San Francisco to New York

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
BigLeeCalif

Re: San Francisco to New York

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:34 am

Good Lord Diane..... I thought I was the earlybird....

Goldenbear, I'm surprised that on two occasions as reported here Allied has inflated the box count. It almost sounds like the estimator isn't sure of the calculations of boxes and how to change density based on possible contents.

If you want clarification, maybe call another Allied agent and ask them to give you an estimate, and compare the two.

Rossiter should be ok if you select them.. Their main office is in Livermore, wih another office in Menlo Park.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and if there are questions they won't answer, just pm or email me, since I am familiar with United policies.

Lee

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:10 am

It's insomnia, Lee . . . worrying about who is attacking me now . . . :wink:

Regarding Allied (Nor-Cal), a person named Sheryl also reported on this website that they gave her a very high estimate for her shipment--15,000 pounds vs. 10,200 from Rossiter. She noted that the sales rep wasn't using any kind of computer program but was just writing things down the old-fashioned way. But it's hard for me to see why a company would intentionally estimate high, because who would then choose them? Anyway, this is not the Allied agent that Will is dealing with.

GoldenBear

Postby GoldenBear » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:35 am

Thanks Lee and Diane. I'm glad that I have you guys to watch out for me, even on early Saturday morning... :wink:

For now, I'm going to go with United. I'm still keeping Broadway Express in the back of my mind if I can figure out how to handle the shuttle thing from my place and hire day help in SF and in NY to move my stuff into the truck.

I will keep you guys posted, hopefully just on the progress and not issues that pop up.

Will

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:30 pm

If you are still thinking of doing the Broadway Express type of move, ask Rossiter to explain the United valuemove program.. it is very similar to BE.

Lee

GoldenBear

Postby GoldenBear » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:35 pm

Hi BigLeeCalifornia and Diane,

So the big day is tomorrow 3/19. The drivers are scheduled to arrive between 9am - 11am. I have just a couple outstanding questions...

How does the weighing work? Since my street is inaccessible by the large tractor-trailers, Rossiter Relocation (United agent) is sending out a shuttle. They said they'll weigh the truck before they come out and then weigh it back at the warehouse when the truck returns.

Is what they describe the way it's done for shuttle weighings? Can I trust the scale back at the warehouse?

Lastly, if a dispute somehow pops up on how much stuff I have, how do I resolve it?

Thanks so much!

Josh

Postby Josh » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:20 pm

Bear,

Glad to hear from you again.

Here's how it will work. They will indeed get weights before they come out tomorrow and will re-weigh it when they get back. You have the right to view the weighings if you wish.

If a dispute comes up, you will be entitled to a free re-weigh at destination. If you request it, the driver will weigh the truck before he delivers (should be close to dest. city) then weigh it again once he unloads.

Lee is out with a tummy ache today, but I will assist with anything you need!

Josh
"A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad."
-Theodore Roosevelt

GoldenBear

Postby GoldenBear » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:34 pm

Josh,

Thanks so much for the reply. So I probably shouldn't be worried that they're using their own scale? Also, how often do people take up on the offer to view the weighings?

Sorry for being so paranoid.

Hope BigLeeCalif feels better...

Will

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:04 pm

Goldenbear,

If your near their office why dont you stop by and see the weighing. Another thing they may do which is perfectly fine is just bring your goods back to the office, off load it into open storage or the drivers truck. The driver of course will laready have the weight of his truck, empty or whatever is on it already, put your goods on it and then weigh it again.

Not sure if that is what Josh said or not or if he was referring to the shuttle truck?

As far as a dispute. A shipment cannot be disputed once it is loaded by the driver. Therefore he cant change his mind half way through load. If he does dispute the weight (if its a binding or binding not to exceed) he has to talk to the booking agent and describe why. He has to have a legit reason in order for the booking agent to accept his request or for United for that matter. He just cant say he thinks it will weigh more. Also keep in mind that United is one of the only companies out there that will fine its drivers for protesting a move and they end up being wrong.

So in essence, there has to be a major problem with the inventory before the driver loads for most drivers to protest. Something originally marked on the inventory as not going is now going, or there is a significant amount more PBO's then estimated.

Does it happen very often, a protest, not at all. Has it happened, yes. In my 14 years, I have had 3 moves protested. One, the driver was wrong, one the shipper tried to ship things marked as not going, and my last one wasnt really a protest as much as a driver requesting(demanding) a shuttle.

Best of luck
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

GoldenBear

Postby GoldenBear » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:57 am

Thanks Michael. One last question - since I'm going to be using shuttles both ways, what is the rule of thumb for tipping the people who load up my stuff and then for people who unload my stuff?

Will

Josh

Postby Josh » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:21 am

Will,

I wouldn't even bother giving them cash unless you are super happy with the service.

I would suggest having cold drinks available for them throughout the day and provide lunch. That always made my day!

Josh
"A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad."
-Theodore Roosevelt

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:04 am

Hey Goldenbear, so today's the big day huh?

Regarding your question about weights, all scales have to be certified by the Calif Dept of Weights and Measurements. We have our own, and they are out at least one every couple of months to check the calibration.

I will be online after 8:30 when i get to work if you have any questions. Don't forget to ask Rossitor to explain the shipment tracking system. If they can't either Josh, Michael, or me can.

I am off to work now.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

GoldenBear

Postby GoldenBear » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:11 pm

A quick update:

So the move date went very smoothly. Since I needed a shuttle, two drivers from Rossiter Relocation Services showed up around 10am. They were very efficient and careful, loading up all my things into the truck in 2 hours. I didn't have that much stuff anyway but I was impressed with how professional they were.

Now the waiting game begins... I just talked to Rossiter Relocation and it seems that my stuff is just being loaded today onto the truck that will be coming to New York. I'm a little frustrated that my stuff has been sitting in their warehouse for a whole week. Can anybody let me know if this is common for a big van line like United? How often does United miss its promised delivery window since the service rep indicated that is now a possibility?

Thanks!

Will

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:53 pm

Will; It's hard to say why or how long your stuff will be at the point of origin, depends on how large the shipment is, and other factors. United usually has a waiting list of empty trucks on the left coast, so they should get it moving quickly. We actually have a couple trucks out there now, but they are loading back to the SE. For long haul like yours (2600 miles) the trucks have to have as much as possible on board to make it profitable. Your load will be part of several other shipments, more than likely. I believe you can trace it thru Uniteds web site, all you need is your registration number, on the top right corner of your bill of lading. IF that doesn't work, give your order number to any of the UVL guys on here (me included)and they can trace it for you.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:04 pm

GoldenBear, why did Rossiter have your stuff sitting for a week?

Are they trying to keep it as a self haul and perhaps building a load for that driver?

What was your final weight? Depending on the size of the shipment, if they don't meet the delivery spread, you might have options...

It is unusual that a van heading East would have to sit so long.. It's usually the otherway around... It has been so slow at times, we've had guys deadhead back to reload here for back East.

If you can pm me, or phone if you like, and give me your order number, I can find out who is scheduled to load it and when....

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:38 pm

Isn't there a requirement that the van line compensate you for missing delivery dates? What does your contract say?
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Return to “Open Community”