*Anybody used Marrin Moving Sustems in NC? (also has an office in NY)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
conner

*Anybody used Marrin Moving Sustems in NC? (also has an office in NY)

Postby conner » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:48 pm

The guy at Marrin Moving was impressive to talk to, but the price for moving our stuff sounded pretty high. We're just moving several miles down the road, but I realize they still have to load the truck as if for a long move. Admittedly, we do have a houseful of accumulation, some large bedroom furniture, and several big, heavy power tools in the garage, plus a huge treadmill. Oh, yeah, then there's a large, full attic on the 3rd floor. He figured it would take 6 men & 2 trucks about 10 hours to get us moved in one day and estimated $2,600+. He said it may be less if we moved some of the smaller items outselves. He said we would need to pack all the smaller items in boxes, and they would move the boxes, furniture, appliances, tools, etc., plus they would take all the pictures off the wall and put them in a padded place in the truck, as well as secure the lamps so we didn't have to box them.

I know we have a lot of stuff to move, but I was really floored by sticker shock. Can anyone tell me if this is a reasonable price, and if anyone has ever heard of or used this mover?? Our current house is about 2250 sq ft.

Thanks so much!

MusicMom

Re: Anybody used Marrin Moving Sustems in NC? (also has an office in NY)

Postby MusicMom » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Moving is expensive. Move as much of the little stuff as you can, leave the furniture and tools to the pros.

conner

Postby conner » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:29 am

Thanks for suggestion. We do plan to move what we can, but hubby is still recovering from his 4th back surgery & 86 yr old mother-in-law is staying w/us temp & she can't move much.

I guess I just need to know who the *pros* really are in our area & make sure we don't get scammed by a smooth-talking estimator-salesman.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:52 am

Here's what people have had to say about moving companies in NC:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7104#77104

If you have specific questions, you can sign up for Membership and send a private message to "Michael" - as he's quite familiar with the NC area.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:41 pm

Where are you located in North Carolina?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

conner

Postby conner » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:42 pm

We're in Durham, about 25 miles west of Raleigh.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi again - if I were you I would try to get quotes from these three companies that have good comments here. I would approach them probably in reverse alphabetical order:
--Movin' on Movers, Inc. (independent) in Apex (Raleigh area).
This company has the website www.movinonmovers.com and the phone 919-362-8355. According to "Michael" (used to work for Atlas in NC), this company has a good local reputation but its estimates often lack detail and it doesn't have big trucks:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 4627#54627
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10326

--TROSA (independent) in Raleigh.
This company's website is www.trosainc.com and its phone number (in Durham, NC) is 919-419-1059. I don't know whether it is licensed for interstate moves.
"NYCgirltoNC" used them to move out of storage after a move to Raleigh. She comments, "I believe they are an organization that helps people who are rehabilitating get back into the work force. Totally competent and a great price - I'd use them again for a move in a minute.":
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7628 (local)

--Truckin' Movers (independent) in Durham.
This company has the website www.truckinmovers.com and the phone is 800-334-1651. The owner is Doug Carlton.
"swapan007" posted a very good review of an unusual move from Durham to Champaign, IL, in 8/06. Truckin' packaged her things in two containers and shipped them via UPS Freight to IL where they were picked up and delivered by Federal O'Byrne (Allied):
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9138 (interstate)

At least you will know whether Marrin's quote is reasonable, and I think you may get better pricing from an independent mover than from a van line agent.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:35 pm

Hey Diane, can you update the record for TROSA? They do have an interstate license and have since 1997:
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

conner

Postby conner » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:00 pm

We need to move on Sat, Feb 17. Movin on Movers doesn't work on Sat & Sun. Trosa doesn't disconnect & re-connect washers & dryers.

I did talk to marrin Movers today to ask if we do more moving of small stuff if we can get it under $2,000. He is confident that we can if we move a fair amount of the small, lightweigt stuff, and move pictures on wall, fake trees, etc.

So sound like price can get in range, now I just want to know if anyone has ever heard of Marrin Moving Systems & if they were decent. Time is quickly approaching & most others are already booked for that date. Thye will hold it til next week, then we need to send a $200 deposit to guarantee it.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:27 am

Coner,

Where in NC are they located. I have never heard of them. To do a local or intrastate move within NC you have to be registered with the state. I will look into that for you to see if they are indeed registered.

If your moving locally they should be charging you an hourly rate plus an hour travel time. You should have them out to your house to do a survey to give you a better idea of what the time and cost may be. If they cant do a survey and offer you to do your own inventory then I wouldnt move with them.

Moving on a Saturday is generally going to be more expensive then on a weekday.

There are plenty of decent companies in the Raleigh Durham area. I would suggest calling Excel (Allied), Security (Atlas), and Armstrong (United) for quotes.

I was not aware that Movin on Movers didnt due weekends.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:37 am

Here's what I found:

T-4329 MARRINS' MOVING SYSTEMS, LTD SUITE 108
400 DOMINION DRIVE MORRISVILLE, NC 27560 212-575-0788

http://ncuc.commerce.state.nc.us/cgi-bi ... ect=Select

They are regulated by the state but I have never heard of them. What I dont like is they dont have a local number.

Here's what I found at the BBB.

Original Business Start Date: January 1997
Local Start Date: May 2006
Principal: Mr. Robert Marrin, Vice President
Customer Contact: Mr. Robert Marrin, Vice President - (919) 469-1488
Email Address: nc@marrinsmoving.com
Entity: LTD
Incorporated: May 2006, NY
Employees: 6
TOB Classification: Movers, Moving / Storage Companies, Storage-Household & Commercial
BBB Membership: This company is a member.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record
BBB Definition:

satisfactory record - A business identified in our report as satisfactory has, based on Bureau files, been in business for at least one year, and has voluntarily provided the Bureau with all information requested about the business and its product or service. If any complaints have been received about the business, their number has not been considered by the BBB to be extreme, given the nature of the company's business and the volume of business transacted. Complaints are also generally typical of what might be expected for this type of business. A business stated to be satisfactory has not been the subject of any recent law enforcement actions concerning its dealings with the public. If the business has been contacted by the BBB about its advertising or selling claims, it has modified or substantiated its practices to the Bureau's satisfaction. In addition, the BBB has a clear understanding of the company's business, and the business is not in an industry which has raised significant marketplace concerns.

I find it funny they give them a satisfactory record even though they havent been in business locally for 1 year. Which according to the BBB that is how a satisfactory record is established.

Personally, they havent been around long enough to trust. Go drive by their facility. Go inside. Take a look. Its not to far from you.
Michael

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:43 am

Ok and last comment, now that I visited their website. I have seen their trucks here and there around town. All bobtails with the white truck and black spots, like a cow.

I dont know crap about them personally other then what I have just posted. But I think there are other companies that have been around longer that I would trust first.

If you dont have a choice. Get the quote in writing. Decide on your valuation and make sure that is in your quote. Visit their operation. Its a small company.

Best of luck,
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:53 pm

conner,

There has actually been a lot of discussion of their New York branch here although I haven't included them in the Superlist as yet. You can see it if you search on Marrin's here (not Marrin). Here is one thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3767 They seem to have good comments for local moves.

They must have just recently expanded from the Bronx to North Carolina. A lot of NYC movers spend time in the warmer southeastern states in the winter so this expansion may be an outgrowth of that. I feel that you will probably be OK with them, but did you call Truckin' Movers as I suggested?

Also, I'll update the info on TROSA (has an interstate license) and Movin' On Movers (doesn't work on weekends) in my Superlist. Thanks for this information.
Diane

Return to “Open Community”