Questions from consumer who wants to move from FL to NH

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Questions from consumer who wants to move from FL to NH

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:00 pm

Just want to first say what a great site this is. I read plenty of great info to get me started on finding a mover to take my furniture from Miramar FL to Hanover NH. Unfortunately, it has been very difficult to find a reputable mover based on scanning the safersys info and the criteria described in the article on this site. I have a few questions regarding the search:

- I noticed when checking the insurance info, there is a Blanket company name that is almost always different than from the actual moving company. Is this a cause for concern?

- What "gotchas" should I be aware of when looking at the Active/Pending Insurance, Rejected Insurance, Insurance History, Authority History, Pending Application, and Revocation?

- I just finished trying to get some info for a moving company named Golden Glove Moving & Storage and they told me that they were not allowed to give me the DOT# over the phone but that I could call Consumer Affairs to verify the info. This immediately made me skeptical and I scratched them off my list. Was I right to eliminate them? Is it a cause for concern if the company tells me they have the appropriate licenses but cannot provide the info over the phone?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but I really want to get this right based on all the horror stories I have already read.

Thanks!

Michael

Re: Questions from consumer who wants to move from FL to NH

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:12 pm

Guest,

The best way not to get scammed is to not select movers from the internet, from internet sites like 123moving.com, from movers who wont come out to your home.

I would recommend you contact majors to get quotes from, those include, United, North American, Allied, Atlas, Bekins, Mayflower, Graebel, Wheaton and Paul Arpin. I would recommend you keep it to three quotes. If they are way off base in relation to one another, then yes, get a fourth.

Keep in mind, selecting a major in no way mean's you cant be scammed, but it greatly reduces your chances. I recommend you find these agents from their parent companies web site and do an agent search. That way you can be assured they represent that particular company.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:21 pm

Anonymous wrote:Just want to first say what a great site this is.

Just curious--how did you hear about this site? Two people going to Hanover, NH showing up in one day seems a bit of a coincidence! Did you hear about it on www.studentdoctor.net, by chance?

I noticed when checking the insurance info, there is a Blanket company name that is almost always different than from the actual moving company. Is this a cause for concern?

Not a cause for concern. Others will explain further. Just trust me on this.

What "gotchas" should I be aware of when looking at the Active/Pending Insurance, Rejected Insurance, Insurance History, Authority History, Pending Application, and Revocation?

All could be relevant at times, but to me the most important things are that a company should have "Common" authority and it should not have recent license revocations. Brief revocations three years ago or more are probably OK. They may reflect problems with the company's insurance not getting officially updated on government databases.

Was I right to eliminate them?
Absolutely. Do not go with any company that tells you it has the appropriate licenses but cannot provide the info over the phone. Golden Glove almost certainly IS a scammer or at least dubious (they often have names like that). You can sometimes find the MC or DOT number by inputting the company name on Google and then the numbers will often come up on a link. Or you can try inputting the name directly on safersys.org. Try "Glove."

Hope this helps.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:01 pm

No record under wither Safersys or L&I for GOlden Glove, Golden, Glove, etc. Sunbiz shows some yummy info, though. Seems Golden Glove Moving & Storage has been around since 12-5-02, at the address of 1919 N.W. 19TH STREET FORT LAUDERDALE FL 33311, Luz Gizel Arana, president. The first form visible for this corp is a name change documetn on 12-5-02. Coincidentally, there's another entry for a Golden Glove Moving 7 Storage that also changed it's name on 12-5-02, filed at the exact same minute as the firt one. This older Golden Glove, which dissapeared after the name change, began in 1996 under the name of Del's J & M Trucking, John & Michele Delgado, owners. Only the original filing contains this name, the subsequent filings all call themselves Golden Glove Moving & Storage, even though they didn't officially change their name until 2002. Seems Luz bought the company and moved to Fort Lauderdale/ Hollywood. A reverse lookup for the phone number shows it's registered to GGM&S in Hollywood, but no further info is given. Ther's no BBB report, and a Google search shows only one entry, with only a name and phone number listing for movers in FL.

LOOOOOONG story short, they didn't give you their DOT number because they don't have one. No License. Which website did you find them on, please?

Ooooh, more fun stuff! Guess what other moving companies reside at 1919 N.W. 19TH STREET?

:arrow: Sureway
:arrow: American Eagle Van Line, Inc
:arrow: 4 Seas International Shipping, Inc.
:arrow: American Van Lines
:arrow: Lincoln Moving & Storage

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:30 pm

Thanks Michael. I'll find the local agents for each of these companies and post which ones I will be targeting.

[quote="Michael"]Guest,

I would recommend you contact majors to get quotes from, those include, United, North American, Allied, Atlas, Bekins, Mayflower, Graebel, Wheaton and Paul Arpin. I would recommend you keep it to three quotes. If they are way off base in relation to one another, then yes, get a fourth.

quote]

IMP

Postby IMP » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:31 pm

It's always fun when MM and Diane get excited to find a new mover at an old address!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:32 pm

Yep . . . and American Eagle is a big catch, just like Discount Moving Network!

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:35 pm

Just curious--how did you hear about this site? Two people going to Hanover, NH showing up in one day seems a bit of a coincidence! Did you hear about it on www.studentdoctor.net, by chance?

Definitely a coincidence. I had a preliminary list of movers and I googled each one of them. One of the movers came up on this message board and I started looking at the rest of the site and couldn't stop reading.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:39 pm

You'll find that it's extremely addictive (look at the number of posts I have and go blind). In fact, we're planning "MovingScam: The Movie" if you're interested in a bit part. Sort of a blend of Blair Witch Project and Fahrenheit 9/11.

IMP

Postby IMP » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:41 pm

This is my own personal ALERT:

Warning - this site can be addictive! You will learn much, so grab a cup of coffee and a comfy chair and click away. If you have info to add that is helpful - please do so as constructively as possible. If you've had a bad experience or feel like you're in the middle of one, post a question, the kind folks here will do everything possible to help you. If you'vd had a good experience, please share that too because someone else might be in your shoes someday and might be able to use your experiences. But please no advertising! Thanks for stopping by!

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:52 pm

LOOOOOONG story short, they didn't give you their DOT number because they don't have one. No License. Which website did you find them on, please?

Ooooh, more fun stuff! Guess what other moving companies reside at 1919 N.W. 19TH STREET?

Sureway
American Eagle Van Line, Inc
4 Seas International Shipping, Inc.
American Van Lines
Lincoln Moving & Storage

Funny because Sureway was on my list and I eliminated them early in my search. Little did I know....I found out about Golden Glove through an ad I received in the mail. Since I've put my house for sale, I have received plenty of ads from different movers so I began to google each one of them. None have panned out. Either their "blacklisted" here or on movingadvocateteam.com or they were on ripoffreport.com or they didn't pass the safersys "test". So, I will continue my search in the yellow pages.

I have found another alternative based on a post I read yesterday about someone moving to denver from miami. I have located a moving company in the town where I am moving to. Daniels Moving and Storage, DOT#602748, seem legit so far. They are a local agent for Wheaton. I am going to call them tomorrow to see if the can get the Wheaton agent here in South Florida to do the in-home estimate. I'm assuming this is how it would work since Daniels is based in NH. To all on this msg board, let me know if this sounds like a viable alternative.

One other question. I need to start packing. Any recommendations on best deals for boxes? I was looking at Uhaul or AllBoxes Direct.

Thanks to all for the prompt response!

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:03 am

Guest,

Sometimes the local agent can sell or give you "used" boxes. And most if not all of the time you can buy boxes, tape, paper from the local agent and it is sometimes cheaper to do so then going to U-Haul. But I always recommend pricing all the companies out for their material.

Best of luck
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:32 am

Boxes have been discussed lately, let's see if I remember the stuff correctly.

Michael already mentioned the used boxes from movers. I know that book stores will happily give away boxes, but you have to collect them once a week over time. Borders gets their shipments on Tuedsays, so go in in the afternoon and ask for as many as they can give you. They're about 8" x 14" x 24", and sturdy. Many, uniform boxes are great for stacking heavy things. Barnes & Noble tosses their boxes as soon as they're done, so you either have to dive into their recycling bin, or ask them to hold them for you. Do not go for grocery store boxes, they're often meant to be used once, and the produce boxes can have bugs. Walmart reuses theirs, so they won't give you any.

There are moving supply companies that sell in bulk, if you have a lot of things. I bet there's one somewhere in Miami, ask a local company where they get their boxes.

mck3a

Postby mck3a » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:01 pm

Diane wrote:Just curious--how did you hear about this site? Two people going to Hanover, NH showing up in one day seems a bit of a coincidence! Did you hear about it on www.studentdoctor.net, by chance?

I presume I'm the other NH guy you're talking about. I found the site when someone else posted it on another message board related to business school (and my wife read about it in People, I think). Apparently "Guest" and I are going to be classmates. The fear of shameful movers brings people together, I guess.

MovingSoonInFLA2007

Postby MovingSoonInFLA2007 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:47 pm

I took a look at the BBB and http://www.sunbiz.org with regard to Sureway Moving and Storage, Inc. The BBB seemed to be fine with very few complaints, etc. Sunbiz had two listings: one was Sureway M & S, Inc. and the other SM&S of south Florida, Inc. The later is apparently the same company, but inactive. It seems it is now owned by Mr. Robert Buto and his wife since 1998.

Has anyone else dealt directly with either person? I have spoken with him a couple of times this week and was actually impressed with how up front he was with regards to what I should be looking for in a mover, various charges, etc. whether I opted to go with his company or not. He has agreed to put everything in detail and in writing. He was not the cheapest, but just under some of the majors like Allied and United... and he SEEMS very on the level so to speak.

I am planning to move within Florida, just across state, on March 1st. Mr. Buto went into a lot of detail as to the services and associated costs that his company would provide me. I was curious as to what anyone else might think on this matter. :?

Return to “Open Community”