-4, Diane.

Moving subjects consumers to one of the most vulnerable positions they will ever encounter.

It's the old "Probability, Gravity, Utility" formula we learned in Torts I.

There is a high probability you will be taken advantage of, unless you do your research.

The gravity of the harm done can be high -- no furniture, with babies in diapers for a week, plus overcharges, lost and damaged goods, lawsuits, letters -- you name it.

The utility of research, planning, reading the fine print and protecting yourself at every turn can be priceless.

Here's to those honest movers, and thanks for your good work!

Return to “Open Community”