Any info on Isaacs Relocation Services from SF

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Moving from SF

Re: Any info on Isaacs Relocation Services from SF

Postby Moving from SF » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:18 pm

Diane said:
When you have so many other companies to choose from, I wouldn't go with a questionable company.

Diane, please help me. Can you suggest a few companies that are okay?

Our Situation:
We are moving from SF to the midwest. We don't have much stuff, and nothing is really valuable, but it's our stuff...

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:27 pm

OK, has anyone done an in-house estimate? Do you have any idea how much stuff you have in terms of number of pounds? And where are you moving to, exactly? And would you consider a U-Pack, We-Drive move?

With just the information you've given me, I would strongly suggest that you call both Moovers, Inc. and Delancey Street Movers if you want a full-service mover. Both of them are located in your area and both have rave reviews here. The only problem is that they may not have a truck going at the exact time you want to move, but you could call them tomorrow to see.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377 (Delancey)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655 (Moovers)

In making this suggestion, I'm assuming that you want to keep the cost down. If cost is no object, there are other moving companies I can suggest in your area.

Moving from SF

Postby Moving from SF » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:51 pm

We have a quote with 2900 lbs from Isaac's... Not much furniture. Mostly clothes, books, CDs, and kitchen stuff.

We would consider a "we pack" & "you move".

We are moving to Colorado.

Thanks for any help and suggestions. It's truly greatly appreciated.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:59 pm

Hi - if you would consider a U-Pack move, here is an illustrated brochure on Broadway Express and there are 187 mostly rave reviews on a sticky at the top of the messageboard.

http://www.movingscam.com/images/offsit ... s-0102.pdf

If you do have 2900 pounds (which may not be true) that is about 7 feet in a Broadway Express trailer and the cost would be $1634 to move it from SF to Colorado. Then you would want to hire the driver for about $30/hour to help load and you would also need extra loaders both in SF and in CO. You could get helpers from either Delancey or Moovers, I think, and then use LaborReady.com workers in CO, or we might have other suggestions depending on where you're moving to. In any case, your total cost should be around $1900 but you will do much more work than with a full-service mover.

One caution - Broadway Express normally has a 10-linear-foot minimum and it will be reinstated on April 1st. But if you book now I think they would honor a quote for 7 feet. You should go to their website at www.broadwayexpress.net and use their space estimator tool to get a clearer picture of how much space you would need. If you need 6 feet they charge you for 7 and if you need 8 or 9 feet they charge you for 10. Five feet is the current minimum.

marcstober

Postby marcstober » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:24 pm

Maybe things have changed since 2003 but what are the "lot of full service movers in MA" that I can choose from instead?

Isaac's has a new facility in Allston/Brighton (neighborhood of Boston) a couple miles from where we are moving from in Brookline. There are permanent signs on the building and marked trucks. I do remember their Newton facility as well, it was visible from the Mass. Pike. Based on the advice on this site, I checked their federal motor carrier license, and no red flags based on the criteria in your article. They have a Mass. DTE license number posted on their web site, although I don't see a way too look these up on mass.gov (kinda surprising since other Massachusetts agencies have license lookups, but DTE does regulate movers - maybe I will call them). They came and did an in-home estimate for us.

None of this proves they are reputable, but what's better? There is Gentle Giant which everyone seems to use, but there must be more than one decent moving company in Boston. We put a couple unanswered calls into Brookline Moving.

By the way, we are looking for local (Brookline to Newton) move, so I can't speak about interstate moving.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:03 pm

Hi - companies can sometimes be OK for local moves like yours and not OK for interstate moves. The person who started this thread was asking about a long-distance move. Isaac's might be OK for your move, but in my opinion Gentle Giant would be a safer choice. Here is a link to my summary post on what has been said here about MA moving companies. Local movers are discussed at the end - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7014#47014

quack

Postby quack » Thu May 04, 2006 3:54 pm

move from SF to NY ith Isaacs aka super movers. They destroyed everything I owned by leaving it out in the rain at some point during transport. someone else call quick transportation delivered it using threatening hostage situation if truck wasn't met.
I didn't hire quick transportation if this tells you anything.

I-95

Postby I-95 » Thu May 04, 2006 9:35 pm

Diane you are way of base here.
Isaac's in BOSTON is a very good moving company both for local and long distance. By long distance I mean moving blue birds to Florida.
I have never worked for or with them, and dont no anybody who does. But I do no they have an excellent rep in the area.
I cant say anything about all the other Isaacs related or not.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 04, 2006 11:40 pm

You may be right, I-95, but on this website we always err on the side of caution because we are trying to protect consumers first and foremost. I was struck by the fact that "fluoresce" in Boston posted above, "I asked my Isaac's agent from today if there were any other offices and he said Philly and CA, so they are all related, according to him." Well, we know that the one in CA is dubious. Also, someone posted that a former employee of Isaac's in Boston (Aaron Robilotto, mentioned above) had a bad move himself when Isaac's brokered out his move to CA and the second company lost some of his stuff - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 2030#52030 I just think it is better for people to use a more clearly reputable company for a long-distance move. I think Isaac's in Boston is fine for local moves.

Postby Guest » Fri May 05, 2006 11:41 pm

Cant argue with that, alway better safe than sorry!

Aaron-G

Postby Aaron-G » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:05 pm

So I guess I should relate my experience. In December of 2005, I started my moveplans from Philadelphia to Santa Cruz. I was originally going to take a uhaul and just tow my car, but I found Isaac's and was quoted a much lower rate, so like an idiot I went for it. My original over the phone description of my stuff to them quoted $1500 for the move (estimated 1200lbs). Once they had seen the stuff and loaded it, the quote was closer to $2000 (1700 lbs), which was still within my budget.

So I go racing across the country to meet my stuff in Santa Cruz, and wait.. and wait..

My stuff shows up almost a full week later, with a call from the driver. Now, my new house is up in the Santa Cruz mountains.. I had warned the company about this, and even offered to meet them somewhere a little easier to get to with a small boxtruck to get my stuff. Sure enough, they tried to bring a 52 foot semi up the mountain roads and got the truck stuck. My housemate, who was a volunteer firefighter, had to guide the truck back down into town.

After this whole fiasco, we finally get both trucks into a Costco parking lot to move everything over, and the driver requests the rest of the money. (I had paid 40% of the estimate) but when he showed me the amount, it was almost $3300!

I requested an explaination, and he said my stuff weighed almost 4000lbs! When I asked for weight tickets, he pulled out a notepad with numbers scribbled in in pencil, that stated a full sleeper cab and 51' moving trailer weighed 16,000lbs empty (they weigh closer to 18-19,000).

So I reluctantly went back to the driver, and asked if I could write a check. He informed me that no, he could only take cash. More red flags.

At that point, I decided my stuff wasn't worth that much, and left it with the driver. Thankfully I had taken everything of value with me in my car, so all I lost was some books, some clothing, and furnature..

In hindsight, I should have called the sherrif down, or pressed charges. A year later, I think its too late for that. Oh well.

Oh and I called my credit card company, and had them reverse the initial %40 charge, getting all my money back, due to violation of contract. (The contract I signed said the amount wouldn't go more than 10% over the estimate)

So.. Thats my Isaac's story, may it warn others away!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:39 pm

I'd say "watch out, they could sic a collections agent on you", but to do that they'd have to be able to legally prove how much your load weighed, and therefore what the final price was. A scribble in a notebook doesn't count, there are 6 specific requirements that must ALL be met in order to be considered a Certified Weight Ticket. They shot themselves in the collective foot there.

And if they went back after you left them to try to weigh it and pass it off as a before-delivery weight, you'd see the date discrepancy.

It's a shame that you had to give up all of your stuff, valuable or no, because now you have to go through the trouble of replacing it.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:54 pm

MM, it's already been a year since this has happened, so I'm PRETTY sure they've already replaced things. :wink:

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:02 pm

Picky, picky! :P

Return to “Open Community”