Educated Movers in New Haven

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
SusannaT

Educated Movers in New Haven

Postby SusannaT » Tue May 17, 2005 1:07 pm

Hi there. I sent a message to Diane, since I had seen her posts from a year ago about the possibility of moving with Alain at Educated Movers in New Haven. She suggested I come on the forum and shar my experiences, so here I am.

I have hired Alain to move my stuff from New Haven to DC with a stop in North Jersey, and he gave me very fair price: $1500 including all stops and everything. However, I am nervous about insurance. He is a very small operation, and says he has insurance both through the Budget trucks he rents and on his own. But when pressed further, it seems that if there is any sort of problem, he prefers to pay me cash, so as not to drive up his insurance rates. It's understandable, but how shady is this, in your experience?

As to the safety of my furniture, I think I'll have to keep a sharp eye on how many blankets he uses. I'll let everyone know how it goes. He is certainly a personable guy, and gave me references who siad he was reliable.

Diane

Re: Educated Movers in New Haven

Postby Diane » Tue May 17, 2005 2:47 pm

This price seems low to me for such a move. How much stuff do you have, Susanna?

I would be willing to bet that Alain isn't licensed to do interstate moves.

SusannaT

Postby SusannaT » Tue May 17, 2005 3:18 pm

I don't have all that much stuff--the equivalent of a small 1BR apartment. You may well be right that he's not liscenced, but he's flexible and cheap, which I need. Also I got refernces from him that said he was very reliable.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 17, 2005 3:26 pm

OK, but remember that "Erin" posted that a lot of her stuff got banged up in a Movex move when Alain loaded them without moving blankets. Just saying. I know that a LOT of people in and around NYC move with unlicensed, uninsured movers. For example, look at this article by Joyce Cohen called "Checking Out That Man With a Van" published in the NYTimes on May 12 - http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/12/garden/12move.html?

Here is what one website featured in Joyce's article - www.citimove.com - has to say about using unlicensed, uninsured movers:

Citimove does not have the resources to investigate movers and determine whether they have valid credentials. Instead Citimove looks to the community, to people just like yourself who are submitting reviews, to determine whether movers are reputable or not. Citimove provides the format for movers to enter their license information. If a mover does not enter this information, it should be assumed that the mover IS NOT LICENSED or insured. Citimove clearly has disclaimers in it's terms of use that it is not responsible for any information posted by the customer or mover. Even if a license is provided, it is your responsibility to look up their information and see if they have provided a valid license. Citimove aims to provide you with the means to make an informed decision, the rest of the choice is yours.

. . . Unless it is specifically stated in their description, assume the mover does not have insurance. If they had it, it would be mentioned. Is that a bad thing? Well, if you're moving a very expensive projection television or a piano, you MAY be better off with an insured mover. However, insured movers may charge more to account for their insurance premiums. See what prices you can get. The decision is yours. A majority of moves in NY, NJ, and CT are actually uninsured. Some customers feel that making a claim against an insured mover is just as difficult. Most movers are reasonable and will pay for damaged items. Especially small movers, who cannot afford advertising and depend on word of mouth. Remember, if they don't pay, you can now put up a bad review on CitiMove. They will lose a lot more by not paying you

Postby 23 » Tue May 17, 2005 3:48 pm

I have a huge problem with these cheap unlicensed and uninsured movers.

There is a reason you got a rate of $1500, because he doesn't have to pay all of the expenses us licensed and insured movers have to pay.

It's scum like this that are almost as bad as the rogue movers ripping people off daily.

I sure hope your shipment doesn't get lost in a fire or stolen from a rental truck. I have a feeling it might be hard for him to come up with $25,000 to replace your belongings.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue May 17, 2005 6:46 pm

I will say this. On the dateline story that I gave the young lady a quote for her move from Raleigh, NC to New Jersey (I forget where) and all be it, two years ago, her quote was for 2100 pounds and $1572.00.

So New Haven to Dc with an extra stop of $1500 doesnt sound that bad.

My quote two years ago would probably be somewhere around 1666.00 today.

And I think to take cash under the table protects the mover in this case, from how you mentioned, which in my opinion is not good business sense for you.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

burnt

Postby burnt » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:21 pm

Ask to see, oh....the CT License to drive just automobiles of the people in the moving truck cab, before you let this company move you. Alain does not have one and should not drive truck, or any other vehicle. And you might call the New Haven Police to ask about outstanding arrest warrants as well.
Good luck...a consumer wiser from the experience

SusannaT wrote:Hi there. I sent a message to Diane, since I had seen her posts from a year ago about the possibility of moving with Alain at Educated Movers in New Haven. She suggested I come on the forum and shar my experiences, so here I am.

I have hired Alain to move my stuff from New Haven to DC with a stop in North Jersey, and he gave me very fair price: $1500 including all stops and everything. However, I am nervous about insurance. He is a very small operation, and says he has insurance both through the Budget trucks he rents and on his own. But when pressed further, it seems that if there is any sort of problem, he prefers to pay me cash, so as not to drive up his insurance rates. It's understandable, but how shady is this, in your experience?

As to the safety of my furniture, I think I'll have to keep a sharp eye on how many blankets he uses. I'll let everyone know how it goes. He is certainly a personable guy, and gave me references who siad he was reliable.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:37 pm

Thanks - I added this information (although it is vague) to my Superlist linked to below.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:50 pm

BTW- I haven't been able to find a license, through either the DOT or FMCSA, for a CT company with "Educated" in the name.

Return to “Open Community”