Moving from VA to San Francisco, CA - Help!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jnVA2

Re: *Moving from VA to San Francisco, CA - Help!

Postby jnVA2 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:04 pm

thanks. would you happen to have any further info?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:08 pm

Hi - all I know is in this post and the one following - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7122#77122

We have more reviews of Von Paris, but I actually think you will be fine with either company.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

jnvirginia

Postby jnvirginia » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:30 pm

is a GPP the same as a GNTE?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:39 pm

You should ask your rep about this. I haven't seen the term GPP used, but Allied sometimes uses the phrase Guaranteed Price Pledge, and GPP might be an abbreviation for that. By itself, I think a GPP would be a Binding estimate, not a Binding Not to Exceed. A Binding Not to Exceed would have to have the initials GRR for Guaranteed Rate Reduction added. Have I confused you enough? :wink: Here is a post where I tried to explain all the terms used by various van lines.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1&start=15

I saw the person who started this thread browsing the messageboard a few minutes ago, so maybe he/she will post about his move, or you can send him a PM. I believe you have signed up as a member so you can send messages, right?

moving2ca

Postby moving2ca » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:56 pm

Hello All,

I had started to feel guilty for not posting my review on our move.. Thanks Diane for the reminder.

September -
Since we didn't hear back from United until much later, we decided to go with Ambassador/Allied. The BEST MOVE EVER!

We paid $5316.65 for a cross-country move from VA to CA. It was a guaranteed price including a full-pack (4500 lbs), loading, unloading, extra drop-off at a nearby storage.

On the day of moving, two packers came in at 9am and did an exceptional job of packing till 1pm. The driver - Sean (very friendly and a good guy) came along at 1pm with two loading guys. Everything was done by 5pm.

After reading the reviews on this website, we were definitely concerned if we'd get it all in good shape. I have to tell you - NOT EVEN A SINGLE SCRATCH!!!! Our beige leather sofa seemed untouched and so was the china and other precious things! Both the packers and loaders did a fantastic job of packing and wrapping the furniture.

Not sure if it helps - but we had food for the packers and chips and drinks for all on our loading day. Also, we tipped them all ($20 to each packer, $40 to each loader & driver). Again, on the delivery day, we tipped another $30 to each unloader and driver). If you use Ambassador - definitely ask for Sean D'Malley as your driver. He was great to us.

Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback. It helped us immensely to make our decision and we're very happy with it. This was our first professional move and we have been very fortunate!

moving 2CA2

Postby moving 2CA2 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:22 pm

your input really helps. we're moving to NORCAL too, coincidentally from NOVA.

moving2ca

Postby moving2ca » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:57 pm

that's great - what a coincidence! welcome to CA!! Let us know how it goes and we can be reached at dipleenk at yahoo.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:36 pm

Thanks, "moving2ca," for coming back to let us know what happened. I'll add your review to my Superlist linked to below. (I wonder whether your original sales rep from Ambassador was "fired"--if that wasn't just a story--because he gave you too low a quote. I guess we'll never know.)
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”