Central Florida mover horror stories?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Central Florida mover horror stories?

Postby Guest » Sun May 11, 2003 6:11 pm

I am doing an in-town move in Lakeland, FL. Does anyone have recommendations or horror stories?

Thanks

JCR

Re: Central Florida mover horror stories?

Postby JCR » Sun May 11, 2003 10:39 pm

Guest,

whatever you do, do not hire father and son movers located in orlando and a bunch of other cities in florida. They are notorious move scammers.

I think Hilldrup Moving & Storage is pretty good and they are located in Orlando.

You also have Suddath Van Lines, another United agent. Suddath has been in business in Florida a very, very long time.

Call both of these agents and get a free estimate from them.

If you are moving locally they will charge you by the hour. Florida is now a regualted state, meaning there is a seperate governmental body the regulates moving within the state. Make sure that whomever you choose to do your move has the proper authority to do the move.

If you want any packing done they will charge you by how many boxes they pack.

Usually moving companies will give you used packing materials if you use their services, so make sure to ask.

This should get you started.

JCR

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Sun May 11, 2003 10:43 pm

Guest,

The horror stories pretty much originated in Florida. Lucky for you, the state has done a lot to clean up the intrastate moving industry down there. One thing that I may do differently down there than what I normally recommend is that instead of calling moving companies that you find in the phone book, go to their offices right off the bat and make sure that they run their business as professionally as you would want them to handle your belongings.

Also, call the Florida Division of Consumer Services for assistance. They regulate the intrastate moving industry in Florida and can give you a lot of help in choosing a mover. You can reach them at 800-435-7352.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon May 12, 2003 5:26 pm

Guest,

Also keep in mind if you search the yellow pages, that the yellow pages are not regulated either. So any moving company can advertise in there. That does not mean they can move you within Florida. So as Tim said, check with the FDCS.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

ladyuga

Postby ladyuga » Tue May 13, 2003 12:23 pm

You might want to call Small Moves. I live in Orlando and right around the corner from them, I've only lived here for a year however my husband and his family are from here and they tell me that they have been around a while. They have a huge fleet of trucks. They have a website with a phone number you could call. It's smallmovesorlando.com Just remember, I am by all means not suggesting you use them, just thought you might want to check them out to see what they have to offer.

MOVINGLADY

Postby MOVINGLADY » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:59 am

Michael wrote:Guest,

Also keep in mind if you search the yellow pages, that the yellow pages are not regulated either. So any moving company can advertise in there. That does not mean they can move you within Florida. So as Tim said, check with the FDCS.
THE STATE OF FLORIDA REQUIRES ALL MOVERS ADVERTISEMENTS, TO POST A MOVING REGULATION NUMBER.IF A MOVER NEGLECTS TO DO SO ,IT IS NOW AND HAS BEEN FOR AWHILE A VIOLATION.YOU CAN CHECK A MOVERS IM- NUMBER AT THE DEPT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS.THE IM NUMBER IS THE MOVERS, FLORIDA INTRASTATE MOVING REGULATION NUMBER.IT SHOULD BE POSTED IN PHONE DIRECTORIES,AND ALL ADVERTISEMENT ARTICLES.

Quincyeevee

Postby Quincyeevee » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:16 pm

Why did JCR only provide United Van Lines affiliates??

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:07 am

JCR may have only had first hand knowledge of the United affiliates, it's hard to provide information on others if you are not familiar with their work.

This thread began and seemed to end in 2003 - in all actuality if someone is looking for information on companies in the Lakeland, FL area now - they should read the information compiled on moving companies here for insight.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8038

You will find the mentioning of other companies in the Lakeland area vs. the options that were provided in 2003 for service from Orlando.
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

povphile

Postby povphile » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:52 am

I am gonna throw my hat in the agree with everybody ring. In state moves in florida do seem to go pretty smoothly but check the movers as well as you can. Also check the drivers. Ask them to show you their Drivers Lic. Get the Tag numbers of the truck and trailer and the DOT or MC numbers from the truck.

You cant have too much information about the people you just gave all your worldly posessions to.
Don't argue with a fool, people may not be able to tell the difference.

Return to “Open Community”