**Good reviews of moving companies in Florida

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Bolero

**Good reviews of moving companies in Florida

Postby Bolero » Sat May 07, 2005 1:24 pm

Hi everyone. First, thank you to all the volunteers for such useful and headache-saving (not to mention $-saving!) information.
I spent hours reading the articles and doing searches for the companies/agents I found in my local directory--and I learned a lot.

Now, I just found out my future employer has 3 companies it works with (employer will be directly billed--which is nice). I found only positive info on two (Graebel So. FLA Movers and Armstrong Relocation/United) but nothing on A1-Fargo in So. Fla.

I'm moving from New Haven, CT to Hollywood Fl.

So, my requests for info are:

1. Any info/experiences with A1-Fargo (agent for Atlas, Gary L Hale-305-670-9501; 7700 SW 100 St, Miami). Fla mover reg IM404; US DOT 125550.

2. One post from Michael mentioned the smallish size of Graebel as a potential issue, e.g., they may pick up off-street help in NC--I didn't quite understand that (would you elaborate?). I just checked their website and they have agents close to New Haven. So, could I assume that there would be continuity? I really want the driver and assistant to be part of loading and unloading crew. The info on my employer's site shows Steve Brown as the main contact for the So. Fla location.

3. Any specific info/experience with Rob Hurt at Armstrong Relocation / United Van Lines? (866-387-0462). They use US DOT from United (077949) and ICC MC-67234

I'll get in-home pricing from all three and, although I have a "choice", the employer will favor the lowest bid, so it would make me feel better to know something about all.

Thank you in advance for any help and all the time you put into this!

Oh! And to add some positive feedback on good agents-for what is worth, I had a wonderful move 3 years ago from FL to CT, with North American Van Lines, local agent in Tallahassee FL. And that one was self-paid.

Diane

Re: A1-Fargo in So. Fla agent for Atlas or Armstrong--any in

Postby Diane » Sat May 07, 2005 2:08 pm

Hi - I don't think anyone has ever posted about A-1 Fargo. The Atlas agent that we have a very positive review on here is A-1 Moving in Jupiter, but that is 85 miles from Miami.

I think that Michael has posted very positive things about Graebel in South FL. What he meant by not having a crew usually would have to do with services at destination, not at origin. The drivers can almost always get people loaded but sometimes they are stuck without an unloading crew at destination. I don't think this will be a problem in your particular case, but I'm sure that Michael will come on to say more.

I know nothing about Armstrong except that it has a very good reputation nationally. Any time an employer is paying for a move with a group of selected agents your chances of getting a good move are much greater.

Thanks so much for the good report on the North American agent. I went on their website and found this company listed for Tallahassee:

Aadvantage North American
738 Capital Circle, N.W.
Tallahassee, FL 32304

Do you happen to recall whether this was the name of the agent?

Bolero

Re: Good reviews of moving companies in Florida

Postby Bolero » Sun May 08, 2005 10:31 am

Thanks Diane for the info. I'm pretty sure the address sounds right for the Tallahassee agent. Now that I'm packing I'll be in the look out for the paperwork and confirm it. I got a "not to exceed" estimate from the home visit. Packers came two days in a row to pack fragile stuff (did a great job), labeled all the boxes, nothing missing/broken (only one of the self-packed boxes got damaged in the outside but nothing in the inside was damaged and things were glasses, coffee mugs). They weighted the truck and I actually got a small refund later since actual weight was less than estimated. The truck and crew arrived exactly on time the day of loading, they shrinkwrapped everything I asked for, used lots of blankets for the rest, and were very patient with my constantly barking dogs. The driver (I hope I can find his name) was very funny all throughout, easy to get a hold of while in route, and the delivery was 10 days later, within the estimated time (7-10 days) despite being the one before last unload out of five.
He even had good suggestions on how to fit all the furniture (I moved into a much smaller place than the original) and it worked great. I actually had a good time during unloading.

Will be hard to top this experience...so I was a bit disappointed when North America was not in my employer's list, but thanks to this site I feel much better going with either Graebel or Armstrong. I hope to hear from more people about them and/or A1-Fargo in Miami.

Fortunately, I don't have large/heavy things just lots of boxes. So two people can load/unload. I'll have my valuable fragiles packed by company again so they are responsible. As I get the details from the home visits, I'll post to get your opinions.

Thanks!

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun May 08, 2005 2:48 pm

Bolero,

Steve Brown is a great guy and runs a tight ship in Florida. Their facility is immaculate. And I would highly recommend anyone to Steve Brown. Steve is the VP and GM of that particular office, and whether or not he would be the one you talk too throughout the process is highly doubtful In all likelyhood you would be turned over to the coordinator that handles the account.

Because you are a National Account, your service level with Graebel will be a step above what it would be, if not two steps, if you were a COD shipment.

I know you wont get scammed by any of the companies you mentioned.

The most important thing with summer moves is to be patient and flexible.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Bolero

Postby Bolero » Sun May 08, 2005 6:58 pm

Thank you Diane and Michael, you've given me the best gift I wanted right now (yesterday was my birthday)--peace of mind.

:D :D :D

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun May 08, 2005 9:43 pm

Happy Birthday!

B PANTZ

Postby B PANTZ » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:48 pm

Hi! Boy, am I glad I found you guys! We're moving mid-July from Ft. Lauderdale to Sarasota (intrastate), and the movers are coming tomorrow to give estimates. A-1 Fargo is one of them, so I will keep you updated. The other two are Bekins of South Florida and J & B Movers in Boca. Any input about these three would be very helpful. Michael.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:26 pm

I've changed the title of this thread to try to keep some good reviews of FL movers together. To date we have the following:

1. Tallahassee - a good report above about Aadvantage (North American) for an interstate move.

2. Jupiter - a couple of good reports about A-1 Moving and Storage (Atlas).
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3524 (interstate)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5731 (local move)

3. Pompano - a good report on Bekins of South Florida. I'm not sure of the location of this company (it could be in Fort Lauderdale), so ask for Bob Jones.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5721 (move within FL)

4. Miami - a good report on A-1 Fargo (Atlas) - the author says they also have a location in Pompano.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6010 (interstate)

Also in Miami - Joe's Moving and Storage (Paul Arpin).
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4491 (move within FL)

Also in Miami - good remarks above by "Michael" about Graebel of South Florida.

5. Deerfield Beach - a good report on Suddath (United).
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5533 and
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6013 (interstate)

6. St. Petersburg - a good report on Beach Transfer (Tom Kilpatrick) -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4457 (several within-state moves)

Finally, since many ask about reputable FL companies to move autos, there is a good review of Ron Bailey Auto Broker, Inc. in West Palm Beach (phone 800-637-6969 or 561-686-3001; MC #183424) -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4474 (move from CA to FL)
Judging from www.safersys.org, I think that this company may have some of its own trucks as well.

Krillin

Postby Krillin » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:21 pm

I just used Paulk's Moving and Storage (Panama City, FL) for a self-paid move. Everything arrived intact and on-time, and the charge was a little less than the not-to-exceed quote, but communication was horrible.

I was given a three-day loading window, and their website said they would come on the third day. But at 7:30 AM on the first day, I got a call from the shuttle driver saying that they were coming in a half hour! The guy at the office said he "couldn't believe" that no one had called to tell me they had to come early. So I had to do the dishes and finish packing while they did inventory and loaded. As a result I couldn't supervise them and their inventory was short several items. (Most likely because they ran out of paper. They had three sheets to begin with and had to go back to get a fourth. All four were completely filled up. Since all my items arrived, they probably just said "screw it" and didn't inventory the final items they put on the truck.)

I was exhausted at the end due to the hurried packing job, so I forgot to write in my shipment valuation or ask for a sheet to list items of extraordinary value. Real professionals wouldn't have allowed me to make that oversight.

When my shipment arrived, the driver had no record of my credit card payment. So I had to call up the booking office and have them straighten things out. The driver also complained that the bookers hadn't filled out the forms completely.

A friend used Panama City's North American affiliate and had no complaints. I didn't use them because they only offered a fixed price which was $500 higher than Paulk's not-to-exceed price.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:46 pm

It seems like this was a major case of lack of communication, but I don't believe it was a "scam". It could have been handled a lot better on Paulk's part, though to begin with. Did you ever get an apology?

Celo

Postby Celo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:25 pm

I used A-1 Fargo twice and the experience was absolutely great both times.

The first time was in december 27, 2007; not a good time for moving in a place where people is on vacation mood during these dates. I moved from Puerto Rico to Miami. At the time my employer paid for the move and they also provided the company (A-1 Fargo). Because they don't have offices in Puerto Rico, A-1 Fargo sent a local company they partnered with to my home to evaluate the moving and prepared for the supplies they will need. They took care of everything (disassembling, packing, loading). They even moved my car (they shipped it in the same container with the rest of my belongings). Both in Puerto Rico and in Miami they were on time, they very respectful and they took very good care of my belongings. They were great and fast and they cleaned the place before leaving.

After such a great experience I contacted them again in 2010 when I moved from Miami to Orlando, FL. This time I was paying, and even though they are not cheap, I choose to stay with them (and honestly, I'm very happy I did, after reading so many negative experiences in this forum!)
A identify myself as a former client and they sent a representative to my home. This person estimated the cost by volume and weight and gave a quote before leaving (he came with a laptop and a printer).
The movers arrived on time, worked fast and took very good care of everything. They kept a very organized record of every box and items they loaded. The same crew made the deliver. They unloaded into a storage and they even helped me decide the smallest storage size I needed, given the volume. The crew was very friendly and professional.

I have nothing but great words for their work. Actually, I'm visiting this forum because I'm moving again (this time to Illinois) and I was looking for affordable companies with great reviews. But after reading the forum main post and some of the reviews, I think I will contact them again, will try to get the best price possible and not even look for different alternatives.

Return to “Open Community”