Can the heat affect boxes, contents, etc...?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Leesa

Re: Can the heat affect boxes, contents, etc...?

Postby Leesa » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:07 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:Take your computer and if you still have the original box with the styrofoam inserts package it in there. If not, get some peanuts and surround it so it won't take a lot of jostling.

Just make sure to put the computer somewhere that road bumps won't cause it to hiccup, because pcs don't like to be bounced.

Don't have the original boxes for anything except my car stereo/cd player! :lol: My trunk is not exactly large so a box for the computer will not likely fit.........we were planning to wrap it in bubble wrap but what do you suggest to keep it still, I know you mentioned peanuts but that usually requires a box. We toyed with having Mailboxes ship the computer. No one trusts UPS around here so..............that's kind of debatable. And those insulated pads...how does one get those?

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:12 pm

moving blankets are not cheap.

It could be if you have some old quilts, they will work just as good if they are the good big cushiony ones (ok I'm not a woman so I don't know what you call them)

you can insulate the pc with bubble wrap, yes. and most pcs (including keyboard and speakers can fit inside a 4.5 cu ft carton. You can get one used at most moving companies for about $3 - $4.
Remember that used moving boxes are still 2 1/2 times stronger than your supermarket boxes.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Leesa

Postby Leesa » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:35 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:moving blankets are not cheap.

It could be if you have some old quilts, they will work just as good if they are the good big cushiony ones (ok I'm not a woman so I don't know what you call them)

you can insulate the pc with bubble wrap, yes. and most pcs (including keyboard and speakers can fit inside a 4.5 cu ft carton. You can get one used at most moving companies for about $3 - $4.
Remember that used moving boxes are still 2 1/2 times stronger than your supermarket boxes.

Thanks for the tip. What about the monitor? I have some heavy thick blankets that you use in the winter to keep warm.......hopefully my mom hasn't packed those away. I know my aunt said she has a bunch of old towels......those are really padded....I do have a quilted blanket but I think my mom threw out the other one the other day. She always does that..........I'll tell her we might need it to move and she decides I don't need it and tosses it. She acts very hastily.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:57 pm

Basically what you want to do is just protect your items from direct heat and cushion from bouncing around.

As long as they are covered by insulation, the heat shouldn't be a problem. They might get warm, but the covering will absorb the direct heat.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:59 pm

Someone suggested raiding thrift stores for blankets and quilts, even asking if they have thrown away any not fit for sale.

Leesa

Postby Leesa » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:06 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:Basically what you want to do is just protect your items from direct heat and cushion from bouncing around.

As long as they are covered by insulation, the heat shouldn't be a problem. They might get warm, but the covering will absorb the direct heat.

Thanks for the tips! :)

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:30 pm

Ok I had a 21" widescreen LCD and a 23" Widescreen LCD. (among other electronics)

The 21" was packed in it's orignal container, the 23" was packed in a dishpack on it's end. Both sat in a trailer for the last 4 months in Iowa. While they where packed correctly they where just floated onto the trailer. Now I did not take tempature readings But back during the summer it was over 100F and recently it was below 0F.

In both cases there was no pixel or physical damage.

As for what temperature will start to damage things I believe the magic number is around 167F.
Ruges

Leesa

Postby Leesa » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:27 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:Basically what you want to do is just protect your items from direct heat and cushion from bouncing around.

I wanted to post an update here. I had the movers move the computer. We had it packed at Mail Boxes beforehand. It worked out fine. I went with a local company, which was a little pricey, however, they had a guaranteed date of arrival and actually made it! We were impressed. I used PMS: Professional Moving and Storage, in Lawrence, KS. My sister and aunt had both used them locally and thought they were good. I did't have to wait weeks for my stuff either. Yes, they had other loads and still were on time. I think they got to us, two days after we had arrived. We were hoping we would not be stalled and somehow not make it before they did! So, I think they left on a Monday or Tuesday and got there by Thursday!

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:08 pm

For those who are interested in the runup to Leesa's post, she moved from Lawrence, KS, to Orlando, FL, and was considering both Fry-Wagner and a North American agent - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9448

Thanks, Leesa - I'll add your positive comments about PMS to my Superlist linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MOVINGLADYMO

Re: ANY SUGESTIONS FOR THE TEMPURPEDIC MATTRESS?

Postby MOVINGLADYMO » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:55 am

Leesa wrote:
BBATCO1 wrote:Well I doubt when all your electronics came here from china they bothered to make sure they shipped it when the temperature was right. I always use the rule if they could get it here if packed properly i can get it there. Pack it right and it will be fine. Now if you don't know how than pay someone who does.....

Similar comment that an agent said about moving electronics. It is a good point and I took it into consideration and decided to have most of my electronics to go in the truck. The computer, however, will go with me because I will need it and it may take two weeks to get my other things.
WHILE ON THE SUBJECT OF TRANSPORTING ELECTRONICS,BOXES ETC..DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD SUGGESTIONS ON THE TEMPUR PEDIC MATRESS?I HAVE BEEN READING AND HAVE FOUND THIS IS A BIG QUESTION.FIRST OF ALL NO ONE WILL TAKE LIABILITY FOR THESE MATRESSES.WITH THE CONSTRUCTION AND MATERIALS THEY ARE MADE WITH THEY ARE VERY CONTOVERSIAL,ASIDE FROM BEING THERAPEUDIC AND COMFY! HOPEFULLY SOMEONE WILL COME UP WITH A LEGITIMATE MOVE PROCEDURE FOR THESE MATRESSES.THE CLIMATE,TRUCK AND POSITIONING OF THESE THINGS CAN BE A NIGHTMARE.EVEN IF PACKED AND PLACED PERFECTLY!IT IS ALSO UNLAWFUL TO HAVE THE CUSTOMER SIGN A WAIVER.SO ANY INPUT WILL BE GREAT.THANKS FOR ANY SUGESTIONS.WHO KNOWS MAYBE SOMEONE WILL COME UP WITH A SAFE AND SURE IDEA FOR ALL OF US.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:51 am

I have a luxurious 3" mattress topper made from this material. I don't know how the full-size mattresses come packed, but this came vaccuum-sealed in a bag about 2' x 4', folded over several times, took two days to reach its real shape. I can't see the full-size mattress being folded like this successfully.

Can it be slid into a bag, then inside a mattress box? I imagine it would retain its shape pretty well, or at least spring back easily when un-packed.

But Lordy, these things are heavy. My topper weighs about 30-40 pounds, and that's only 3 inches of the material. This mattress must weigh at least a hundred pounds. Anyone own one of these?

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:24 pm

Heat can effect electronics but as most have posted, they are shipped from the maunfacturer year round so how can this be a problem. For those of you who kept the original packing you will notice that the item fits into styrofoam "corners". Not only do they keep the item away from the sides, reducing the risk of damage, they also allow airflow, "convection currents", around the item which help to cool it. Modern electronics are not as prone to damage as older systems.

Return to “Open Community”