California New York Express Moving Services

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ishsurf

California New York Express Moving Services

Postby ishsurf » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:36 pm

www.moveeast.com
Has anyone ever used this company? I thought the price was great, then I came across this site, and realized it might be a scam. They gave me a quote based on cubic feet.

MusicMom

Re: California New York Express Moving Services

Postby MusicMom » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:35 pm

I'm afraid so, dear.

What were the terms of their quote? Per cubic foot, per total load, timeframe for delivery, things like that?

I'd suggest starting over by reading the article at the top left of this page, with the 8) . Then, browse through the Superlist and book two or three movers close to you to come and view the load to be moved.

Here's why:
Also, Cubic Feet estimates are ONLY legal for interstate moves in Binding Estimates. The major loophole with Binding Estimates is that they are only binding if your stuff was viewed by a company employee, and just about all BEs that result in scam moves were done by online inventories provided by the customer, leaving the mover open to "un-bind" the estimate and charge whatever they feel like.

Do you see why I push in-home visits by employees?

Try and get a Guranteed Not To Exceed estimate, if they'll do one. Next best is Binding.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:50 pm

Search on the name in quotation marks to see many bad remarks about this company. For example, here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1049 DO NOT USE.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:57 pm

These guys are a bunch of arrogant, obnoxious, difficult to deal with people. DO NOT USE THEM.

They LOST valuable electronics worth over $1000.00. They want to offer me an $18 claim.

When you try to talk to them they are evasive, rude, and act like they could care less.

I paid for stuff to be crated, and it was never crated and damaged. Dresser arrived scratched, some boxes never made it, and half my dishes were broken (after being wrapped in bubble wrap, and dishpacks).

These guys are hacks. Don't use them. You get what you pay for. Good luck.

cheakamustom

Postby cheakamustom » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:31 am

Hi--we used California / New York Express (www.moveeast.com) for a move this summer from NYC to San Fran, and were actually very happy with our move and the price. For our small move, they ended up being about the same price as an ABF terminal-terminal move with storage at the far end. Not to take away from the bad experiences others have had, but I thought I'd share my story just because it worked out well for us, and I think people preparing to move need to hear that, while there are scammers out there, sometimes it all just works out fine...

Their rep came to our apt in NYC on short notice for an on-site quote, which was $4.30/cubic foot for about 250 cu.ft. (+5% gas surcharge, +tax). We had packed everything ourselves... They arrived for the actual move job on time with 3 movers, who worked really fast. They were in a 'California/New York Express' branded truck. This was our first full-service move (work was subsidizing it :) ), and I can't tell you how much nicer it was than hauling our crap in vans to a container in NJ would have been (can't have containers delivered to our street in NYC).

We ended up adding a lot more stuff than anticipated on the move day, which they took at the same rate / cu ft. They measured the actual volume our stuff occupied when packed tight into their truck. We had given them a $150 deposit, and paid 50% of the balance up front ($850) and %50 on delivery. We got status emails sent to us every couple days while the stuff was in transit saying what state the truck was in. Storage was an extra $200 or so. We also ended up tipping about $150 at each end, if I remember correctly. So absolute all-in, tips inclued total price was about $2400 for about 400 cu.ft of stuff + 2mo storage.

One of the reasons we had chosen them was because they included 30days free storage at the far end. As it turns out, between doing some traveling and delays getting into our new place, we needed our stuff stored for more like 10 weeks. A really nice thing happened: they pro-rated the monthly storage fee, to $5.48/day (I just checked), rather than charging us in 30-day blocks. At this point, they had our stuff, had our signature on a contract that didn't mention this, and did the thing that was cheaper for us. This is the kind of situation you would expect a scammer to live for, but they did right by us.

We didn't move (because we don't have) any antiques or really large furniture pieces, but we did move a couple desks, plenty of electronics, dishes, framed pictures, etc. A flimsy $10 door mirror broke (why did I think that was worth shipping???), as did the glass on one 'frameless' picture frame, but I had taped those with masking tape. A beloved cast-iron pot had chipped enamel, but nothing else that I can remember broke or showed evidence of careless handling.

Overall, it went about as well as we could have wished for, and was really reasonably priced for our small move, when you include all the labor at both ends. I would note that compared to other 'scam' movers, which have 'F' or 'D' BBB ratings, CA/NY Express gets a 'BB' rating from the Los Angeles BBB. So I suspect they really are in a different class. In case you are concerned that this is a fake review, I'll try to set up my profile so you can email me, and I'll write you back from my real work email address so you can confirm that I'm a real person!

Good luck! -Tom

cheakamustom

Postby cheakamustom » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:48 am

Actually, don't want to post my email for all (bots) to see--just PM me and I'll write you back...

cheakamustom

Postby cheakamustom » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:56 am

Just looked at my ABF U-pack quote for this move, which was $1902 for 5 linear feet of trailer (plus $70/linear foot) from Carlstatd, NJ -> Oakland CA terminals + $395/mo storage (not prorated), so would have been >$3000, not including my truck rentals at both ends or any labor! Now I really feel like I got a deal... ;)

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:31 am

Wow, there's just so many things wrong with this scenario. Let's look at them one by one:

Their rep came to our apt in NYC on short notice for an on-site quote, which was $4.30/cubic foot for about 250 cu.ft. (+5% gas surcharge, +tax).

By estimating in cubic feet instead of weight, you set yourself up for the whole "Whoops, you added things and now your price goes up". You claim that you did add things, and your price did go up, but it was at the same rate.

We ended up adding a lot more stuff than anticipated on the move day, which they took at the same rate / cu ft.

We had given them a $150 deposit, and paid 50% of the balance up front ($850) and %50 on delivery.

Here's the next sign of a problem. For the most part, legitimate movers do not require a deposit, nor paying part of the balance upfront, unless you pay with a credit card.

We got status emails sent to us every couple days while the stuff was in transit saying what state the truck was in.

I've never heard of this before.

One of the reasons we had chosen them was because they included 30days free storage at the far end.

This is something we warn people against, most legitimate movers do not "include 30 days free storage". This just isn't profitable for them.

This whole story is either a load of poo, or you got extremely lucky. Actually, lucky isn't quite magical enough for this situation. There were red flags all over the place and not once did anything go wrong.

Most people do not come to this website after the fact, and report a good move.

We will still continue to tell people not to use this company. The bad definitely outweighs the good in this matter.

cheakamustom

Postby cheakamustom » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:49 pm

So the upshot is that you don't believe that this really happened to me? Maybe you think I'm a shill for the moving company? I offered in my first email to respond to a PM about this, and the offer still stands. I was a grad student in Boston, and moved to SF with my girlfriend when she started a new job at the hospital here. I have no financial interest in any moving company.

I came to the site because I happened upon a link in someone's blog complaining about a different mover (Vivo Van Lines of Allston, MA, now defunct), and looked up the company we used a few months ago, out of curiosity. When I saw that people only had reported bad experiences, I thought I'd write up my good one. Just as it's important to complain publicly when things go wrong, I think it's important for all the same reasons to give companies kudos when they do well.

Your point that there were lots of red flags, but that nothing went wrong, is exactly why I bothered to write my post: this company had every opportunity to screw us over, but didn't.

I am not saying that we didn't just 'get lucky', or that you should change your recommendation--I only used them once, which is hardly a good sample. I don't doubt that others have had problems with them (as I said in my original post). I also appreciate that this site probably is a target for all kinds of fictional posts (both good and bad), and that you have to keep your 'poo'-radar on high alert, but I do think that by immediately trashing any positive reports you get, you are introducing a pretty significant bias into the site. As a thought experiment: if I had written about a company breaking windows and triple-charging for boxes, and driving their trucks through my flower beds, would you have been so quick to imply I was lying?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:28 pm

I was trying to prove you a liar, I was just pointing out that even though you had no problems, your move had enough red flags for anyone else to stay away from using them. We do appreciate your review. Thank you.

cheakamustom

Postby cheakamustom » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:26 pm

Hmmm, well you did write:
This whole story is either a load of poo, or you got extremely lucky. Actually, lucky isn't quite magical enough for this situation.
Socrates is a man... All men are mortal... therefore my review was, ahem, fictional.

In any case, can we talk about the red flags you pointed out? (references to other posts welcome)...

*I've now read the sticky on cubic-foot vs. weight measurements, and I see how this method can be used by scammers, but is it in itself strongly indicative of a scam? I.e. should one always run screaming from such an estimate?

*The $150 deposit after we'd agreed to use them as our movers was really the least of my worries. I wasn't worried that they were going to disappear--I had a receipt and knew their phone number, and I can understand that they don't want to get stood up by a customer who has found a better deal and not bothered to cancel.

*Paying 50% in advance I was a little uneasy about, but then again, they already had my stuff, worth well more than that to me, so I didn't feel like I was putting much extra at risk (And yes, we did pay by credit card, so we always had the option of disputing the charges if, e.g. our things never arrived.)

*The status emails were quite a nice touch, I thought, and not something that aroused suspicion. They seemed like they were auto-generated.

*Bundling of a move with storage seems like a great business move (as they can do it much more cheaply than the consumer could otherwise). Why does movingscam advise against this? It certainly was the thing that made the sale with us, so in the worst case maybe it's a loss leader for the company.

Basically, after doing a little more reading I find myself with quite a few reservations about this board. I don't think there's any way to get around the apparent conflict of interest introduced by endorsing companies that pay you referral fees. In particular, I have to wonder whether my dissing of ABF (who incidentally require a deposit, and offer storage at the far end for a fee) was related to the bad response I got to my review. They treated us well, and do seem like they offer a nice service, but the ~$2000 minimum for NY-SF means that they just aren't as competitive for very small moves, especially where the move must be terminal-to-terminal.

As a source of information about what can go wrong, and how, I think this board seems like a great resource, but any site that relies on user-generated reviews needs to have impartiality as its watchword, and movingscam seems to have fallen down hard on this one.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:42 pm

Hello - I believe that your review is legitimate and we do thank you for posting it. Farrah was simply trying to prevent other consumers from thinking that they would necessarily have an experience as good as the one that you apparently had. There are many red flags, as you yourself acknowledge. Bad reviews of CNYX on this board and elsewhere far outnumber your good one. Our mission here is first and foremost to protect consumers. When there are other companies around that have good reviews and few or no BBB complaints, we don't want people to take unnecessary risks.

One of the things that alarms me personally is this statement on the company's website at www.moveeast.com:
If we cannot service your area, we will have other reputable companies contact you through our affiliate, vanlines.com

Vanlines.com provides leads to many dubious companies - this has been discussed here many times. If CNYX is linked to vanlines.com and will ask vanlines.com to supply a moving company, to me that is one more BIG reason not to use them.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

cheakamustom

Postby cheakamustom » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:22 pm

Thanks.

Isn't the opposite also a problem--that complaint sites like this one give consumers the impression that they *will* be scammed, when in fact there are plenty of 'pretty good' (and sometimes quite cheap) companies out there? Of course if more people take proper precautions when getting quotes, well, there's no downside to that.

It sure would be nice to have some statistics on these things. Are we talking 99% vs 99.9% satisfaction? or 65% vs. 95%? (Sorry this has gone so far OT; pointers to other threads happily accepted.)

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:53 pm

Actually, I didn't even see your response about ABF until after posting my response. We don't always recommend our endorsed companies to everyone, if you look around you'll see that. NYC is a perfect example because of so many restrictions. But comparing ABF to a full service moving company is like comparing apples to oranges. They're 2 totally different types of services and you need to have different expectations with each type of service.

My goal here as a moderator (as I see it) is to keep people from getting themselves into a bad situation. It doesn't always happen. No company is perfect and most moves don't go 100% smooth. But on the other hand, I know what it's like to have hired a scam company and to go through the whole process. No one needs to go through that. You may not agree with how we do it, but we've helped numerous people either before they pick a mover or after they chose the wrong one and I'm extremely proud of how we do this.

cheakamustom

Postby cheakamustom » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:44 pm

Well that's sort of the problem of mixing recommendations and business interests: you don't even have to be biased for the level of trust to be affected. Anyhow, I do appreciate the work you're all doing here. I hope my suggestions are taken in a constructive spirit... -Tom

Return to “Open Community”