Moving 8 miles to another house - Super Movers in California quoted me 790

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
CitznFish

Moving 8 miles to another house - Super Movers in California quoted me 790

Postby CitznFish » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:16 pm

Hello,

I am new here and this looks like a great resource for me!

I am planning on moving next month to a new home. This home is 8 miles from my current home. I have gotten moving quotes from several companies. One that seems good is "Super Movers" in Southern California. Of course I looked them up here and saw that their BBB was a AA and a CC. but now it's a AA and a A on their 2 BBB entries.

Does anyone in SoCal have any experience with them? This is a short move, but I have a lot of heavy arcade machines that are part of the move.

It would be 3 bedrooms, a garage with tool boxes and work benches, kitchen, small dining room, and the games.

their quote is what I was guestimating I would pay, but I've also got quotes as high as $2200.oo

I'd like to use Super Movers but I am looking for opinions..

My name is Ron Tzabari and I am your representative at Super Movers. It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier. On behalf of Super Movers, I thank you for providing us with the opportunity to help make your move a success.

Below are the details of your move.

Summary of Charges:

Truck(s)

Men

Hours

Hourly Charge

Total

Load/ Unload

$99.00

$693.00

Travel Time(back and forth)

$99.00

$99.00

Packing & Materials

Total Estimate (Price is valid for 3/10/2007)

$790.00

* Estimate is 3 hr. minimum (including travel time). Additional hours will be charged by the
rate per hour (in 15 minute increments).
* Additional manpower is available upon request (4, 5, 6 or more men).

Your estimate includes full service and is based on an hourly rate:
** Fully equipped truck. ** Door to door pick up and delivery. ** Loading and unloading. ** Labor ** Free packing. ** Free use of wardrobe boxes. ** Disassembly and reassembly of basic furniture if necessary. ** Wrapping and protecting of your furniture with blankets is free of charge. ** Blankets are free of charge. ** Proper placement of each piece of furniture, appliance, box or item in your desired location of the premises at the delivery address at no additional cost. ** No charge for extra stops. ** No charge for fuel, tolls, mileage and or any transportation fees. ** No tax. ** No charge for stairs. ** No charge for long carry. ** Free box delivery in the San Francisco area and the Los Angeles area. ** Basic valuation coverage (insurance tariff) of $0.60 per lbs. per article is included. Full coverage can be obtained through: Moving Insurance.com 1-888-893-8835 Baker International: 1-800-356-0093

thanks![/quote]

Nancy

Re: Moving 8 miles to another house - Super Movers in California quoted me

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:16 pm

Two things that give me red flags. Did they come to your home? ALL moves in CA are required to have a GNTE. He didn't really give you one. He just gave rates and said IF extra guys are needed, then you pay more.

Also, according the CA Tariff, they are REQUIRED to offer you valuation at a fee. They are referring you to Baker Insurance for anything more than 60 cents per pound. The Public Utilities Commission and the Max 4 Tariff require that the mover offer Replacement Coverage and Depreciated Coverage. This may sound minor, but if they aren't complying with the tariff on that issue, what else are they ignoring??

It's funny how they write: No tax. ** No charge for stairs. ** No charge for long carry. ** OK, on an hourly move, there is never a separate charge for stairs or long carries. There also is never sales tax on a SERVICE. Way to state the obvious.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:22 pm

Also, do a search at the top of this page with "Super Movers" in quotes.

Here's a sample of what you'll find:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... art+movers

CitznFish

Postby CitznFish » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:01 pm

Nancy wrote:Also, do a search at the top of this page with "Super Movers" in quotes.

Here's a sample of what you'll find:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... art+movers

Thank you. :)

I had done a search already, but the BBB link had them rated as an "A".

The price is right, I will be there the entire time, and I will be supervising the entire move. I'm not sure how I could go wrong with this. If I were moving a long distance then I'd be worried.

Now I am just confused. :)

I wish other members here had experience with local moves. I know the guy Def. didn't come out and do the quote, he quoted me over the phone.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:02 pm

Ask him to come to your home. They will not honor ANY quote near $790.

You mentioned other quotes at $2200, did they come to your home?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:06 pm

CitznFish,

Where is your move? You seem to be posting from New York City.

CitznFish

Postby CitznFish » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:10 pm

Diane wrote:CitznFish,

Where is your move? You seem to be posting from New York City.

I currently live in Thousand Oaks and I am moving to Simi Valley. (8 miles away)

I work in North Hollywood (Where I am posting from). Not sure why it would say NYC? If anything it might show Seattle, Burbank, or Las Vegas (Where our network covers us)

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:12 pm

If you're in the LA area I would recommend that you get a quote from Delancey Street-Los Angeles. They will give you great service for a reasonable price. Dozens of good reviews are on this review thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377 - and contact info is in the second post on that thread.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

CitznFish

Postby CitznFish » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:13 pm

Nancy wrote:Ask him to come to your home. They will not honor ANY quote near $790.

You mentioned other quotes at $2200, did they come to your home?

They won't honor it? On the phone he said it may be lower but it wouldn't be any higher. Is he just flat out lying to me? :shock:

The 2K quote was from ABC-moving and they came out and looked around. But 2K just seems insanely high. It's not like the house is full of stuff, I might have 40 boxes tops, plus 13 classic arcade games and 8 pinball machines and assorted furniture and tool boxes.

After reading this site I am building up distrust against all movers, but I may be a little paranoid..

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:24 pm

CitznFish wrote:On the phone he said it may be lower but it wouldn't be any higher. Is he just flat out lying to me? :shock:

To be blunt, yes.

Your pinball machines and other arcade games may be very heavy and tricky to move - I don't know. What I do know is that Super Movers will find some way to increase the price they quoted on the phone. Typically they will charge for excessive packing materials and so on, claiming that they can't move the items without such packaging. When they are actually in your home it will be difficult for you to refuse.

Here are some things we know, as people who have been in this advice business for years:

1. Any company that doesn't offer you its own valuation coverage but refers you to a third-party insurance company is highly dubious if not an outright scammer.

2. BBB ratings are often meaningless. And why does the company have two different listings, anyway?

I'll bet that your arcade game collection has some value. Why balk at spending a reasonable amount to get decent movers? Why take a chance on price-gouging and damage?

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:28 pm

I would be hesitant to place too much emphasis on the BBB. The BBB is a good tool, but it can be misleading.

I would defintely suggest having someone come out either from T.O. or have someone from Simi take a run down the 23 to look at what you have to move, and especially look at those pinball machines. I would not be concerned as a mover as to access (I remember most homes in TO had fairly open access) but the carries could be pretty long if the home was one of the older ranches one would catch a glimpse of off the 101.

You might try NMS in Simi - here is a review of someone using them. http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9128

And I would also try Delancey Street as Diane said. Lots of people have used them with good results. Best of luck, and stay with people who have used good movers...
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

CitznFish

Postby CitznFish » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:01 pm

Jim wrote:I would be hesitant to place too much emphasis on the BBB. The BBB is a good tool, but it can be misleading.

I would defintely suggest having someone come out either from T.O. or have someone from Simi take a run down the 23 to look at what you have to move, and especially look at those pinball machines. I would not be concerned as a mover as to access (I remember most homes in TO had fairly open access) but the carries could be pretty long if the home was one of the older ranches one would catch a glimpse of off the 101.

You might try NMS in Simi - here is a review of someone using them. http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9128

And I would also try Delancey Street as Diane said. Lots of people have used them with good results. Best of luck, and stay with people who have used good movers...

Thanks everyone, I am getting a quote from Delancy Street.

I'll check with the other one you recommended as well.

If these legitimate quotes are over 1K then I'll just do it myself. I've never used movers before but thought I'd 'treat myself' this time.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:09 pm

CitznFish wrote:The 2K quote was from ABC-moving and they came out and looked around. But 2K just seems insanely high.

I am sure that is a VERY accurate quote. They are an excellent moving company for local moves and usually right on for their quotes.

If that is beyond your price range, I wouldn't waste time with Delancey. Their hourly rate is comparable to ABC. All moves have fairly consistent costs on local moves: labor, fuel and insurance. The rates are HIGHLY consistent in this competitive environment. It's just a matter of how many men, hours and trucks.

The Moving Concierge

Postby The Moving Concierge » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:17 pm

I have personally worked (on the trucks) for both NMS (Northridge Moving & Storage) and ABC Moving Systems. Both are very good moving companies. Neither will rip you off.

The 2K quote was from ABC-moving and they came out and looked around. But 2K just seems insanely high. It's not like the house is full of stuff, I might have 40 boxes tops, plus 13 classic arcade games and 8 pinball machines and assorted furniture and tool boxes. :) :) :) Funny...

Do you really believe that a company who will not come out and put their money where their mouth is - is worth their weight in salt?

I'm sure that you'd love to go with Super Movers because they are the cheapest. That is the naivete of the seldom moving client. Moving labor (when insured, bonded, equiped, and trained) is expensve.

After working on the trucks for nearly eight years myself and in the office for another 10 or so, here is a definite I will relate, free of charge:

If you give a crew an unrealistic estimate, they will A) blow it out of the water and then rightfully demand payment, or B) rush to get it done and turn your stick furniture into splinters...all the while resenting the salesman in the office. Both scenarios will upset you greatly on move day. This does not apply to over the phone quotes as they are not binding. Good luck

By the way, thanks, Nancy. ABC Moving Systems' estimates have always been exceptionally accurate. I was sales for them for years and know both remaining salespeople very well. They are the ONLY local mover I use.

Return to “Open Community”