Central Moving Systems / Simonik (NJ)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
NJ - New Mexico

Central Moving Systems / Simonik (NJ)

Postby NJ - New Mexico » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:42 pm

Hi - I am so glad that I found this site, as it has been VERY helpful! :D

Now I need some advise.

Moving from NJ to New Mexico at the end of this month and I have to make a decision today regarding the company and my brain is so scrambled - LOL!

I had 4 local agents for major companies come to give me in home estimates. I have a small load with only 2 small pieces of furniture and the rest are boxes.

I have narrowed it down to Central Moving Systems in Bridgewater (Mayflower): they quoted a guaranteed price of $1971 based on weight of 2,800 pounds

and Simonik in Bridgewater (Allied): they quoted guaranteed price of $1948 based on $2,058 pounds

Has anyone used these companies?
Is a service management fee a standard charge? Simonik charged $300
Is Org. extra labor fee standard? Central charged $216.45

BTW, I discarded quotes from Apollo (North American), All-Jersey (Paul Arpin) and Sopko (Wheaton) because they were way over $2,000; All-Jersey was over $3,000 and they were not guaranteed quotes.

I must say that the reps for Central, Simonik, and Sopko were extremely professional, pleasant and they took their time in doing a thorough walk through. They also explained a lot in plain english and answered ALL my questions, as I had many.
I never felt like I was being rushed are talked down to.

If anyone can think of anything else I shoud ask them to make a final decision, please let me know.

Thanks so much! :D

farrah7031

Re: I Need Help

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:51 pm

Do you have a Guaranteed not to Exceed quote from both companies?

There's over 700 pounds of difference in weight. Did you look at the inventory lists to see what was missing/added?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:09 pm

Hi - did you look at our reviews of NJ movers at this post and the two following?
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7660#57660
The reason I ask is that you mention two companies - Sopko and Apollo - that don't have good remarks here.

I think you'll be OK with either Central or Simonik. The extra fees you mention sound like they could be a charge for picking up your stuff and bringing it to the companies' warehouse for consolidation on a larger truck. Sometimes this happens with small loads. The fees are not illegal although it might have been better if they had told you what they were for in plain English.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

NJ - New Mexico

Postby NJ - New Mexico » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:09 pm

I am checking the wording on the guarantees and the inventories.
Thanks

NJ - New Mexico

Postby NJ - New Mexico » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:17 pm

Diane - I did check out the link after they came out for the estimate.
So I knew I would not use them anyway. The Apollo rep reminded me of a shady car salesman.
Thanks

NJ - New Mexico

Postby NJ - New Mexico » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:06 pm

Ok - now I want to start pulling my hair out. :evil:

Follow-up to yesterday, yes both quotes are guaranteed to not to exceed.

But now, after everything was all set with Central (Mayflower) and then at 8AM today I get an email and call from the sales rep telling me that his operations dept. said that the last trailer to come to my complex could not get in or get close enough to the unit. Therefore, they will have to revise the quote to add a shuttle fee of $264.43 to the original quote of $1,970.26 (smaller truck loads to trailer). BTW, I did not sign anything yet.

I am pissed because when the rep was here, we made a point to walk from my door to both parking lots near my unit (one in back and the other to the left) and he said that the trailer would not have any problem. The distance to both lots and the street from my unit is about 60 steps.
We have moving trailers in my complex all the time.
I am really starting to think that this is a way to add to their profit since I have a small load - under 3,000 pounds.
I don't know if I should go back to Simonik (Allied) since thid has to be wrapped up today for a pick-up of Friday, March 30.
Any advice for me?
Thanks.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:06 pm

We have this delimma often too....what it usually boils down to, the salesperson has never even been in a truck, but they can 'tell' that it won't be a problem. Trucks these days are about 75 feet long and at most aparments, there will be cars parked/tight turns/ landscaping, etc. that will make it difficult for a big truck. I doubt it was a ploy, more than likely a misinformed salesperson...offer to split the amount with them if you still want them to move you. and the other companies trucks are just as big, so there is guarantee that they won't have the same problem. Just because 'trucks come in my complex all the time' does not mean that a massive 18 wheeler 75 feet long can...and even then sometimes one driver will try something that another won't. Recently one of our rigs tried to save a customer $250 in shuttle fees, and tore $7,000 worth of the side of his trailer out on a concrete wall.

NJ - New Mexico

Postby NJ - New Mexico » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:30 pm

Thanks Archie for the reply and info. It does make sense to me about the drivers getting the trailer in without doing damage to their equipment, others or the complex. I'll see if they are willing to split the difference.

I appreciate all the feedback and will be sure to post a review after my move.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:35 pm

Lets answer two other questions you asked about?

Management service fee from Allied?? I believe that is the sales person's commission on the move. At least that is what I have been told before from fellow Allied agents. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

The extra labor fee from Central?? Are they inspecting PBO's and repacking any? Are they carrying your goods up or down more then 2/3 flights of stairs?? Extra labor is just that. Not a fee to bring your goods to a warehouse to be loaded later. Neither is the management service fee.

Archie is 100% on in regards to sales people and trucks. Not all trucks are the same size. So even if you see trucks in your complex all the time doesnt mean they are all the same size. Central is protecting itself incase a shuttle is required. If it isnt, you will not be charged for a shuttle service. The driver makes the call not the sales person. I have seen huge trucks get into tight spaces before and I have seen drivers not even try before to get into spaces they could have easily fit in.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:24 pm

just a guess and nancy will correct me if im wrong but with the allied tpg program the agent has a base rate he must charge as a minimum for the vanlines and then they can add on what ever the market will bear for a profit..navl has this also in their pricelock shipments....

NJ - New Mexico

Postby NJ - New Mexico » Sat May 05, 2007 7:49 pm

Hi All - I made it to Albuquerque and finally finshed unpacking.
I wanted to post many thanks to all for the information and advice and to give you a review of my move.

I did contract with Simonik (Allied) based on the fact that they were able to drive the trailer into my complex. So there was no extra charge for transporting my stuff to their warehouse in a smaller truck. They also included some used wardrobes and boxes for paintings at no charge.
I felt very comfortable with Jack Moriarty and his ability to answer all my questions. He was very professional, courteous and friendly. He was able to make all of the arrangements per my requests and followed up several times. I was extremely happy with the quality of service from Jack and everyone I had contact with at Simonik.

The packing crew was also professional and friendly. They arrived on time and worked efficiently to load the truck while taking absolute care with my items.

The driver, Otis Espy and his assistant, Thomas Armstrong contacted me several times from the road to keep me updated on their progress. They delivered my goods within the delivery spread and worked well to unload and go over the inventory with me. There was no loss or damage during the move or any surprise fees. :lol:

All in all is was a pleasant experience. I would absolutely recommend Simonik and Jack Moriarty for those seeking a reliable, cost-effective, professional moving company. With the help of this community and Simonik, my move was far less stressful than I anticipated and I am very thankful.
Peace & Light,
Liz - ABQ
:lol:

Return to “Open Community”