Reviews of international movers (June 2004 to present)

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.

Re: Reviews of international movers (June 2004 to present)

Postby Guest » Wed May 03, 2006 10:04 pm

Tried Rainier, submit a in home survey request, they don't even reply me.
:(

Music Mom

Postby Music Mom » Mon May 15, 2006 4:55 pm

How much did your move cost, I am also moving to London, UK from teh same region as you did. Appreciate it!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 16, 2006 7:17 am

Hi, other Music Mom. Any chance you can pick another screen name? Don't want there to be any confusion.

melissajacobini

Postby melissajacobini » Wed May 17, 2006 2:31 pm

music mom who is mving to the uk we r moving fom winston salem Nc to london also and am going insane with quotes have received many over the net from 2500 to 6400 we are looking at about 740 cubic feelt with 5000 lbs
and no vehicles, what is the best company on this area? and what is the reasonable price for that move am totally confuse about this and dont have anybody to ask

also i heard that i can not pack my own boxes and the company has to do it is that true or i can back my books and dishes by myself?

thanks melissa jacobini

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 17, 2006 3:39 pm

Melissa, I suggest you sign up for membership (free and painless) and send a Private Message to "Michael". He's a pro mover in Raleigh who wrote the article on International Moving on this website. He can tell you who the best movers in your area would be for your situation.

NAM

Postby NAM » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:12 pm

It was a nightmare working with Global Ocean Freight, Inc.
Otherwise known as Global OC
4634 N. University Drive
Lauderhill, Florida 33351
www.global-oc.com

Once they had the check, they refused to return emails, phone calls, etc.
When I was contacted itwas a different person each time (9 in all).

They failed to schedule a pick up date, put showed up with only 36 hours notice. Then showed up 4 hours behind schedule.

They failed to give me the proper insurance forms.

They failed to arrange door to door service as I paid for. They hired a moving company unequiped (largest truck 13m3) and unmanned (only one mover showed up with each load). It took 4 days to move in. My family and I had to do all the lifting/carrying.

They only offered to refund 3% of the total cost when I threatening to file with the BBB.

And I this is only a patial list of problems!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:16 pm

Here are some additional reviews of other international movers - Champion and Hilldrup. There was no room for them in the first post on this thread.

1. Champion International Moving at www.champmove.com

There is a positive report on 6/29/04 from one of the moverpros who posts on this board who has used them for corporate moves - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1898

The company was also praised by "wizard" who got an estimate from Champion for his small move from NYC to England. Some of his comments on other companies he considered are informative so I will include them below and put the names of the companies in bold face.
wizard wrote:11/6/04 - First we spoke with Sterling who gave us a quote of $2500.00 without actually seeing what we had, but were pretty right on with their estimate of how much really do have. They were actually the lowest quote we got, but a little more than we had expected to pay.

Next we had All American Van Lines (affiliated with Stevens, which is supposed to be reputable) here on Long Island come and see our stuff for a quote and never called us with the quote! We left several messages and finally got a return call 2 weeks later, not telling us the price yet and when we called back had to leave another message and we still never got a return call....so if it is this hard to get a price from them, I'de hate to imagine what would happen if something went wrong with our move! This was a double disappointment as I had cancelled plans with my best freind who was in the new york area for only that day(she's from LA), because I had to be here for the estimate. Oh well.

Next we had local company Liberty Moving who are affiliated with United come and give us a quote. They looked at half of our stuff and left, which was weird because we had a lot more things in the other part of the house that would have to be possibly crated etc....they did however call back with a quote of around $4000.00 which I dont really know what this was based on as he never really looked at all our stuff, nor did he care to know what else there was.

Finally...we had Champion come...who were absolutley and completley professional and efficient. We had the quote the next day. If only we could afford it! it was $5000.00 (way out of our budget) had we been able to afford them I would have used them without any doubt in my mind. They made me feel quite safe and informed.

We have what is considered a fairly small move. Approx. 220 cubic feet at around 1700 lbs and not really any furniture, mostly boxes. Anyone who is making an international move at this size might really want to consider mailing the stuff to yourself if you have a tight budget, meaning you want to spend around $2000.00 or less.

If you do have a bigger budget, I would definatly suggest a big company like Champion. They were the only ones that truly made me feel safe about the whole thing. I'm postive there would be no surprises at the end of the move if I were to use them.

I'm still nervous about sending my fragile belongings through the mail but at least I know what I'm dealing with. I might have to end up paying possible import duties but at least there won't be the possibilties of some of the nightmares I've read about on this site.

I think that's about it. I hope this helps anyone with a similiar move as I know it is a really nerve racking thing to go through, especially with all the dishonesty that seems to be rampant in this business. I will definatly post what my outcome is, once I get to England and can get near a computer. I wish more people would post their good outcomes!

Thanks to everyone on this site that helped with our decision, I hope it was the right one! - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2701

2. Hilldrup International

There is a positive report on a completed move from Washington, DC, to London in 2005:
Timo Makela wrote: 3/19/06 - I moved from Washington, D.C. to London, UK in October 2005 and used Hilldrup International, 4022 Jefferson Davis Highway, Stafford, VA 22554 (and its British partner John Mason International, 35 Wilson Road, Liverpool L36 6AE).

The quality of their service was very good. I would be happy to use Hilldrup again and recommend them to other people. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7599

I also want to add this cautionary comment made way back in 2004 by a guy named Ken who worked for a United agent in Wakefield, MA. He points out that a common problem in international moving is that additional charges are tacked on at the end that were not mentioned to the customer at the beginning, whether the company is a scammer or not.
Ken wrote: . . . from what I know from hearing scam stories concerning international moves, the trouble doesn't usually start until the shipment arrives at the destination point... the destination agent holds the shipment until the booking agent or forwarder pays the invoice for destination services, which the shipper has already paid for. When all is said and done, the shipper ends up paying for the customs clearance, terminal handling charge, and delivery a second time, as well as well as whatever storage the DA has accumulated, not to mention how much demurrage there may be if the shipment is a container load.

I have read instances where the forwarder/booking agent collects the money, but never sends the shipment . . . What also concerns me about this move is ... every inbound personal effect shipment to Australia is subject to a quarantine, which depending on the size of the shipment can total several hundred dollars. Also, very often forwarders will neglect to include the destination terminal handling charge (THC) in order to make their price quote seem more attractive. This could also total several hundred dollars... so in the end, [a customer] may feel that he got scammed not because fraudelent charges have been added, but because not all of the legitimate charges were explained to the shipper to begin with...

I personally wouldn't trust anyone who wasn't a member of the HHGFAA - without them, there is absolutely no kind of control whatsoever. Any forwarder looking for business would want to jump at becoming a member... I feel that anyone in the international relocation business and is not a member of the HHGFAA is trying to intentionally keep a low profile.

Toby in London

Postby Toby in London » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:19 am

I am planning a move from London, UK back to the US. I've read the great reviews about Sterling and am wondering if this company is affiliated with Sterling, the big UK international moving comapny. I am about to have them come in to give me a quote. As I have not found an equivalent to movingscam.com in the UK, I'm relying a bit on your site, but am concerned we're talking about two entirely different Sterling companies.

Many thanks for any advice. Also, any negative reviews or warnings about: AGS, Allied Pickfords or North American Van Lines would be helpful, as those are the others I'm getting quotes from.

Toby

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:31 am

Toby

The two Sterlings are competely differnt compaines and are unrelated to each other.

Sterlings in the UK is also a fine company. Allied Pcikfords is a fine company. AGS is a find company.

What company is coming out to see you on behalf of North American?

Good luck on the move.

Toby

Postby Toby » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:14 pm

Dear Hardatwork,

Many thanks for the clarification on Sterling.

As per your question, North American International, 15-16 Chestnut Way
Feltham London TW13 7DP, United Kingdom will be coming to give a quote shortly. Will question about local agents and let you know.

Best regards,
Toby

Nin's

Unipack Global Relocation

Postby Nin's » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:37 am

Recent experience:

we moved our HHG from NC to Singapore using Security (via Michael) who works with Unipack (Susan Langston originally, then Chris Ramey and Jim Kinyon after, due to Susan fell sick which we hoped not caused by us :p - http://www.unipack.net/); goods were packed sometime in late Aug, and left US (Norfolk) mid Sept, with ETA Spore 24th oct.

Goods were packed and loaded to security truck on time and smoothly. All packaging in fact are still well intact till now. thanks goes to Security team John, James Daniels, Eric and Shannon and of course Michael..

There was a small hiccups due to miscalculation in quote (initial quote was given based on density in 2 liftvans, ended up needing 3, so goods were loaded onto 3 liftvans which then were loaded onto 20FCL) , the price exceed by $500ish after the goods packed and in WH. We're ok since it's still circa 10% allowance in our budget..

The local Singapore agent (Raffles) appointed by Unipack originally is based in India, hence we requested to have local agent whose office is in Singapore. Finally Unipack engaged Interport Singapore as local agent for us. Great coordination here done by Ramey and Jim to get our goods loaded onto the 20FCL and let us know the final costs, giving my husband time to transfer the payment just before he left NC.

Goods arrived at our door on 27th (takes 3 days custom clearance in Spore-normal time frame), on time (9.15am Spore time) and Interport did good job, finished unloading in 1 hr. Since we will move again to a new apartment next month, we decided to not unwrap anything.. so till now we still do not know if there's breakage.. Margaret from Interport did an excellent coordination..

All in all, I would rate the move 80% smooth - 20% issue due to the hiccups in the initial quote and delay of giving us the final decision and price (if we dont find any breakage that is, after we get to open all them boxes!! :D )

BIG THANKS GO TO ALL NAMES MENTIONED AND THOSE WHO WERE WORKING IN THE BACKGROUND!!!

[Editor's note by Diane: I put the names of the companies involved in bold and red so they would stand out more in this report.]

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:46 pm

Re-posting a very good review of a move packed and loaded by Eureka (Wheaton) and handled by Wheaton International:
marianne h wrote:11/26/06 - We moved from washington dc to oslo norway in june. After getting several estimates, wheaton came back with the lowest, and seemed to be trustworthy. We had a very good experience with them and Eureka, the local company [note: Eureka is in Herndon, VA]. They quickly responded to any qustions or concerns we had. Our container arrived when scheduled. We had 2 pieces of furniture damaged, but wheaton have been very helpful in dealing with the insurance company. All in all a very good experience! - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10563

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:34 pm

Re-posting a very good review of Hi-Line for a move to Alaska in 11/06. Note first this very useful post by "Rick" (industry expert) on options for moving from the lower 48 to Alaska, with or without a car to be transported.
Rick wrote: 10/13/06 - Several companies use the Alcan highway to transport household goods to Alaska - usually when its a bit warmer. Hi-Line is an independent company based in Montana. http://www.hi-line.org/alaska.html

AAA Moving, an independent, uses RollOn-RollOff service thru the state of Washington. The RoRo trailer that loads the household goods in the lower 48 is placed on an ocean vessal at their office in Seattle-Tacoma and transported to their port office in Alaska. http://www.aaa-moving.com/

World Wide Moving, Inc. a Unigroup entity, services all Alaskan destinations using a variety of transportation options. http://world-widemovers.com/

All of these companies (and most major van lines) can provide door-to-door containerized service for both your household goods and vehicle via Seattle.

Rick later posted some other details about these companies and others:
Rick wrote: 10/14/06 - I've worked with all three companies and would use any of them before I'd consider IRS. Hi-Line is the largest with 65 drivers, followed by AAA Moving with 35. World Wide has 20. Each company has more drivers than IRS which has none. You would have the same credit card protection with any of these carriers and a lot less risk.

Contact J. Herschel Kendrick Moving & Storage http://www.kendrickmoving.com in Lebanon, OH for an estimate. They are an agent of Stevens Van Lines, a military qualified carrier that routinely arranges DOD shipments to and from Alaska. Most northbound transferees leave their vehicles behind since they're really not equipped to deal with the low tempertures and harsh climate in Alaska. . . .

Although the company has been around for awhile, Hi-Line (US DOT #877828; MC #297732) has held their authority uninterrupted since December, 1996 under the current ownership. . . .

at one time HI-Line was an agent with Global Van Lines, northAmerican Van Lines, and then Allied Van Lines. These changes occured as SIRVA purchased the individual companies. Some carriers force their agents with their own operating authority to shelve it during the term of their affiliation. Currently they're operating as an independent.

At one point the company operated as a common carrier with freight vans and flat beds to service a wider variety of transportation needs at Malmstrom AFB.

Hi-Line has also had several ownership changes which may account for the slightly different names.

AKbound posted again and then came back with a review.
AKbound wrote:10/16/06 - I have narrowed it down to Hi-Line and Kendrick's thanks to Rick. Kendrick's is located about 10 miles away from me and I have heard of them before. They are offering to move 6000 lbs. plus my car for $9300. This would include $50,000 of insurance. This includes the materials needed to pack my glass table tops. I can pay by credit card if I would like and all payment is due upon delivery, not a penny before.

Hi_line is offering to move 5000 lbs. plus my car for $7400. I still have to get a quote from them for 6000 lbs. and find out how much insurance this includes. Materials to pack my glass table tops would cost additional. I can pay by credit card for a 3.5% surcharge, otherwise I need to pay by cashier's check or money order upon delivery, not a penny before.

Based on my estimates Kendrick's will come in at about $1000 higher once Hi-Line adjusts my quote to 6000 lbs. so I am going to see if Kendrick's can come down any and make a decision from there. I will keep everyone posted on the move itself but thank you very much for your help. . .

11/22/06 - I just wanted to provide everyone with an update. I went with Hi-Line Moving and overall my experience was good. They called about 3 days before the scheduled pick up date and asked if it would be convenient for me to delay the pick up a day or two which was actually a god send for me because I was running behind and had to travel to Florida to arrange for the Army to pick up my fiance's things the same week. I told them one day would be great but two days wouldn't work because I didn't want everything picked up the day before I was scheduled to leave to come to Alaska. They said that was fine to expect them first thing that morning. I met the driver at the local scale at 8am sharp that morning, we weighed the truck and went to my house to begin the load. They were at my house for quite a while loading everything, probably around 5 hours. Then when finished I went back to the local scale with the driver to weigh one final time and they were on there way. The total weight of my household goods was 4500 lbs. and then there was my vehicle as well. They picked up my things on Saturday, October 28th and the expected arrival to Fairbanks was November 16-21.

I was scheduled to leave for Alaska that Monday afternoon so I called and left a message with Hi-Line that I would need the final estimate based on the actual weight first thing Monday morning so I could get a cashier's check prior to leaving town. They got with me Monday morning and the final price was right about $6500. This was lower than I originally expected because the weight was approximately 1000 lbs less than I had estimated. I called to check in with Hi-Line on Thursday, November 9 and was told my shipment should be here towards the middle to end of the following week which the following Friday would be November 17. Everything seemed to be right on schedule. Friday came and passed and I never heard anything so I called Hi-Line first thing Monday morning and I was informed they had delivered the trailer to the local company that was responsible for unloading everything on Friday so they would call and find out what was going on. There was some urgency because I was scheduled to go out of town Wednesday afternoon which Hi-Line knew from the beginning. Hi-Line worked with the local company and they ended making the delivery on Tuesday, November 21.

A few notable things were damaged. My big screen tv has a decent size crack in it. Due to the items sitting out in the cold I have plugged them in yet to see if it works. I will do that tomorrow. I do expect it to still work but the crack is in the front below the screen so it is very noticeable. There was a decent size scratch on my dining room table. The wood corner of my curio cabinet was busted and this was probably the most noticeable damage on anything. Other pieces of furniture had some small knicks and scratches but nothing too bad. Then finally, the underneath part of the bumper on my car was ripped and bent out. My car sits very low to the ground and they were extra special when they loaded it but apparantly were not as careful when they transferred it to a different trailer at some point. I am still working through unpacking the boxes so I may still find more but I don't expect to find anything else too major. I am told that the damages will be submitted to Hi-Line and an insurance adjuster will come out to look at the damages. I will post again once that occurs.

Overall thus far I am satisfied with my experience. You can't expect to move 4000 miles and not one thing get damaged. Afterall, my fiances things were shipped by the army with a completely different moving company and the tv in that shipment has damage as well. Thanks to everyone who helped me. -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10250

UPDATE: Here are final reports from the above poster telling what happened with the damage:
AKbound wrote: 4/10/07 - I would also recommend that you get a quote from Hi-Line Moving Company. Their website is www.hi-line.org. I used them to move here at the end of October and they shipped all of my household goods and my car all on the same truck. There were some damaged items, probably more so because I packed everything myself and was not very knowledgable on how to do it, but either way they took care of all the damages. I would recommend purchasing some additional insurance which I didn't and I think I got lucky that they still took care of everything without the insurance but its not a chance I'll take again. All of the damages were minor and probably expected in a move of such distance.

They came to my home in Ohio and picked up everything as planned and it arrived in Fairbanks 2-3 weeks later. When it arrived in Fairbanks, it was handled by Sourdough and I didn't have any problems. -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 5763#85763

AKbound wrote: 4/10/07 - Just to close out my experience, Hi-Line sent me a settlement check to have all of my damaged items repaired and paid the body shop directly to repair my vehicle. I had the option of having them pay a furniture refinisher directly to repair my items or taking the settlement check and I chose the settlement check as I felt the refinisher was planning to take some of the repairs overboard. I preferred to have some of the small scratches and such touched up opposed to refinishing the whole piece as he proposed. Overall I am satisfied and would use Hi-Line again if I have the opportunity.

Alicia -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 5764#85764

Here's another 11/06 thread with information about companies that go to Alaska either overland or by boat - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10448
Last edited by Diane on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:00 am

"SundaySilence" gave an excellent review to Atlantic Relocation (Atlas) in Tampa, FL, and Wickman Worldwide (freight forwarder) for a shipment to France in 9/06-12/06. There are two threads:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9891 (end)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11029

Mr. Ed Wickman, president of Wickman Worldwide, also made some excellent posts on another thread explaining how mistakes are sometimes made in giving estimates but his company does not give lowball bids:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11034
"Michael" (used to work for an Atlas agent) came on to say that he had worked with Ed in the past and found him to be very honest.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:53 pm

Re-posting a rave review by "amy" of a completed shipment to France through Astro International in Boston:
amy wrote: 2/8/07 - Great company, great service, great price, great move. Surprised that more not mentioned about Peter and his Father (owners) of Astro International on this site.

Called Peter three weeks before actual move, no problem. Pricing was more than fair door to door . We handled customs with a company he suggested, we packed, we loaded and we unloaded. Peter came to our house and did an in house survery. The container arrived in our driveway when promised, it was removed later that afternoon when promised. Last Thursday the container was delivered, one week early!

It should be said that Astro will handle the entire move (packing, loading, customs, delivery to destination as well as contents moved into home). My husband wanted to meet Peter, so we drove there, and they were busy. We noticed they were crating cars for Europe, and Europeans going home were dropping off there belongings to be crated and sent. We left a deposit. We later returned to pay entire bill, and you know what they were busy again.

I have noticed they have been mentioned here before, only in the best light. I hope they make it to your top ten list ... because I checked out a few of them. Astro was the most reasonably priced, the easiest to get on the phone and the quote was in 24 hours. We did not experience any hidden charges, and Peter clearly and honestly explained insurance. Can't say enough good things about them. Hope anyone thinking of moving internationally will give them a chance ... because they deliver.

Amy -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11776

This company's website is www.astrointl.com and its phone numbers are 888-744-7220 or 508-587-6993.

Return to “International Moves”